Lamar Jackson?

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I had no idea old man Bill Polian posted here.
Polian is such a fossil. His self righteous attitude makes me want to punch him in the face everytime he opens his mouth. He represents everything I hate about NFL gas-baggery.

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Polian is such a fossil. His self righteous attitude makes me want to punch him in the face everytime he owns his mouth. He represents everything I hate about NFL gas-baggery.
He represents the old guard. I get he won a single title with Manning, but his position on Jackson has been embarassing.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
He represents the old guard. I get he won a single title with Manning, but his position on Jackson has been embarassing.
What very little respect I had for him evaporated when he insisted that T.O. was not a hall-of-famer because he was cut from two teams, when he himself was let go from two teams.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Should I have any in Linehan's creativity?
Naw. It funny we have been talking about this offense and how simple and uncreative it is for awhile now every time I hear someone in the media talk about the Cowboys they mention the simple offense. Heard a guy say today Dez’s main problem is the coaches don’t create ways to get him open.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Naw. It funny we have been talking about this offense and how simple and uncreative it is for awhile now every time I hear someone in the media talk about the Cowboys they mention the simple offense. Heard a guy say today Dez’s main problem is the coaches don’t create ways to get him open.

Exactly, and that person that said that about Dez is 100% right. If we HAD a creative coach, Dak would be able to find Dez. This offense is still operated like Romo is the QB. Dak is NOT Romo. He is NOT a traditional QB. So, it is high time that this offense becomes tailored to him like the Panthers did for Cam, the Broncos did with Tebow, and the Eagles did with Foles. You want your QB to be successful? Tailor the offense to him. I think our offensive weapons can be sufficient for Dak. The problem is that Linehan has yet to tailor it to his strengths. That would be the mark of a good coach. Make the offense fit Dak. Hide his weaknesses which were on full display, and use the offense to his advantages. He CAN throw from the pocket, but he is more of a 3 step drop guy.

I suggested this on the other site on a number of occasions, but I think that the offense perfect for Dak is a run balanced West Coast offense. In the West Coast offense on passing plays, the QB drops back and throws quickly. That fits Dak PERFECTLY. Ooh, and he can use his legs if he can't find what he's looking for. With it being run balanced, you're running more often than not which is important because Zeke has to get involved. That makes Dak's skillset in the West Coast that much more potent.

What surprises me is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Walsh_(American_football_coach)#Coaching_tree. I've said this on the old site, but, if you notice, Linehan IS on the Bill Walsh West Coast Tree via Mike Tice. So, I would think that Linehan would know a thing or two about the West Coast offense. If we want Dak to be successful in the NFL on our team, then Linehan needs to get back to the Bill Walsh West Coast style. Dez is PERFECT for the West Coast offense as a WR because he can use his strength and power to his advantage in the WCO. What he needs is a speed receiver to draw more attention away from him. This is where Cedrick Wilson would come into play in round 4 or 5. He's tall and fast which would help Dez immensely. Conversely, that would allow Dak to adjust more easily to the WCO. Dak IS capable of the deep ball, but a speed receiver certainly helps with that.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Exactly, and that person that said that about Dez is 100% right. If we HAD a creative coach, Dak would be able to find Dez. This offense is still operated like Romo is the QB. Dak is NOT Romo. He is NOT a traditional QB. So, it is high time that this offense becomes tailored to him like the Panthers did for Cam, the Broncos did with Tebow, and the Eagles did with Foles. You want your QB to be successful? Tailor the offense to him. I think our offensive weapons can be sufficient for Dak. The problem is that Linehan has yet to tailor it to his strengths. That would be the mark of a good coach. Make the offense fit Dak. Hide his weaknesses which were on full display, and use the offense to his advantages. He CAN throw from the pocket, but he is more of a 3 step drop guy.

I suggested this on the other site on a number of occasions, but I think that the offense perfect for Dak is a run balanced West Coast offense. In the West Coast offense on passing plays, the QB drops back and throws quickly. That fits Dak PERFECTLY. Ooh, and he can use his legs if he can't find what he's looking for. With it being run balanced, you're running more often than not which is important because Zeke has to get involved. That makes Dak's skillset in the West Coast that much more potent.

