Twitter: Lamb eligible for contract extension 2023

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm guessing we could see the template for Dez contract used for Lamb. Even if he balls out this season, no way Stephen's going to extend him with only one elite season under his belt. He will make him prove it again in 2024 and possibly tag him in 2025 but keep in mind this is the same year Dak becomes a free agent.

Either way, although I started the thread, talk of a big-time extension is premature coz he still has a lot to prove himself worthy.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Which is kind of dumb because the earlier you get it the cheaper it is even though the time when the money starts paying out does not change.
The other side of that is what if a guy gets hurt or starts to stink. It's better to pay fair value even if inflated for a player than to get stuck in a Jaylon Smith situation. Also, the time when you pay out the money does change if that's an issue. The day they sign you are giving them a huge signing bonus.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
If he proves to be a number 1, trade him after 2023, for a 1st round pick to draft another Jalen Tolbert type, then you have a new top receiver on a rookie contract. There are just too many skilled players available in the draft. Rinse and repeat. Use the money saved, on the trenches and defense. Spending an outrageous amount of money on WR, and RB is crazy

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Prove you're a #1.. Stop dropping the ball. Then we'll talk money...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I see this as a big season for Lamb, he has the opportunity to go out as the #1 WR and will all come down to how much of an impact he makes for this team. Ball is in his court how he plays will determine his future

Bates

Reaction score
If he proves to be a number 1, trade him after 2023, for a 1st round pick to draft another Jalen Tolbert type, then you have a new top receiver on a rookie contract. There are just too many skilled players available in the draft. Rinse and repeat. Use the money saved, on the trenches and defense. Spending an outrageous amount of money on WR, and RB is crazy

yeah, I don’t think it’s that simple or you’d see this happening all over. In your scenario your trading a proven #1 for an unproven rookie and you’d have to have someone to trade with. Why would other teams trade and pay top $ instead of using that #1 to draft a wr? I do, however, agree with the general point of your post. With wr pay sky rocketing you have to really analyze and project that wrs importance to winning and the teams ability to build the rest of the roster.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Lamb will have his chance to earn it this season.

Let's see how he does without Cooper taking the majority of the attention away.

I still think Jerry will pay him big regardless, because it's Jerry. Once they forced the 88 on him he was guaranteed at least 1 big contract.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More reasons behind trading Cooper to pay Lamb later. :muttley:
Then fans can whine why pay him too much, save the cap money...so they can then whine, why not use the cap money for an over rated aging vet player. :lmao2:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lamb will have his chance to earn it this season.

Let's see how he does without Cooper taking the majority of the attention away.

I still think Jerry will pay him big regardless, because it's Jerry. Once they forced the 88 on him he was guaranteed at least 1 big contract.

He was not forced to wear 88 IMO. But yes, Jerry may wait. Agree, He will pay one way or another, regardless, if Lamb steps up like we all hope he does.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Lamb is under contract through 2023 and then will be have his 5th year option renewed for 2024. That’s 3 more years

Good luck with that. He plays well this year, you bet he'll be holding out next year for the extension. These player know how to work this front office.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jerry kindly told him he will wear 88 and like it.

It's just Jerry being Jerry.

Well ok then. Yup Jerry being Jerry. Wants to continue the 88 tradition which does it really mean anything anymore?
Maybe if they win a SB it may be relevant again. Who knows, who cares....just go win...

ESisback

Reaction score
Hasn’t played one game yet as the WR1, but time to stress over his future cap-crippling contract.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Well ok then. Yup Jerry being Jerry. Wants to continue the 88 tradition which does it really mean anything anymore?
Maybe if they win a SB it may be relevant again. Who knows, who cares....just go win...
Yeah, I don't get it either.

It's not like the number gives you powers or something. It's just weird stuff.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I don't get it either.

It's not like the number gives you powers or something. It's just weird stuff.

The way Jerry dumped Dez, the 88 lost its luster IMO. Maybe CeeDee should have been allowed to create his own tradition with the number he wanted.
This is where the marketing Jerry let it go to his head for jersey sales. Trying to keep that 88 tradition.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Lamb and Diggs can get extensions after this season. That doesn't mean they will. Jerry had been known to wait. The good news is that Lamb has a 5th year option. This way at least their big cap hits will be staggered a year.

I'm not sure Lamb gets one next year. I think Diggs will.
Meanwhile the Cabo/mail it in from there option remains in full effect.