Lamar Jackson?

tm1119

Reaction score
Just lazy to call him a WR...There are FAR less talented QB’s who get multiple shots in the league. Do I have confidence in him becoming a franchise QB? No not really

RandyOh

Reaction score
I see no reason for him to not at least try being a QB in the NFL. If he can't hack it then move him to WR as a back up plan to stay in the league.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Just lazy to call him a WR...There are FAR less talented QB’s who get multiple shots in the league. Do I have confidence in him becoming a franchise QB? No not really
How is it lazy to call a 57% completion mobile QB who is not built to take the pounding a WR? I am putting in work evaluating what position he would fit in since I don’t view him as a QB. To me it is lazy just say since he was a QB in college he is still a QB in the NFL.

Gameover

Reaction score
I don’t think he’s an nfl qb

He’s been overrated since the Clemson game in 2016.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
A pet-friendlier Mike Vick anybody?
Passing wise good comp I think Vick was around 56% at VT. Vick is 6 215lbs Jackson is 6-3 211lbs. I think where the difference will be is in the Speed I think Vick ran a 4.33 at his pro day doubt Jackson gets close I think Jackson will be in the 4.5s.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Lots of people complain about Daks accuracy around here.

Dak was college career 62.8% with 66.2% in his last season

Jackson was a 57% completion with 59.1% in his final season.

So how can everyone who rags on Dak be ok with Jackson. If you think Jackson will be making plays with his feet he is 211lbs Dak is 230lbs. Dak is built like a RB Jackson is built like a WR Jackson won’t hold up. If you are going to be a mobile QB need to be built like Dak and Cam of not you end up like RG3 and looks like Watson is headed down the same path.

Some fair points but if you think Dak is even remotely as dangerous with his feet as Jackson you’re trippin.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Some fair points but if you think Dak is even remotely as dangerous with his feet as Jackson you’re trippin.
No I don’t think Dak or Cam are as dangerous with their feet as Jackson is but my point was they are built to take the hits and Jackson is not. Jackson just like RG3 won’t survive the punishment from D-linemen and LBs. Only slight built QB to survive long term was Vick and he had amazing speed which I doubt Jackson can match and even Vick got hurt. Watson hurt his rookie year, kid for the Titans always injured, RG3 done and one could argue all of those guys were better passers than Jackson. I just think he is best at WR.

rags747

Reaction score
Ex Giants VP of player personnel

I love Lamar Jackson. I think it’s unfair to him to just try to throw him away as a wide receiver. I don’t think that’s inspired thinking. With Lamar, you talk about a guy who did improve, I was actually at his very first game at Louisville when they played down at the Chik-Fil-A game in Atlanta and he got in the game and there was another guy starting and it was like, wow, look at this guy, I mean he’s all over the place. But he’s gotten better and better each year. He can read defenses, he’s very poised, he can deliver on time.

“The offense they run there, he takes a lot of shots down field, so he’s not running some dink-and-dunk system. He runs pro concepts with what he does.

I think everything gets overshadowed because he is just such a dynamic athlete and runner — one of a kind, besides (Michael) Vick, this guy.

But he has developed tremendously and he’s going to keep getting better as a passer.”

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jackson reminds me a little of former Colorado Buffalo and Pittsburgh Steelers QB Kordell “Slash” Stewart who was used in multiple ways including WR, QB and even occasionally as a RB. Stewart was used a lot in goal line situations because he could pass, run or receive in those situations.

That seems to me what Jackson’s value will be. Very few college QBs can easily convert to receiver. Tyrell Pryor is one of the few that has successfully switched.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I really wanna see Jackson given the opportunity to play QB. I'm not sure of Blake Bortles contract situation (free agent this year?), but I think a team like Jacksonville could make alot of sense. They could take Jackson and work him into the offense giving him some snaps throughout the game all while allowing him to gain some seasoning and development. A team like Buffalo also makes sense.

I think any team that puts him in as a Day 1 starter this season is setting him up for failure.

I will also say he intrigues me as a WR. When he has the ball in his hands he reminds me of a taller Peter Warrick with his cuts.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Jackson reminds me a little of former Colorado Buffalo and Pittsburgh Steelers QB Kordell “Slash” Stewart who was used in multiple ways including WR, QB and even occasionally as a RB. Stewart was used a lot in goal line situations because he could pass, run or receive in those situations.

That seems to me what Jackson’s value will be. Very few college QBs can easily convert to receiver. Tyrell Pryor is one of the few that has successfully switched.

I agree he does remind me of Slash.

I will disagree about the QB to WR thing it happens a lot more often than you think.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
It is attempted a lot, but not that many are successful.
Edelman for the Pats, I think Crayton was, Dennis Franklin, Michael Robinson from QB to WR/RB/FB, Ronald Curry, Matt Jones, Brad Smith, Josh Cribbs, Antwaan Randle El, Freddie Solomon, Brian Mitchell, and a few others all were QBs in college and switched in the NFL. I left off guys like Hines Ward who played QB and WR in college.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yes
QB on some plays yes.
WR on some plays yes
RB on some plays yes
TE on some plays yes.
HB on some plays yes.

He would be an extremely dynamic player with the "right" offensive coordinator.

Yup, unfortunately, Linehan isn't creative enough.