Signed by Cowboys La’el Collins Signs New 5 Year Contract

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
LOL.

That's called planning.

So the plan was to have four of your ten highest paid players be OL, have the most expensive OL in the league (by far) and then on top of that, pay your TB #1 money?

That's not very smart planning, Jerry.
Jerry is an idiot, just when I thought he might have put the blue label down for a while.

quickccc

Reaction score
You misheard him.

They won't overpay for average FAs. But they apparently will overpay their own guys.

nope I didn't mishear Stephen.

" Own guys " such as Anthony Hitchens, ..own guys such as Barry Church, .Mo Claiborne, .....Brandon Carr ....Orlando Scandrick ....Damien Wilson, ...Ron Leary ..etc. etc.
we've let average our-own-guys walk into FA.

Sydla

Reaction score
The armchairs are correct tho. You can't draft O line top 3 rounds 2 drafts in a row all while currently having the most expensive o line in the league. Something has to give. You need better production from late round picks or cheap FA's.

It makes zero sense.

And on top of now having the highest paid OL, they will likely make their TB the highest paid TB in football.

There's no way any of this is logical. Part of me thinks the Cowboys are arrogant enough to think that while the rest of the league probably looks at them cockeyed, they think they are the smartest people in the league.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
The fact that all these extensions are getting done but not Zeke's really tells you something about the type of contract Zeke wants and the type of hardball his agents are playing. The Jones's have been a lot of things, but they've always handed out fair contracts to players they cared about.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
It makes zero sense.

And on top of now having the highest paid OL, they will likely make their TB the highest paid TB in football.

There's no way any of this is logical. Part of me thinks the Cowboys are arrogant enough to think that while the rest of the league probably looks at them cockeyed, they think they are the smartest people in the league.
Jerry is so dumb he thinks the GMs are laughing with him, not at him.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
Only 32 guaranteed is soo nuts!!

Bravo, Jerry & Co!!!

I can’t believe we have his rights for 5 more years with only 32 guaranteed!!!

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
and all the more reason why it's puzzling, because you don't draft backups in the 3rd round.
Usually you see drafting of OL guys that high up with the intent that they will immediately or eventually very near in the future starting in the trenches.

I agree. It's a head scratcher.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
We’ll move him back to guard eventually and send Connor out wide..

I love it...

Dak can be good with a bunch of help...

Here you go, Dak...

Sydla

Reaction score
$32MM guaranteed would make Collins the 3rd highest paid RT.

LOL. This franchise.

Sydla

Reaction score
What do you think he’ll rank in 2 years?? Like, 15th?

Still around the Top 5, which will be insane for an average RT.

Lane Johnson signed 2 years ago and still has a Top 2 contract. The only guy in the Top 15 who is coming up for a new deal in the next year or two, is Jack Conklin.

Again with the silly logic of it's OK to overspend now because in a few years, the contract won't be seen as large.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm happy for him but we still need zeke

Well in theory, you shouldn't need Zeke if you are paying (by far) for the best OL in football, like Jerry claims.

It's completely bizarre logic this organization is using right now. And it's going to come at a price........... when we see guys like M. Collins and Byron Jones and another defender or two (likely Quinn if he has a really good year) walk because we simply lack the cap space.

CWR

Reaction score
Ha, Zeke is pissed. This shows me we are keeping the oline in tact despite our RB. I could be way off though jmo.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's a pretty average RT. He struggles in pass protection but decent in run blocking.

I have to see the nitty gritty of the contract but frankly, I am not sure this signing makes much sense at all. Especially if it eats up space that could go to a guy like Byron Jones or Maliek Collins, who are both better and more important players IMO.
Can't wait for your thoughts once the contract details are released. :popcorn:

Jeffkills

Reaction score
Still around the Top 5, which will be insane for an average RT.

Lane Johnson signed 2 years ago and still has a Top 2 contract. The only guy in the Top 15 who is coming up for a new deal in the next year or two, is Jack Conklin.

Again with the silly logic of it's OK to overspend now because in a few years, the contract won't be seen as large.

What, no way, Dude. It won’t be near the top five. In three years, when we still have him under contract for another 3 years he’ll be 15th highest paid for sure - values for tackles will continue to increase.

Go look at the guarantees we have on Tyron, FredBeard, and Martin...

This was a smart deal, Bro! Six years for 32 guaranteed is $$$..