Lakers Thread

Reaction score
0-2 start. I think it's clearly time to blow this team up since everyone knows championships in the NBA are won in October. ;)

On a serious note I'm a little concerned with the Nash injury because our backup point guards are terrible. Delonte West just got waived by Dallas I think we should definitely sign him. Blake and Duhon just won't cut it.

Overall though I think the offense played very well. Dwight was a beast and I think it's pretty evident he's a big upgrade over Bynum. I was clearly wrong in thinking Bynum was better on offense. Dwight is better offensively and it's not close. 33 points and 14 boards tonight and he surprisingly shot well from the free throw line. Made 15 of 19 free throws.

Kobe has shot the ball extremely wall through two games. 21/34 through two games which is well over 60 percent. I expected his efficiency to go up with the acquired new talent. The key is keeping down the three point attempts. At this point of his career he's a mediocre at best 3 point shooter. He needs to continue to play off the ball and play in the post instead of isolation basketball.

It's just gonna take some time for these guys to gel. To win in the NBA consistently you have to have two things IMO. Talent and chemistry. The talent is there, but the chemistry is not. If you remember correctly a couple of seasons ago the Heat after signing James and Bosh started off 9-8. People were calling for Spoelstra to be fired and then once they got the chemistry got going they were terrific and nearly won it all.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Well i mentioned it in the offseason and it took a whole two games to develop..

..but Kobe is already unhappy. haha

JackWagon

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4818781 said:

They dont need to make kobe happy anymore ... they need to keep dwight and look towards the future.

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4818781 said:

Of course Kobe is unhappy. They're 0-2 and as big of a competitor as he is you know he hates losing. Still it's way too early to be hitting the panic button. Offense isn't really the issue right now it's defense. Howard isn't healthy fully yet and the perimeter defense has been horrible. We know the point guards are gonna struggle on defense, but we can't have Kobe and MWP struggling as well. They seem to only bring it when they're facing an elite scorer.

Reaction score
Dash28;4818867 said:
Fire Mike Brown. That is all.

:)

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but firing Mike Brown makes absolutely no sense at all. You don't fire your head coach after two games. It's quite comical how many Laker fans are overreacting after two measley regular season losses. Chemistry is one of the most important aspects of sports and life in general. This Lakers team has alot of talent, but it takes time for all that talent to come together and build chemistry together.

Mike Brown is a good basketball coach. Look at what he did in Cleveland. In 2007 he coached a terrible Cavaliers team to the NBA Finals. Then a couple of years later coached them to the best record in the league two years in a row in 2009 and 2010. They would've won the championship too had LeBron not quit on the team. People can say it was only because of LeBron, but that's horrible logic. You need at least one great player to be successful in this league. You typically need two to win a championship.

Last season Brown did a terrific job. After the vetoed Chris Paul deal the Lakers roster was in shambles especially after trading Lamar Odom to Dallas. The bench was God awful. Worst bench in Lakers history. Most of the scrubs in the bench wouldn't even be playing for other teams. The Clippers should've easily had a better record than us, but they didn't somehow. Really a testament to how good Brown is as a basketball coach. Team was even worse than the one that got swept by Dallas the year before in the playoffs yet they actually made it a game further.

This season is really the only time in his coaching career than Mike has been given a championship caliber roster. His teams have always overachieved and far succeeded expectations. If the Lakers fail to win a championship than maybe you consider making a coaching change, but you sure as hell don't do it after two games. That's just ridiculous right there. Alot of fans just thought it'd be easy and the Lakers would just run right through the Western Conference. Doesn't work that way. These things take time. Just be patient, relax, and enjoy this roller coaster ride of an NBA season. It'll be a great one.

I still believe in the end the Los Angeles Lakers will be the last team standing. I could be wrong because there's a number of teams who have a legit chance at winning it all. The San Antonio Spurs who I have alot of respect for, the Boston Celtics another team I have alot of respect for, the Oklahoma City Thunder, and last but not least the defending champion Miami Heat.

However I just think all the talent the Lakers possess will eventually come together and win it all. It'll be a very fun season regardless of what happens. I'm gonna enjoy this. Go Lakers! :)

MC KAos

Reaction score
the lakers still have a horrid bench, it might actually be worse this year than last year. they can beat anyone in a seven game series if they are all healthy, but their top 3 of their top 4 guys have serious injury concerns going forward and i doubt they will be healthy enough to challenge SA or OKC for the 1 seed anyway. Ultimately, all that matters is that kobe, howard, nash, pau, and artest are healthy come late april. they could be the 6th seed even, so long as they arent playing OKC or SA in the first round. Health is the number 1 key for the lakers this year, then chemistry

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4818743 said:
Isn't Kobe playing on one stick?

Yeah. He's about 70%, Nash is probably 80%, Howard isn't in game shape yet.

