Lamb is on pace to break Irvin's single-season Cowboys records

Shane612

Reaction score
The people who are complaining about this are the same ones who complained when Mike broke the record in a 16 game season instead of a 14 game season.
But It's a legit argument. Therefore, it's hard to compare players from different era.
All I know is Irving is a three time SB champion, and his Cowboys wasn't nearly as passing happy.
I'm not taking anything away from Lamb. He's having a great year.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I wonder how many game Bob Hayes played, per season?.
Good question, Coach!

Here is a year-by-year list of the amount of games the Cowboys have had to play since their team inception in 1960 - 2023.

* In 1960, the Dallas Cowboys only played 12 games in that season.

* The following year in 1061, the Dallas Cowboys jumped up to a 14 games season. It remained a 14 game season from 1961 - 1977.

* In 1978, the NFL increased each team's games from 14 to 16 games in a season. The Dallas Cowboys remained playing 16 game season from 1978 - 2020.

* In 2021, the Dallas Cowboys and every other team had their season games list increased by 1 game. It was increased from a 16 game season to 17 games per season.

* In 2021, every NFL team now play 17 game seasons.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/index.htm

bandfan

Reaction score
If you going to compare different eras then avg. per game is the stat to use. See Jim Brown..

CCBoy

Reaction score
Pretty sure some franchise annals will list the three ecords for the three different season lengths (or make note of it under the new record if Lamb gets it).
1,000 yds is still very relevant in sophisticated offenses!

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. The record was achieved in the years of Emmitt Smith. Pretty amazing, actually.

Shane612

Reaction score
Only to stat nerd fanboys and the Diva athletes who actually care about anything but winning championships.
Can you respond without the insults?
:rolleyes:
And if you don't like talking about stats so much ignore the thread.

nobody

Reaction score
It's a completely different era with different rules. Irvin could push off of DB's while Lamb can't. But receivers now have a lot more protections and the game is a lot more pass-happy. I think that an extra game will help Lamb, but the the rules changes to make games more higher scoring and to protect WR's more helps more.

If it came down to which I'd want in their prime, it would be Irvin every time, but Lamb is no slouch and a wonderful WR to have now.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Can you respond without the insults?
:rolleyes:
And if you don't like talking about stats so much ignore the thread.
I was not insulting you ....... I was just stating the only people who care about records and stats.

Until someone else brings as much to win championships as Irvin, he will remain the Cowboys best ever receiver.

Only the fantasy football guys care about anything but winning championships.

CeeDee is turning into a playmaker who you can rely on in the big moments ....... hopefully he will one day be talked about as an equal to Mike.

Motorola

Reaction score
It's a completely different era with different rules. Irvin could push off of DB's while Lamb can't. But receivers now have a lot more protections and the game is a lot more pass-happy. I think that an extra game will help Lamb, but the the rules changes to make games more higher scoring and to protect WR's more helps more.

If it came down to which I'd want in their prime, it would be Irvin every time, but Lamb is no slouch and a wonderful WR to have now.
I will always pay homage to the "Playmaker" for his Cowboys' career.
And I am thoroughly enjoying Lamb's burgeoning status as the next Cowboys League Superstar.

Motorola

Reaction score
We miss an end zone receiving threat.
QB room + WR room + RB room - all need to get to get together to iron out the discombobulated efforts inside the 20 that has plagued the Cowboys offense from scoring more TDs - ASAP

MS17

Reaction score
Michael gave the Cowboys (and us) some of our greatest moments. I'm flat out, a huge fan of Michael Irvin #88. (He's the only reason I tune in to NFL Channel's Gameday Morning)
And Michael has said he wants Lamb to break Irvin's records more than anyone. I believe him.

GINeric

Reaction score
to be fair if someone's going to make a post, shouldn't we put what yardage target, also add its an extra game ie always will be an asterisk now in fans minds with all these extra games going from 12-14-16- and now 17

I lie to see them break it say lamb get it at game 16 then its much more valid but if it takes the 17th game and barely squeaks by, not as impressive but great season anyway,

Michael Irvin has the most yards on receptions for the Cowboys in a season, with 1,603 yards in 1995.

Well the same could be said for all the record holders in the 80s, 90s, and 00s'. They used to play 14 games a season, up until the 1970s before it went to 16 game seasons.

So should we asterisk those decades after the 70s as well??? If we're going to keep it consistent.....

mldardy

Reaction score
According to Warren Sapp, Michael Irvin wasn't a real receiver because Marshall Faulk had more receptions. This must not make Calvin Johnson a real receiver either. :rolleyes:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Well the same could be said for all the record holders in the 80s, 90s, and 00s'. They used to play 14 games a season, up until the 1970s before it went to 16 game seasons.

So should we asterisk those decades after the 70s as well??? If we're going to keep it consistent.....
Hall of Fame acknowledgement is enough of a 'statistical relevance' for clarification.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think he's just getting started with breaking a bunch of Cowboys WR records.

BTW.....Is just me but he looks a lot thicker than previous years, more mass.