Twitter: La'el Collins Extension Close

aria

Reaction score
Good for Collins! I only wish he knew the Cowboys valued him so high so he could have sat out training camp until he squeezed every penny out of the team cap that he could. These guys don’t get too many chances and they have to take care of themselves first and foremost. Hopefully it wasn’t too much of a team friendly deal, even decent O linemen are hard to find in todays league.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I once thought there was no way that they'd keep Byron, but now I'm not as sure. I can see him being a guy that takes a discount deal because he loves it here. But we'll see.i didn't see this one coming either.
O hey if he loves it that much here and will sign for a good price then do it. It may be Cooper that we don’t sign. Especially if he wants 20 a year. Unless he pulls off that 2000 yard season.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The Cowboys are in negotiations with nearly 35 players. I'm thinking the early deals like Collins and Smith's will be team friendly. Cause its first come first serve right now.

Some of the guys that are not signing early in the season might be banking on themselves, to have a good season and earn a bigger payday. From Dallas or someone else.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I never thought he was a “dead man walking” like any people did when we drafted McGovern.

Williams is a guard and McGovern is seen as depth.

From a high-level view, this would make for a great story. From a terrible set of events leading to a plummet in the draft, to a Jones-led recruiting campaign, to a "do-right" short term extension, to being happy and wanting to be here and signing a long term deal.

Makes for a positive story.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
O hey if he loves it that much here and will sign for a good price then do it. It may be Cooper that we don’t sign. Especially if he wants 20 a year. Unless he pulls off that 2000 yard season.
You think Jerry rented a 1.5 seasons of Cooper (a little more, technically) for a 1st rounder?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Good for Collins! I only wish he knew the Cowboys valued him so high so he could have sat out training camp until he squeezed every penny out of the team cap that he could. These guys don’t get too many chances and they have to take care of themselves first and foremost. Hopefully it wasn’t too much of a team friendly deal, even decent O linemen are hard to find in todays league.
Are you the woman that slept with Lucky Whitehead to get back at Zeke? Because you are starting to act like her.

quickccc

Reaction score
Re-signing an underachieving RT doesn't make sense upfront.- and even more so drafting an OG high as the 3rd round (even though he's likely this miss this season) because if
Connor Williams is remaining a OG, the MCGovern pick that high wouldnt make much sense
for the sake of " best available player ". 1st to 3rd rounders are starter types, not backups

Only thing i could think of is there a near future manuever of moving Lael Collins over to the
Left tackle spot,.. with Tyrone Smith's back issue being far worse than what is being let on ?
Lael played the LT role in college at LSU

HungryLion

Reaction score
Re-signing an underachieving RT doesn't make sense upfront.- and even more so drafting an OG high as the 3rd round (even though he's likely this miss this season) .

Only thing i could think of is there a near future manuever of moving Lael Collins over to the
Left tackle spot with Tyrone Smith's back issue being far worse than what is being let on ?
Lael played the LT role in college at LSU

That would be a huge mistake. He is too slow footed to play LT. He isn’t half the tackle that Tyron is, even with Tyron having a bad back.

Maybe Connor Williams could handle that role. If Tyron decides to stop playing.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
The structure of the deal will be most interesting to me. After seeing what Miami got for Tunsil, I wouldn’t discount that the play here is to get him signed and have a tradeable OL asset in a year or two. It doesn’t even have to be Collins that is the traded one.

The other possibility is they know something about Smith that we don’t know yet and this is in response to that.