Lots of basketball left. This is the same story every year, how the Lakers would look "disinterested" and then turn it on and won 3 titles back to back.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4818920 said:
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but firing Mike Brown makes absolutely no sense at all. You don't fire your head coach after two games. It's quite comical how many Laker fans are overreacting after two measley regular season losses. Chemistry is one of the most important aspects of sports and life in general. This Lakers team has alot of talent, but it takes time for all that talent to come together and build chemistry together.

Mike Brown is a good basketball coach. Look at what he did in Cleveland. In 2007 he coached a terrible Cavaliers team to the NBA Finals. Then a couple of years later coached them to the best record in the league two years in a row in 2009 and 2010. They would've won the championship too had LeBron not quit on the team. People can say it was only because of LeBron, but that's horrible logic. You need at least one great player to be successful in this league. You typically need two to win a championship.

Last season Brown did a terrific job. After the vetoed Chris Paul deal the Lakers roster was in shambles especially after trading Lamar Odom to Dallas. The bench was God awful. Worst bench in Lakers history. Most of the scrubs in the bench wouldn't even be playing for other teams. The Clippers should've easily had a better record than us, but they didn't somehow. Really a testament to how good Brown is as a basketball coach. Team was even worse than the one that got swept by Dallas the year before in the playoffs yet they actually made it a game further.

This season is really the only time in his coaching career than Mike has been given a championship caliber roster. His teams have always overachieved and far succeeded expectations. If the Lakers fail to win a championship than maybe you consider making a coaching change, but you sure as hell don't do it after two games. That's just ridiculous right there. Alot of fans just thought it'd be easy and the Lakers would just run right through the Western Conference. Doesn't work that way. These things take time. Just be patient, relax, and enjoy this roller coaster ride of an NBA season. It'll be a great one.

I still believe in the end the Los Angeles Lakers will be the last team standing. I could be wrong because there's a number of teams who have a legit chance at winning it all. The San Antonio Spurs who I have alot of respect for, the Boston Celtics another team I have alot of respect for, the Oklahoma City Thunder, and last but not least the defending champion Miami Heat.

However I just think all the talent the Lakers possess will eventually come together and win it all. It'll be a very fun season regardless of what happens. I'm gonna enjoy this. Go Lakers! :)

lol...says the kid who had the "GARBAGE" Mike Brown sig pic all last year ;)

Antawn Jamison should start in place of Artest, though.

Reaction score
casmith07;4819086 said:
lol...says the kid who had the "GARBAGE" Mike Brown sig pic all last year ;)

Antawn Jamison should start in place of Artest, though.

That was just a joke man lol and benching World Peace wouldn't be smart at all IMO because we need his defense out there. Jamison is terrific scorer and we need that off the bench. Jamison can't guard opposing small forwards.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Way to early for anyone to be in panic mode over the Lakers.

Of course that's just what fans do.

Boys122

Reaction score
Just like Kobe said, it'll take some time to get the offense going. Shut up and be patient. :)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
the lakers are a talented but shallow team.
they won't be as good as people suggested but they'll make the playoffs then have a chance once there.

nash is a terrible, terrible fit for that walk it up offense.

nash has never been good except in run and gun situations.

dwight howard has to learn to make some free throws and be content starring on that defense.

the main issue is kobe, nash, blake are all now terrible defenders.
howard is a stud and gasol is manageable.
artest is solid when he isnt fouling like a yak.

the main issue in la is keeping dwight happy so that he signs that long-term deal. if he doesnt get the ball or sees the future as sour he is a loose cannon that could do any number of goofy things.

signing nash for 3 years and big money was stupid.

the laker fans should be very worried. and i was suggesting these offensive fit issues and defensive liabilities before these 2 games btw.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
jterrell;4819851 said:
the lakers are a talented but shallow team.
they won't be as good as people suggested but they'll make the playoffs then have a chance once there.

nash is a terrible, terrible fit for that walk it up offense.

nash has never been good except in run and gun situations.

dwight howard has to learn to make some free throws and be content starring on that defense.

the main issue is kobe, nash, blake are all now terrible defenders.
howard is a stud and gasol is manageable.
artest is solid when he isnt fouling like a yak.

the main issue in la is keeping dwight happy so that he signs that long-term deal. if he doesnt get the ball or sees the future as sour he is a loose cannon that could do any number of goofy things.

signing nash for 3 years and big money was stupid.

the laker fans should be very worried. and i was suggesting these offensive fit issues and defensive liabilities before these 2 games btw.

:facepalm:

MC KAos

Reaction score
this year could be a disaster for the lakers if all these injuries are a sign of things to come for their geezers

Kangaroo

Reaction score
I expected some up and downs with the Lakers this season but 0-3 to start the season is terrible.

Nash has always been a liability on defense one of the things the Spurs exploited against Phoenix all those years ago.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Boys122;4819428 said:
Just like Kobe said, it'll take some time to get the offense going. Shut up and be patient. :)

Im sure they will get the offense going.. but no matter what the starting 5 do, they're still going to be looking down that long line of nobodies everytime they have to sub in. If a starter or two misses significant time.. good luck.

RS12

Reaction score
Old legs, brutal bench, in over his head coach. other than that they are great.