Lamar Jackson?

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I agree. If we had a good WR coach, I could see Brown developing well. He's got a lot of potential, and I can see why Zeke wanted him. With development, he has the potential of being a great WCO WR like TO was. But, what he will need also is a speed WR, which is another reason I want Wilson in R4. If we're to develop him, we need someone to compliment him. I like TWill, and he's a good possession WR. However, I'm not so sure he's a good compliment to Dez. Though, him being here does give us some alternatives. For example, if we get a speed WR, and want to use Beasley more, it means that we can rotate WRs which is typical of a WCO. We could put Brown (or Dez if he's somehow here next season) in the slot or on the outside. Then have the speed on the outside, or rotate him with Dez and Beasley in the slot. Then, have TWill on the other side. We'd have a dynamic core of receivers which is critical in even a run balanced-WCO. But, I hate how we never developed Dez into a true WCO Receiver. He could have been the next TO if we had done that. TO thrived in the WCO. Dez could have as well, and I think we frankly could have extended Romo's career in the WCO had we run the WCO like we basically did in 2014.

Well this new guy is supposed to be pretty good with WRs. I guess we shall see what he can do with the older guys and guys like Brown and Switzer and maybe a rookie.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well this new guy is supposed to be pretty good with WRs. I guess we shall see what he can do with the older guys and guys like Brown and Switzer and maybe a rookie.

I certainly hope so, because we have a very solid group of WRs. All we need to make this WR core the best is a speed WR.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If not a true speedster at least some one quick who can get seperation.

Essentially, what we need is a WR who can be a true deep threat. Butler has shown occasional signs of it, but he's not reliable in terms of catching the ball deep. We need a WR who is fast enough to get separation deep and reliable hands.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Essentially, what we need is a WR who can be a true deep threat. Butler has shown occasional signs of it, but he's not reliable in terms of catching the ball deep. We need a WR who is fast enough to get separation deep and reliable hands.
That is a tough find you are look for someone like D Jackson or Brandin Cooks. Even OBJ, and AB are more quick than they are true speedster

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Lots of people complain about Daks accuracy around here.

Dak was college career 62.8% with 66.2% in his last season

Jackson was a 57% completion with 59.1% in his final season.

So how can everyone who rags on Dak be ok with Jackson. If you think Jackson will be making plays with his feet he is 211lbs Dak is 230lbs. Dak is built like a RB Jackson is built like a WR Jackson won’t hold up. If you are going to be a mobile QB need to be built like Dak and Cam of not you end up like RG3 and looks like Watson is headed down the same path.

Take a look at a look at Sam Darnold numbers.......

https://247sports.com/college/usc/A...Aumavae-Laulu-talks-USC-visit-plan--115510758

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That is a tough find you are look for someone like D Jackson or Brandin Cooks. Even OBJ, and AB are more quick than they are true speedster

Well, then quick would be fine I suppose. I just want someone who can be a deep threat. That way, we can take advantage of our running game and quick patterns. The deep ball is part of the WCO, especially when it comes to PA Deep balls. It's something we should be able to do, but we do not have the receivers to make it a consistent threat. We have to be able to make it to where, if you try to shut down our running game and short game, then you have our deep patterns to face.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Well, then quick would be fine I suppose. I just want someone who can be a deep threat. That way, we can take advantage of our running game and quick patterns. The deep ball is part of the WCO, especially when it comes to PA Deep balls. It's something we should be able to do, but we do not have the receivers to make it a consistent threat. We have to be able to make it to where, if you try to shut down our running game and short game, then you have our deep patterns to face.

I’d like to see them get and use a fast little scat back. Had Dunbar all that time and I know he had injuries but even when healthy they weren’t creative enough to use him. JG and Scott wouldn’t know what to do with Kamara, Cohen, or McCaffery. I really wanted Cohen the human joy stick. Heck JG and Scott can’t figure out how to use two TEs or Beasley and Switzer together and the Pats have the blue print laid out for them to see. Most coaches can watch film understand what the other team is doing and come up with their own plays.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I’d like to see them get and use a fast little scat back. Had Dunbar all that time and I know he had injuries but even when healthy they weren’t creative enough to use him. JG and Scott wouldn’t know what to do with Kamara, Cohen, or McCaffery. I really wanted Cohen the human joy stick. Heck JG and Scott can’t figure out how to use two TEs or Beasley and Switzer together and the Pats have the blue print laid out for them to see. Most coaches can watch film understand what the other team is doing and come up with their own plays.

Oh, I agree that would be helpful as well. Though, I think Rod Smith has the capability of that. The problem is, of course, that Linehan doesn't know what to do with that. And, when he's healthy, I'd LOVE to see us integrate Gathers and Witten on cross patterns. Almost like a pick play with each other. As for Rod Smith, he appears to be quick when it comes to his ability to play. I could see us using him that way if we had a better OC.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is he a QB or a WR in your book?

To me he is a WR just doesn’t have the build to be a out of the pocket running QB. He is not very good in the pocket. He reminds me of RG3 and I think Watson will end up same way all beat up. If you want to be a running QB you better be built like Cam. I think Jackson could be a special WR 6-3 210 with some good speed.
Or built like Dak (6-2, 240).

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Oh, I agree that would be helpful as well. Though, I think Rod Smith has the capability of that. The problem is, of course, that Linehan doesn't know what to do with that. And, when he's healthy, I'd LOVE to see us integrate Gathers and Witten on cross patterns. Almost like a pick play with each other. As for Rod Smith, he appears to be quick when it comes to his ability to play. I could see us using him that way if we had a better OC.

Yeah I like Smith I think he is a great backup to EE and looked good catching some passes last year I’d just like to see someone faster. One has to wonder where could we have gone in 14 and 16 with a better OC.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yeah I like Smith I think he is a great backup to EE and looked good catching some passes last year I’d just like to see someone faster. One has to wonder where could we have gone in 14 and 16 with a better OC.

Yup, not to mention that, with Smith's hands, short passes to running backs are just as good as runs.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Theo Riddick is a free agent this offseason.

One of the best receiving backs in the league. I'd ne very interested in the cheaper of him and Tavon Austin