La'el Collins excited for first NFL game

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

1. Brandon George ‏@DMN_George 17m17 minutes ago
    Cowboys OL La'el Collins on dressing for his 1st NFL game Sunday: "I’m extremely excited. I can’t wait. This weekend is going to be huge."

2. Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 17m17 minutes ago
    La'el Collins: "I feel like I've gotten better each and every week. ... I feel like I'm physically capable of everything."

1. Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean 3m3 minutes ago
      LG Ron Leary listed as doubtful for Sunday's game, but the Cowboys say he's a game-time decision.

2. Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 6m6 minutes ago
      Ron Leary did not practice Friday, listed as doubtful for Sunday in Philly

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I halfway hope he gets his first start because I really want to see him. But Fletcher Cox is a beast, and I think Collins could struggle with him.

I'm so conflicted.

JDSmith

Reaction score
I would rather take a chance on a guy who might be able to beat him Vs. a guy Cox would likely beat like a drum consistently in Benrie. I like Bernie as a backup, but I just dont think he can match up with the elite

Leary struggled mightily with Cox last year. Collins isn't as good. I just don't see Collins winning that battle and I would think that it's going to take some quality teamwork to keep Cox controlled. Seems Bernie is better suited for that as he's had more experience with the rest of the line.

RunDMC

Reaction score
Cox is a beast, not sure I want Collins first game in the NFL to be against him.

Rather have a rookie who has the power and athleticism to handle Cox over Bern. We can help him out if/when necessary. Leary doesn't have the athleticism that Collins possesses either. They will likely move him around so we'll see Martin matched up against him as well.

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Leary struggled mightily with Cox last year. Collins isn't as good. I just don't see Collins winning that battle and I would think that it's going to take some quality teamwork to keep Cox controlled. Seems Bernie is better suited for that as he's had more experience with the rest of the line.

Collins has a chance to win that battle. I wouldnt even be concered so much about Leary VS Cox. Sometimes a guy just gets the best of a guy. Smith abused JPP most of his career, and then last year the tables turned.

What does concern me is putting an inferior player like Benrie in there just because he has experience, and only a small portion of which is good. Thats a Wade Phillips move IMO

superonyx

Reaction score
Since we are not professionals in judging talent or development of offensive line players I will have to defer to the coaching staff on this one..

I will say that I would be a little disappointed in Collins development if he was a potential top 10 pick and was held on the bench by the coaches in favor or Bernie. It's not like we are a team who is afraid to play a rookie on the OL.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Cox isn't a sack machine. I don't think Collins is going to get beat routinely. As long as Romo isn't on his back or sacked 6 times in this game, we'll do fine with either Collins or Bernie.

marchetta

Reaction score
I'll bet he does too. It sounds like the team has already told him, which is the reason why he's so pumped up.

Exactly. He wouldn't be pumped up to dress and sit on the bench. He's starting. Thanks Leary, but it's LC's job from now on.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
When players don't practice the Friday before a game during Garrett's tenure 99% of the time they don't play.

Get well soon Leary. Collins, come on down.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would rather take a chance on a guy who might be able to beat him Vs. a guy Cox would likely beat like a drum consistently in Benrie. I like Bernie as a backup, but I just dont think he can match up with the elite

I don't think I've ever seen this happen to him.

He's a solid at worst guard.

Fletcher Cox may make a play or two but BernaDOH is not going to get beat like a drum by anyone.

What I worry about is blitz & Stunt protection with a rookie on the road in his first game.

I would rather go with Bernie and get Collins ready for next week.