Lamb Has Undeperformed

exciter

Reaction score
Surprise! It’s been two games, can we wait on declaring Ceedee a 2? 11 targets both games, improved to 7 for 75 game two. Can we give it at least half a season before declaring this guy is not a 1?

Like sheesh guys it’s been 2 weeks. Week 1 was his first week ever as an NFL WR1. Last week he did well. Let’s give him time before closing the door on Ceedee as WR1.

Am I declaring he’s that guy? No. But I do understand that it takes more than 2 weeks to decide such a thing. I know we love overreacting, it’s in this forums DNA, but let’s wait and see before declaring one thing or another.
He does fine vs single coverage, as he got last week with the Bengals geered up to stop the run. When he has to play against double coverage in zone or vs a high end corner his production drops precipitously, indicating he’s more suited as a #2 WR and should be payed accordingly or let walk!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Surprise! It’s been two games, can we wait on declaring Ceedee a 2? 11 targets both games, improved to 7 for 75 game two. Can we give it at least half a season before declaring this guy is not a 1?

Like sheesh guys it’s been 2 weeks. Week 1 was his first week ever as an NFL WR1. Last week he did well. Let’s give him time before closing the door on Ceedee as WR1.

Am I declaring he’s that guy? No. But I do understand that it takes more than 2 weeks to decide such a thing. I know we love overreacting, it’s in this forums DNA, but let’s wait and see before declaring one thing or another.
Hard to judge this early especially with Gallup, Washington and Tolbert not even playing a single snap. The passing offense was expected to start slow, until the return of Gallup. Lamb is seeing all the coverage now, that should change once we get healthy at the position.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would like a larger sample size.
I agree with you. But I will also say after seeing Lamb for over 30 games in his career, IMO he’s shown what he mostly is- an excellent slot receiver who has high YAC potential and good playmaking skills.

But- IMO, he’s not a top 20 receiver in this league. He does not have blazing speed or great hands. He is still very good but I honestly think most fans have overrated him. He is what he is. A very good but not great NFL receiver. He’s still young enough to get better but I don’t think his ceiling is much higher.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In game 2 of this season, Davante Adams had 2 catches on 7 targets for 12 yards. Is he a #2 WR now...

CeeDee had 1 bad game and 1 good game.
- He had 7 catches for 75 yards with a 64% catch rate in game 2.
  • For reference, average catches per game in 2021:
    • Amari Cooper: 4.53
    • Davante Adams: 7.23
      • i.e. CeeDee's 7 catches in a game was good.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He does fine vs single coverage, as he got last week with the Bengals geered up to stop the run. When he has to play against double coverage in zone or vs a high end corner his production drops precipitously, indicating he’s more suited as a #2 WR and should be payed accordingly or let walk!
Or it says that our QBs are either afraid to throw into double coverage, or just bad at it.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree with you. But I will also say after seeing Lamb for over 30 games in his career, IMO he’s shown what he mostly is- an excellent slot receiver who has high YAC potential and good playmaking skills.

But- IMO, he’s not a top 20 receiver in this league. He does not have blazing speed or great hands. He is still very good but I honestly think most fans have overrated him. He is what he is. A very good but not great NFL receiver. He’s still young enough to get better but I don’t think his ceiling is much higher.
While maybe he can reduce the dropsies, I think he is what he is at this point. Good WR, not great.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not sure if he's limited his own opportunities, or if the ball isn't finding him as much as it should be.
We know he's had issues with drops. We've seen him both play well and disappear. And this is with 2 different QBs.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Lol! Ow wow… wasted Dez and Coop? Dez did absolutely nothing once he left here! Cooper earned himself a 100m contract while here, with some of his most productive seasons in his career!
His best years were in Dallas. But that's the opposite of the narrative.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We know he's had issues with drops. We've seen him both play well and disappear. And this is with 2 different QBs.
I thought he had drop issues too, but I've seen stats that tell a different story. I think it's just the timing of the drops, or the fact that they should've been easy catches.

Reactions: G2

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Was it the Forum or the Cowboys front office that said he was our # one WR ?
Seems to me that once they traded Coop the Front Office kinda made that declaration?
All that said, I agree we need more games to figure out if he's the Alpha WR or not.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I thought he had drop issues too, but I've seen stats that tell a different story. I think it's just the timing of the drops, or the fact that they should've been easy catches.
I agree, probably bad timing. Seems like we had a few

blueblood70

Reaction score
In game 2 of this season, Davante Adams had 2 catches on 7 targets for 12 yards. Is he a #2 WR now...

CeeDee had 1 bad game and 1 good game.
- He had 7 catches for 75 yards with a 64% catch rate in game 2.
  • For reference, average catches per game in 2021:
    • Amari Cooper: 4.53
    • Davante Adams: 7.23
      • i.e. CeeDee's 7 catches in a game was good.
:thumbup: nice way to slow the hate train down..these clowns wont stop anti-CD; pro AC = poor cowboy fandom. Where was all this AC hype when he was actually here.. non-existent really.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He disappeared last 2 years whenever he was put in the #1 WR position. DK why anyone thought that would change this year. He needs a WR like Cooper to draw the attention/traffic from him. Hes a good #2

Most people don't normalize WR production against the attention they receive from the defense. WR #2 production is usually a mirage.

The irony is we dumped Cooper based on the production Gallup and Lamb got when they were playing second and third fiddle to Cooper.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Hmmm… practically every reception Cooper made here was vs double coverage. In fact his being doubled is what lead to much of the success that Lamb has had!

It wasn't just Lamb who benefited from Cooper, it was the entire offense. The guy who takes double teams makes life easier for every other teammate on the field. And that's even if he doesn't produce. The rest of the offense was playing 10on9 when Cooper was on the field. His production was gravy.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I think this offense has performed to their potential. We knew Lamb was not a #1. It’s not Lambs fault the FO refused to address a position we KNEW we were going into the season on the short end of the stick

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I was just thinking,who was the last wr we drafted that really panned out? It's got to be Michael,right?..I like CD,but until proven, he's an Alvin Harper, great #2, nothing special #1

The more I look at CD, the more he looks like a lighter, quicker Gallup. Until that quickness turns into quality route running, he's nothing special.

Shane612

Reaction score
I rest in comfort knowing that this team hasn't had a real #1 receiver since Dez Bryant.
So, whoever can make a play, that's your #1 of the day.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hmmm… practically every reception Cooper made here was vs double coverage. In fact his being doubled is what lead to much of the success that Lamb has had!
I'm not, nor have I ever disputed that Cooper is a very good receiver, and his route running gets him open more than most WRs would. That said, Dak looked worse in this season's first game than I think I've ever seen him.