Lack of big FA Spending

visionary

Reaction score
Those teams had Brady, Mahomes etc in place.

And again. Ignoring the simple fact that FA over the last decade has not been the recipe for success.

We've underachieved. But it hasn't been because of free agency.

oh so only KC and TB are allowed to spend in FA

Got it

:facepalm:

PUSHfold

Reaction score
No I want to draft. Dalton sucks. He just gets the same team results as Dak because both guys don't make a difference in the outcome of games because they aren't good enough.

I can't even take you seriously anymore...Seriously I just can't....everything you post is a laugh.
How someone can seriously think Dak and Dalton are the same quality blows my mind.

Sydla

Reaction score

According to this tweet, every Super Bowl winner has been between 10th and 26th the previous offseason. Not sure of each season but the Cowboys are 32nd by a wide margin over the last 5 years. Somebody shared an article a couple weeks ago about free agent spending and the Cowboys were so low they were off the charts.

That was me. I believe it was PFF that did an analysis and the Cowboys were a clear outlier because they were so bad and so cheap at FA that it was skewing the results so they simply dropped them from the analysis.

Flamma

Reaction score
You need a mix of all of this, being penny pinchers in FA doesn't get you Super Bowls either when you have glaring holes.

Which makes me wonder why I was against the Dak signing. It's not like the Cowboys would have taken advantage of that. Their approach never changes.

Back in 2016 when they were paying Dak in turnips, what did they do after the 13-3 season to prepare for 2017? Nothing. The same approach with seemingly no variation due to circumstances.

Sydla

Reaction score
Those teams had Brady, Mahomes etc in place.

And again. Ignoring the simple fact that FA over the last decade has not been the recipe for success.

We've underachieved. But it hasn't been because of free agency.

This is just not an accurate statement. As has been shown in multiple tweets, SB winners have absolutely used FA, way more than we have. No, maybe they weren't the top spenders in a two year window in FA but they absolutely spent way more in FA than we have.

There is a wide chasm in FA usage between spending out of control in FA and spending very little in FA (which we do). Neither plan really works.

fivetwos

Reaction score
That was me. I believe it was PFF that did an analysis and the Cowboys were a clear outlier because they were so bad and so cheap at FA that it was skewing the results so they simply dropped them from the analysis.
The hysterical part is you know those two are sitting on their high horse gloating....thinking they are doing a great job and are outsmarting the rest of the league.

aria

Reaction score
Right. Every other team in the league has used a 1st round pick on a DT, at least 1. Only the Cowboys have never drafted a DT in the first round.
Ahhhhhh....gotchya!

fivetwos

Reaction score
This is just not an accurate statement. As has been shown in multiple tweets, SB winners have absolutely used FA, way more than we have. No, maybe they weren't the top spenders in a two year window in FA but they absolutely spent way more in FA than we have.

There is a wide chasm in FA usage between spending out of control in FA and spending very little in FA (which we do). Neither plan really works.
Just as an example (I realize the guy had a burning passion to play for the Browns as do most)....but if we signed a guy like John Johnson along with what we've done, I think most of us would have shut it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I can't even take you seriously anymore...Seriously I just can't....everything you post is a laugh.
How someone can seriously think Dak and Dalton are the same quality blows my mind.

I don’t think they are the same quality.. I never said that.

I said they both have the same impact on the outcome of games.

Dak is a better player but it’s not enough to make a difference. At 40 million it’s just pure stupidity to sign Dak.. We did it.. Enjoy your mediocrity.

Sydla

Reaction score
Every year people show up to say the same things, try to defend the Cowboys way of doing things. Every year they end up with egg on their faces as the Cowboys FA moves end up blowing up and not really helping the team and the clear holes are still present.

But I like their dedication. They come right back in March and April making the same excuses/rationales for the Cowboys FA plan.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
oh so only KC and TB are allowed to spend in FA

Got it

:facepalm:
Read the original post. Historically, SB winners have been in the bottom half of the league in FA spending.

When listing those QBs I was obviously pointing to what was the overarching reason those teams advanced to the SB and it was their QB play not what they did on the margin in FA.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
That's a helluva breakdown. Ickes for the win...
It's not. He just listed names and not price.

TB was 14th in FA spending last year.
KC 13th in FA spending the year before.
Denver the year he referenced was 26th in FA spending.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just accept your mediocrity and move on. It's what most of you wanted anyways.
Yeah, everyone here wants the team to be mediocre …

I'm not sure how much more nonsensical a comment can get to a bunch of folks that have such a huge interest in the team that they spend significant time on this website almost every day.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Relax.

Per usual when people think about spending in free Agency they often discount dollars we spend on our own guys. This year it was Dak securing the bag.

While this team has underachieved for numerous reasons... Not routinely buying other teams' players at market price isn't it.

We spent dollars on Prescott, you are right.

But we also spent dollars bringing back Lewis.

Try to sugarcoat it as you wish.

We are doing exactly what we have done for years, which is failing to take advantage of the opportunities that exist in free agency.

Everyone can see how our special brand of caution has paid off for us in the last decade.

Sydla

Reaction score

First, Ickes looked at it in two year windows, not just one year, I believe. So Denver spent more in FA over that two years for example. Maybe I read that wrong but it appears he was looking at FA classes over two offseasons.

Second, the argument you are making is a bit of a strawman. Not many here are criticizing the Cowboys for not spending "big" in free agency. The TB spending that ranked them 14th in one offseason? It dwarfs what Dallas typically does in FA. The reality is most of the SB contenders have been more active in FA than we have. That's pretty undeniable.

Last edited:

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

But they still spent money. 75m is not peanuts

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yeah, everyone here wants the team to be mediocre …

I'm not sure how much more nonsensical a comment can get to a bunch of folks that have such a huge interest in the team that they spend significant time on this website almost every day.
He just can't stop venting. It's a medical thing, I think.