La'el Collins Thread - Cleared post 767; visited Cowboys - 05/06/15

AzorAhai

Reaction score
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Thick through chest and displays upper-body strength. Has strong hands and will snatch and control less active defenders. He takes defenders for a ride once he's engaged on the move. Loves to mash and intimidate opponents. Mean player. Can center pass rushers and end their attempt in pass pro. Utilizes length in pass protection and is acclimated to a pro-style offense. Able to run-block and pass-set laterally. Well-schooled and technically proficient. If he gets beat on a play, he comes back even harder on the next snap. Finisher. Can come in and play guard or tackle.
WEAKNESSES
Fails to consistently bring hips and feet with him through contact in the running game, causing him to fall forward and lose balance. Hand usage is a major concern. Hands will start too low in pass pro at times and has to work hard to redirect. Change of direction is slow for a tackle. Relies on lunging rather than foot movement to counter inside moves. Plays high out of stance and loses leverage battle on short-yardage confrontations. Will have to move to right tackle or inside.
SOURCES TELL US
"I love the guy on tape. Big-time finisher in the run game and we need that. What I don't like is that his hands are bad as a pass blocker right now and I'm not sure he gets that fixed right away." -- AFC offensive line coach
NFL COMPARISON
Maurkice Pouncey
BOTTOM LINE
Brawling right tackle or guard prospect in the NFL who has had a level of success in hyper-competitive SEC West. Lacks athleticism to be a consistent left tackle, despite his snaps there in college. Collins plays with a mean streak that is evident in every game, and could come in and start right away in a power-running game as a guard. Collins has a first-round grade

I say bring him in and sign him tomorrow. Earn the LG position and earn RT in 1 or 2 years. DAL will be able to gain another COMP pick not resigning Leary in 2016. If Chaz Green and L. Gibson pan-out - maybe move Doug Free for a player........

That's what I saw as well. His pass protection needs work for sure, but technique issues, which a lot of his problems are, can be coached. The way he blows people up in the run game is harder to teach. If he played OG only in the NFL, I think he could be top 5 very quickly. I had him at 8 on my personal board. For what its worth I had Gregory at 5.

Well that's pretty vague. Would be nice if he knew some teams that were out. At least I know we made the 1st cut.

Zordon

Reaction score
nfldraftscout and/or cbssports.com had
Randy Gregory - #16
La'el Collins - #18
Byron Jones - #20

That's a WINNER!!

we're back brehs.... the good ol' days are back...
mjcry1.png

BoysWin

Reaction score
It's really hard to know what will get him to settle there in Dallas. Usually you can throw around the money factor, but everyone is going to be offering the max. I'm unsure if he'd want to sign anywhere before visiting every interested team first

DAL is offering the best OL in football and the rebuilding of the Great Wall and all the other history of the Dallas Cowboys. He can win SuperBowls for the next 2-3 years run blocking for yet another rushing leader in DAL and the NFL's most efficient passer in the game.

Tyron Smith - Fredbeard - Martin and add Collins - DAL is offering Collins an opportunity to WIN NFC Rookie of the Year as an OLman.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
It's really hard to know what will get him to settle there in Dallas. Usually you can throw around the money factor, but everyone is going to be offering the max. I'm unsure if he'd want to sign anywhere before visiting every interested team first

I'd bet the list is pretty small if he's informed which teams are out. Probably has a list of 3-5 teams he'll have visits scheduled with. I can't imagine he couldn't narrow it down from 10-15 NFL teams to 5 or ao finalists.

jrumann59

Reaction score
How flexible is a UDFAs contract?

Locked in on length and amount and signing bonus, but you can guarantee base salary, so 3 years 1.5 mill total the signing bonus is a pooled amount that cannot be exceeded, so if dallas already exhausted the pool they cannot offer him a signing bonus.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
DAL is offering the best OL in football and the rebuilding of the Great Wall and all the other history of the Dallas Cowboys. He can win SuperBowls for the next 2-3 years run blocking for yet another rushing leader in DAL and the NFL's most efficient passer in the game.

Tyron Smith - Fredbeard - Martin and add Collins - DAL is offering Collins an opportunity to WIN NFC Rookie of the Year as an OLman.

They can also take him, Gregory his workout buddy, and show them the Death Star and put him on the big screen.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Locked in on length and amount and signing bonus, but you can guarantee base salary, so 3 years 1.5 mill total the signing bonus is a pooled amount that cannot be exceeded, so if dallas already exhausted the pool they cannot offer him a signing bonus.

Most teams have probably exhausted a good portion of that already. I can't imagine many teams have more than 30-40k left. Now the thing is they haven't officially signed a lot of these UDFAs officially so they could pull out, but I doubt if thats a deciding factor. Only way I see it affecting it is if he's can't decide between 2 teams and one has 5k and the other has 40k.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Most teams have probably exhausted a good portion of that already. I can't imagine many teams have more than 30-40k left. Now the thing is they haven't officially signed a lot of these UDFAs officially so they could pull out, but I doubt if thats a deciding factor. Only way I see it affecting it is if he's can't decide between 2 teams and one has 5k and the other has 40k.

UDFAs usually receive paltry SB for the most part unless the team had you rated pretty high and want to keep you from someone else also. So not all UDFAs get signing bonus money.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
UDFAs usually receive paltry SB for the most part unless the team had you rated pretty high and want to keep you from someone else also. So not all UDFAs get signing bonus money.

Those small ones add up though. Most teams have a few larger 5-10k sb's and probably average between 2.5-3k total. Signing 15 udfa probably takes 45k+.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Doug Free is under contract and is a big team guy. He would likely stay on and help Collins if he got beat out. Collins wouldn't replace Free on the roster. He is taking Wetzel or Weems spot. His contract is a bit rich but Collins is coming as cheap as possible.

Free/Leary and Bernadeau are active gamedays. Green gets time to develop. Guys like Gibson, Weems, Wetzel, UDFA get to compete for one or two spots.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doug Free is under contract and is a big team guy. He would likely stay on and help Collins if he got beat out. Collins wouldn't replace Free on the roster. He is taking Wetzel or Weems spot. His contract is a bit rich but Collins is coming as cheap as possible.

Free/Leary and Bernadeau are active gamedays. Green gets time to develop. Guys like Gibson, Weems, Wetzel, UDFA get to compete for one or two spots.

I think he we signed him, Collins would most likely be our LG. It would be interesting to see where he would stay. Both him and Green are capable of play RT and OG

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Here is interesting question. If we sign Collins, does someone go on the trading block, and if so, who?

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score

Do you mean Green? With Green, not sure both Free and Leary stay. I could see a trade for a 4-6th rd pick