Lakers Thread

khiladi

Reaction score
MC KAos;5024167 said:
Since Jordan retired, Shaquille/Duncan were the best players, then it was just Duncan, then you could say it was Kobe when he was missing the playoffs, but, you know, he was missing the playoffs. I don't think you can say he was better than lebron at that point when the latter was taking a crap team to the finals. Lebron would have won those titles Kobe won with the lakers in 09 and 10, Kobe wouldn't have taken the cavs past the first or maybe second round, because of his style of play

Again, Lebron took ONE team to the finals, when he was not with Miami. And during that play-off run he beat the Wizards, Nets, and an aging Pistons team, meaning a bunch of scrubby teams which has been reflective of Lebron's whole career to the play-offs t get to the finals. When he got to the Western conference finals, he got swept by a Spurs team, and it wasn't even close.

The following two years, Lebron lost to Orlando and the Celtics, meaning the stars aligned for Lebron to get to the finals with that Cavs team. He saw the writing on the wall afterwards, which was, he wasn't going to ever win on his own, with the Cavs. The deterioration of the Cavs the two years after the finals was evident. And even then, it's not like Lebron didn't have any decent players, among them Mo Williams, who could put up a flurry of points.

The point is, if you put that Cavs team in the Western conference, where Kobe was playing with his crappy teams, I pretty much would put money on it that the Cavs team wouldn't have sniffed the play-offs, just like that scrubby Wizards, Nets and aging Pistons team wouldn't. You put Kobe in the Eastern conference during that same era with the Lakers team, he could take that squad to the finals.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
khiladi;5024539 said:
Lebron has been the best player the last two years and I don't give him 3 years ago, because he got utterly abused by Dirk in the finals. In fact, Dirk's play-off performance was legendary and is often downplayed, simply because of Lebron. That Dallas team also totally crushed the Lakers, which included Kobe, on the back of Dirk. That vaunted Miami defense couldn't do anything to stop him and they consistently blew large margins in the fourth quarter against Dirk and the likes of Jason Terry, with Lebron covering them. It was that same year that Lebron bumped his own coach and went off on his little 'cough, cough' routine with Dwayne Wade. The year prior, he was horrible in game 6 when all was on the line against the Celtics.

When it comes to Lebron these days, the media jumps over Kobe and has the audacity to compare him to Jordan as in the category for GOAT.

But none of that changes the point, which is Kobe has been the best player in the league way longer than Lebron's last 2 years. On his broken knee and elbow, since the all-star break he's averaging 30 plus points with 8.8 assists. And Kobe plays in the West, not a weak Eastern conference that has been as divorced of competition that it has ever been. When your talking GOAT, Lebron doesn't even come close and it's downright disrespect to a Kobe, let alone Magic, to include him in the picture. Far-better player, my foot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvWxE97FwAI

Dallas and Dirk abused that Lakers team. It wasn't even a series.

LeBron wasn't as good or as mature as Dirk was but he was a better player than Kobe that season.

Kobe has been a great player and he IS a great scorer. But right now that is all he is. LeBron doesn't hold the ball 90% of the team's possession the way Kobe does. He plays within the system and simply dominates people in every area.

There is no question who is the better passer, rebounder or defender.

As far as GOAT I could care less. That is for goofball fans to worry about.

None of the modern day players are as dominant as Wilt and Russell were. NONE of them. Because there are millions/billions more kids playing basketball every day now than in the 50s when those guys came up.

Poor Kobe I mean he has never had any good players or coaches around him right? RIGHT?

Kobe has never had 200 steals and it has been 4 years since he topped 100. LeBron has topped 100 every year of his career including this one. Kobe hasn't topped 20 blocks in 4 years. LeBron hits 50 yearly.

Wanna talk advanced stats? Win shares per 48 minutes? Lebron is at .307 this year. Kobe? under .200 and not even close in recent history.

