Signed by Cowboys La'el Collins Extended

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
It's not my money and it doesn't kill the cap long term, so I don't really care. Good for him.

Hope he plays up to the avg value. He looks to be in great shape and seems to be taking this opportunity seriously. Happy about that.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am the biggest FO basher here and I am completely on board with this. OLs are are almost as hard to find as QBs, and cost almost as much. Should be no over paying for somebody elses trash for quite a while.

They basically took an average annual value for a top-5 RT and gave it to him in exchange for him to prove he'll be good enough to earn the next extension at that level in a few years. Buys us time to get Martin done, makes Collins whole for the jobbing he got in the draft, and gets him to his next contract at an age where he can really cash in. Kind of a win-win for everybody involved.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GIF_collins_bulldozer.gif

lael.0.gif

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no problem with a highly paid OL, it’s too bad the commitment to the OL wasn’t there when Romo was younger, so it’s a good move to protect Dak.
A good OL makes everyone else better. The QB has more time to find WRs and TEs. RBs obviously benefit. The defense benefits due to the offense having a good TOP.

Also they finally havec an "identity". They should always keep investing in the players that define their identity.

The Steelers have always tended to invest in LBs.

DBs for the recent era Seahawks.

WRs and pass catching RBs for the Greatest Show on Turf era Rams.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I can seit now the same people bashing this contract would have wondered why we let him get to RFA status after the nod, nod, wink, wink jerry pulled getting him here. I have come to the conclusion most vocal here are bi-polar.

kevm3

Reaction score
This is actually great news. You can't be perfect at all positions, so having a strong identity at one of the fundamental groups is necessary. Having an awesome o-line is a must and extending Lael only adds to that.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Years left under contract for our starting OL

LT-7......LG-2......C-7......RG-2........RT-3

kumizi

Reaction score
This deal won't kill us but let's hope he is at least an above average right tackle. He was pretty MEH at LG so I expect so growing pains.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is actually great news. You can't be perfect at all positions, so having a strong identity at one of the fundamental groups is necessary. Having an awesome o-line is a must and extending Lael only adds to that.
:hammer:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Don't forget that Dallas has seen Collins all offseason at RT. He may still be unproven there but you can bet he's looked good so far or this wouldn't have happened.

Like David Helman tweeted, it was supposed to be a competition this year at RT but Collins has looked so good so far that Dallas decided against it.