What surprises me is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Walsh_(American_football_coach)#Coaching_tree. I've said this on the old site, but, if you notice, Linehan IS on the Bill Walsh West Coast Tree via Mike Tice. So, I would think that Linehan would know a thing or two about the West Coast offense. If we want Dak to be successful in the NFL on our team, then Linehan needs to get back to the Bill Walsh West Coast style. Dez is PERFECT for the West Coast offense as a WR because he can use his strength and power to his advantage in the WCO. What he needs is a speed receiver to draw more attention away from him. This is where Cedrick Wilson would come into play in round 4 or 5. He's tall and fast which would help Dez immensely. Conversely, that would allow Dak to adjust more easily to the WCO. Dak IS capable of the deep ball, but a speed receiver certainly helps with that.
When Dak was a rookie the offense had a lot of WCO stuff in it with Dak and Beasley but when Dez is there Scott goes back to his roots with the Dennis Erickson Air Express.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
When Dak was a rookie the offense had a lot of WCO stuff in it with Dak and Beasley but when Dez is there Scott goes back to his roots with the Dennis Erickson Air Express.

Exactly, which was what made it so stupid! Dez CAN be incorporated into the WCO. Why does the ENTIRE offense have to change because Dez is in there? Let Dez handle the short physical routes, and let a speed WR like Wilson handle the other side. Wilson is NOT Jerry Rice that I can, but I'll take a little writer's license to make a point. Dez is a very similar WR to TO, correct? When TO had Jerry Rice, did that not help him? Jerry had very good speed, TO was physical. Use Dez's physicality like the 49ers used TO. Then, get a WR like Wilson who, from what I've seen in Youtube videos, looks like he has good speed along with good hands and height. Then, incorporate Beasley into it like we had done early in Dak's career. Do that, and I think Dak can rise to elite levels.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Exactly, which was what made it so stupid! Dez CAN be incorporated into the WCO. Why does the ENTIRE offense have to change because Dez is in there? Let Dez handle the short physical routes, and let a speed WR like Wilson handle the other side. Wilson is NOT Jerry Rice that I can, but I'll take a little writer's license to make a point. Dez is a very similar WR to TO, correct? When TO had Jerry Rice, did that not help him? Jerry had very good speed, TO was physical. Use Dez's physicality like the 49ers used TO. Then, get a WR like Wilson who, from what I've seen in Youtube videos, looks like he has good speed along with good hands and height. Then, incorporate Beasley into it like we had done early in Dak's career. Do that, and I think Dak can rise to elite levels.

I don’t know why Scott does what he does. I have a feeling since they brought in a bunch of Scott’s guys this offense is going to be even more his style. Everyone here is a Scott guy even JG is a Scott guy he was under him at Miami when Scott was the OC. My opinion of Scott is right there with Tory Holt. Seeing all the creative OCs out there turning guys like Keenum and Foles into legit QBs makes me want to pull my hair out when I think of what they could do with this talent on the Cowboys.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don’t know why Scott does what he does. I have a feeling since they brought in a bunch of Scott’s guys this offense is going to be even more his style. Everyone here is a Scott guy even JG is a Scott guy he was under him at Miami when Scott was the OC. My opinion of Scott is right there with Tory Holt. Seeing all the creative OCs out there turning guys like Keenum and Foles into legit QBs makes me want to pull my hair out when I think of what they could do with this talent on the Cowboys.

Exactly, and we see Dak struggling with nothing being done. I was most disappointed that we didn't at least try to bring in a potential deep threat. It would behoove our team to get a deep threat and let Dez fill the TO role. If we do that, our offense will be even more dynamic because now we would have the added threat of a deep threat WR.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Exactly, and we see Dak struggling with nothing being done. I was most disappointed that we didn't at least try to bring in a potential deep threat. It would behoove our team to get a deep threat and let Dez fill the TO role. If we do that, our offense will be even more dynamic because now we would have the added threat of a deep threat WR.

I kinda doubt Dez will be here.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I do like Brown I think he needs some development but I think he has potential.

I agree. If we had a good WR coach, I could see Brown developing well. He's got a lot of potential, and I can see why Zeke wanted him. With development, he has the potential of being a great WCO WR like TO was. But, what he will need also is a speed WR, which is another reason I want Wilson in R4. If we're to develop him, we need someone to compliment him. I like TWill, and he's a good possession WR. However, I'm not so sure he's a good compliment to Dez. Though, him being here does give us some alternatives. For example, if we get a speed WR, and want to use Beasley more, it means that we can rotate WRs which is typical of a WCO. We could put Brown (or Dez if he's somehow here next season) in the slot or on the outside. Then have the speed on the outside, or rotate him with Dez and Beasley in the slot. Then, have TWill on the other side. We'd have a dynamic core of receivers which is critical in even a run balanced-WCO. But, I hate how we never developed Dez into a true WCO Receiver. He could have been the next TO if we had done that. TO thrived in the WCO. Dez could have as well, and I think we frankly could have extended Romo's career in the WCO had we run the WCO like we basically did in 2014.