Titles? LeBron is 28 and certainly a title favorite again this year. The Lakers with Nash, Kobe and Howard are trying to hold onto an 8 seed. Talk to me about titles in 6 years when LeBron is 34.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was a good road win for the Lakers against a good Pacers team with a very good home record. They pretty much did it without Kobe too. I had marked this as a loss, even if the Lakers had a healthy Kobe playing.

ghst187

Reaction score
the "horrible" ankle sprain was obviously not very bad at all if he suits up and plays a few nights later. A truly "bad" sprain and he'd been out 1-2 weeks.

juck

Reaction score
ghst187;5025095 said:
the "horrible" ankle sprain was obviously not very bad at all if he suits up and plays a few nights later. A truly "bad" sprain and he'd been out 1-2 weeks.
Hes biggest drama queen ever.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I know a lot of you would rather believe that Kobe is just crying over nothing but anybody who watched him against the Pacers on Friday night knows that's not the case. He couldn't move. He played 12 minutes, scored zero and was pretty much a lamp post. He could not push off, couldn't elevate, couldn't defend.

He's injured for sure.

khiladi

Reaction score
Wanna talk advanced stats? Win shares per 48 minutes? Lebron is at .307 this year. Kobe? under .200 and not even close in recent history.

Titles? LeBron is 28 and certainly a title favorite again this year. The Lakers with Nash, Kobe and Howard are trying to hold onto an 8 seed. Talk to me about titles in 6 years when LeBron is 34.

I didn't even talk about titles... What does any of this have to do with my post?

Let me re-iterate.. Kobe is 34 on a broken knee and bad elbow, and now horrible ankle. He isn't 28 years old anymore. How many times does that need repeating? Comparing the two, when Lebron isn't even hurt is absurd. Like I said, Lebron's advantage is his physical dominance for his position, but you can guarantee that if he gets these types of injuries, that 'physical dominance' will decline rapidly and the difference of skill level between him and Kobe will become like night and day.

Again, there is a reason why NBA players consistently say Kobe would beat Lebron one-on-one.

Win shares? LMAO... Talk about a subjective, nonsensical state, especially when your confining it to a year when the Lakers are in their first year with a whole new season. Last time I checked, the Heat lost 8 games their first month together, and all their players were healthy. How about Lebron's 'win shares' then? Not a single one of that Heat team was in their mid to late 30s, and the Lakers biggest potential force has a torn labrum and just came off back surgery.

Like I said, even if we were to assume the Lakers were in high gear, the Heat play in the Eastern Conference. Lebron has been playing in the weakest Eastern conference in decades. When two of your All-Star players are Deng and Noah, who are decent players, bot no way All-Stars, then that is a key indicator to the 'talent' level Lebron has to face every night. When you don't have a starting PG in the Eastern Conference in the All-Star game, then that is a key indicator to the talent level the Heat face every night.

Wade is actually the MVP of that team since the All-Star break. His perimeter defense also helps that team, forcing bad passes. BTW, I never said Lebron wasn't a better perimeter defendor that Kobe.

That, and the fact, Larry Sanders knows what's up. Preserving the 'streak' is the latest NBA marketing ploy.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
At the Laker game tonight. Blazers always play them tough in Portland. Shoud be a great game with the Lakers fighting to make the postseason.

crazytown41

Reaction score
Lakers can beat the Spurs. They have zero chance against OKC though. And apparently the Spurs agree as theyre doing everything possible to tank to the #2 seed

juck

Reaction score
Its hard rooting for the Spurs but I must see them demolish the David Stern money machine. Its so obvious Stern want the Fakers in there for money purposes. The Lakers play no defense at all Spurs and OKC shall crush them . All you gotta do is double Kobe hes like Iverson,lol.

joseephuss

Reaction score
juck;5045670 said:
Its hard rooting for the Spurs but I must see them demolish the David Stern money machine. Its so obvious Stern want the Fakers in there for money purposes. The Lakers play no defense at all Spurs and OKC shall crush them . All you gotta do is double Kobe hes like Iverson,lol.

