Signed by Cowboys La’el Collins Signs New 5 Year Contract

Sydla

Reaction score
I thought the norm with such as per Stephen Jones, is not to re-sign and overpay for average players - and Lael has been an average playing player at this point of his career.
That's why I tend to believe something is up and happening behind the scenes, something has to have changed the game plan of the OL in near future.

You misheard him.

They won't overpay for average FAs. But they apparently will overpay their own guys.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That is the position I would to see him at.
he requested a move to RT he wanted RT money, they arent goig to pay him like a Tackle and move him back to guard UNLESS Cwill just completely stops progressing their and they realize a mistake has been made.. if a player earned new deal at RT why would he be moved to Guard? I believe his more natural postion is LT as hes left handed and his struggle to adapt his first step hard right was tough and hes finally turning the corner on that and looked better late in the year last year then earlier..

all these posts about these are messages to EE, hey 2 other players have turned down deals they should have taken as well.. Aamri and Dak are not wearing Halos just because they didnt hold out..they turned down BIG and very Fair offers but wanting MORE makes them just as bad as Zeke, Zeke being a RB felt like this was his only play and took it, I dont blame him.. I want them all back game 1 together to beat the NATS..

sick of hearing about these signings as messages.

NO they are NOT.. they simply were easier deals that players took what they were offered.. those other 3 that are ALL stuck and were the priorities this off season is shocker but EE held out but all 3 of these dudes are playing hardball, period.. we dont know the contract details of any of them really.. I believe more to come in the next 24-48s with at least Zeke and Dak..

phildadon86

Reaction score
It's bizarre logic.

Frankly, it's kind of stupid logic.

And I can't wait for the cherry on top of that sundae............... when we then pay the QB Top 3 money.
Why is it stupid? We have a top OL we keep it, we are built to run. We pay the line. Im not understanding how its stupid?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
We have too much money invested in one unit. They haven't even played close to the best o line in football the last 2 seasons and yet are the most expensive O line in the NFL. I know Jerry knows business, but this is not a good return on your investment.

quickccc

Reaction score
Unexpected. Well....McGovern will either provide legitimate competition to Williams next year or provide excellent depth as a backup interior OL.

and all the more reason why it's puzzling, because you don't draft backups in the 3rd round.
Usually you see drafting of OL guys that high up with the intent that they will immediately or eventually very near in the future starting in the trenches.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Did NOT see this one coming... according to all the arm chairs here, Collins was set to be cut...hummm

Sydla

Reaction score
Why is it stupid? We have a top OL we keep it, we are built to run. We pay the line. Im not understanding how its stupid?

Because you have a disproportional amount of resources now tied up in the OL and the running game (when you overpay Zeke).

Cap space isn't infinite. When you have a disproportional amount of resources tied into one area of the team, you have to skimp somewhere else. It's the reality of the NFL salary cap. You can't pay everyone.

And what's going to happen, for sure, is that the Cowboys are going to have to skimp somewhere else and that's going to be on defense and likely with a guy like Jones, who I would much rather have than La'el Collins............. or they may have to let Maliek Collins go, who again, is probably a better player than L. Collins.

We now have the most expensive OL in football and it's not even close.......... and guess what? They actually haven't even played like a Top 5 OL recently.

It's just a horrendously dumb decision and waste of resources. You just signed an average RT to what reports say is Top 5 RT money. In what world is that smart?

HanD

Reaction score
he requested a move to RT he wanted RT money, they arent goig to pay him like a Tackle and move him back to guard UNLESS Cwill just completely stops progressing their and they realize a mistake has been made.. if a player earned new deal at RT why would he be moved to Guard?

top rt money is actually a bit less than top OG money these days. if his new contract was for 10/aav, he would be 10th in guards and 4th for RTs.

PLAYER
AVERAGE

Zack Martin
GUARD $14,000,000

Andrew Norwell
GUARD $13,300,000

Kelechi Osemele
GUARD $11,700,000

Trai Turner
GUARD $11,250,000

Gabe Jackson
GUARD $11,000,000

Trenton Brown
RIGHT TACKLE $16,500,000

Ja'Wuan James
RIGHT TACKLE $12,750,000

Lane Johnson
RIGHT TACKLE $11,252,000

Ricky Wagner
RIGHT TACKLE $9,500,000

Rob Havenstein
RIGHT TACKLE $8,125,000
Rodger Saffold
GUARD $11,000,000

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Did NOT see this one coming... according to all the arm chairs here, Collins was set to be cut...hummm
The armchairs are correct tho. You can't draft O line top 3 rounds 2 drafts in a row all while currently having the most expensive o line in the league. Something has to give. You need better production from late round picks or cheap FA's.