La'el Collins Thread - Cleared post 767; visited Cowboys - 05/06/15

Galian Beast

Reaction score
If he becomes a suspect or is found guilty you can certainly cut the guy, but a guard with a 1st round grade on him, basically for free shouldn't be ignored just because of the circumstances at this point.

I don't think he would want to sign more than a one year deal and he will want to go to a place where he can start.

This might be our long term answer rather than investing long term in Leary. We could suggest to Collins that we would give him the same amount in base salary that he would gotten in the first round or we could sign him to a one year deal. The bonus money will be limited even if we give him the full maximum bonus.

In a year where we have drastically undervalued the running back position, we should take every effort to maximize the short term and long term quality of our offensive line. The Cowboys should get this done.

There is very little risk here, outside of losing on other UDFAs.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I would have rather taken him in the 7th rather than the Germany kid.

Taking him in the 7th round would have given him significant leverage. Now if he wants to play in the NFL he has no choice. There is no 2nd draft for him. He will sign with a team, or he will remain a free agent for a year for no reason.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He is UDFA. HE is what he is from here on out. He shouldn't have given the ultimatum to men like the heads of NFL clubs.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
He was going to refuse to sign. He's going to sit out this draft and have another go at it in 2016.

Going undrafted eliminates the possibility of going into another draft. Had him been drafted and refused to play he could have. Hopefully we won't have to keep discussing that point as we discuss this player.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
He is UDFA. HE is what he is from here on out. He shouldn't have given the ultimatum to men like the heads of NFL clubs.

Even as an UDFA he has a lot of leverage about where he goes. A lot of teams will be after him for a low risk contract and he has no choice but to play now.

funkytown

Reaction score
Ok we need to get clarity on this.

Some are saying if he was drafted, he could refuse to sign and re-enter 2016.

Some are saying if he goes undrafted, he can re-enter 2016 draft.

Which is it?

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
He was going to refuse to sign. He's going to sit out this draft and have another go at it in 2016.

It was just ruled that he can't re-enter the 2016 draft.

So either take a chance on a 1st round talent or waste it on a player who's just camp fodder.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Even as an UDFA he has a lot of leverage about where he goes. A lot of teams will be after him for a low risk contract and he has no choice but to play now.

Good point, but he isn't going to be able to re-enter next years draft from what I understand.

montgod

Reaction score
Ok we need to get clarity on this.

Some are saying if he was drafted, he could refuse to sign and re-enter 2016.

Some are saying if he goes undrafted, he can re-enter 2016 draft.

Which is it?

The first one. Since he was not drafted, he doesn't have an option to put in for next years draft. He has to make do as an UDFA.... that is if he is found not to be guilty of anything.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We don't really need him at this point

I would kick the tires but not go crazy

PoundTheRock

Reaction score
I'd guarantee him a few hundred thousand to sign here. Inarguable he is better than the garbage OL the Cowboys ended up picking.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
He said he isn't signing unless he went 3rd round or earlier.

Time to forget him until this time next year.

Let me try to break it down for you slowly.

If he were drafted.... he could have sat out and gone into the 2016 draft.

Going undrafted.... makes him completely ineligible for the 2016 draft.

Either him or his agent made a mistake by publicly making that claim. He still has a lot of leverage, but he doesn't have the leverage of going into another draft class.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Let me try to break it down for you slowly.

If he were drafted.... he could have sat out and gone into the 2016 draft.

Going undrafted.... makes him completely ineligible for the 2016 draft.

Either him or his agent made a mistake by publicly making that claim. He still has a lot of leverage, but he doesn't have the leverage of going into another draft class.

Already edited my post before you responded.

But thanks for being an *** about it.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
We don't really need him at this point

I would kick the tires but not go crazy

You realize that Leary is a free agent next year, will want a sizable contract, and will want longevity in that contract and his knees could go out at any time.

This is a need and a great opportunity to strengthen the team for basically nothing.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You realize that Leary is a free agent next year, will want a sizable contract, and will want longevity in that contract and his knees could go out at any time.

This is a need and a great opportunity to strengthen the team for basically nothing.

Does he have bad knees or does he get a big contract? We'll deal with Leary when we have to.

It won't take nothing to sign Collins, but if it does then go for it.