How did you reach that conclusion? The Lakers are playing the easiest part of their schedule. Most of their games are at home and they aren't playing the best teams. Even with that they still may not make it into the playoffs. I think they will, but I don't think they will do much once they get there. They are exerting a lot of energy just to qualify.

juck

Reaction score
joseephuss;5045726 said:
How did you reach that conclusion? The Lakers are playing the easiest part of their schedule. Most of their games are at home and they aren't playing the best teams. Even with that they still may not make it into the playoffs. I think they will, but I don't think they will do much once they get there. They are exerting a lot of energy just to qualify.

Because they live at the line and refs give them outlandish calls and the NBA makes more money with them in the playoffs.NBA is generally fixed to a degree in case u haven't noticed. Controlled is a better term. As much as it can be without it being too obvious. David Stern ruined the NBA. I bet he hated the fact that Dallas won in 11. They just steamrolled so much that Stern could not change it. Miami is winning again this year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Fakers win a round for money purposes. Stern also let teams build all star teams. Which completely is ruining the NBA.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
juck;5045792 said:
Because they live at the line and refs give them outlandish calls and the NBA makes more money with them in the playoffs.NBA is generally fixed to a degree in case u haven't noticed. Controlled is a better term. As much as it can be without it being too obvious. David Stern ruined the NBA. I bet he hated the fact that Dallas won in 11. They just steamrolled so much that Stern could not change it. Miami is winning again this year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Fakers win a round for money purposes. Stern also let teams build all star teams. Which completely is ruining the NBA.

Yeah, I hear you. That's why he allowed a trade between the Lakers and the Hornets for CP to go through. Oh wait! No he didn't.

I think you have a point, in that the NBA does like to see the Lakers, the Celtics and a few other high profile teams in the playoffs. I mean, it's business and business is obviously better when you have teams that draw market in the playoffs but you take it too far when you make claims that infer the NBA is fixing games. There is no proof of this so far as I know.

joseephuss

Reaction score
juck;5045792 said:

There were all star teams before Stern ever became commissioner.

If the fix was in they could have easily let Miami beat Dallas. After 3 games the Heat were up 2-1. In game 4 the Heat had a lead. It would not have been too difficult to make sure the Heat won.

Every commissioner in every sport wants their big name franchises to do well and have success. That only draws more ratings and revenues. That doesn't mean things are fixed. And I don't see the Lakers getting outlandish calls over the last several games. They are playing better plus their competition is not that good.

juck

Reaction score
joseephuss;5045942 said:
There were all star teams before Stern ever became commissioner.

If the fix was in they could have easily let Miami beat Dallas. After 3 games the Heat were up 2-1. In game 4 the Heat had a lead. It would not have been too difficult to make sure the Heat won.

Every commissioner in every sport wants their big name franchises to do well and have success. That only draws more ratings and revenues. That doesn't mean things are fixed. And I don't see the Lakers getting outlandish calls over the last several games. They are playing better plus their competition is not that good.
They did let Miami beat Dallas in 2006.

juck

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5045884 said:
Yeah, I hear you. That's why he allowed a trade between the Lakers and the Hornets for CP to go through. Oh wait! No he didn't.

I think you have a point, in that the NBA does like to see the Lakers, the Celtics and a few other high profile teams in the playoffs. I mean, it's business and business is obviously better when you have teams that draw market in the playoffs but you take it too far when you make claims that infer the NBA is fixing games. There is no proof of this so far as I know.
Tim Donaghey disagrees

khiladi

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5045884 said:

I believe the NBA had taken control of the Hornets franchise at that point. The Lakers also got Pal Gasol as a steal, which is really the reason why the Lakers won two championships once again. They finally got some pieces back in place for Kobe.

khiladi

Reaction score
Stern is a puppet, just like Goodell is. He's just a figure-head for what the owners, as a whole want. Being a commisioner is the easiest job in the world in relation to the pay, apparently.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
khiladi;5046588 said:
I believe the NBA had taken control of the Hornets franchise at that point. The Lakers also got Pal Gasol as a steal, which is really the reason why the Lakers won two championships once again. They finally got some pieces back in place for Kobe.

Why you got to remind me of that trade? The only good thing we got out of it was Marc Gasol.