Lamb is on pace to break Irvin's single-season Cowboys records

mcmvp

Reaction score
to be fair if someone's going to make a post, shouldn't we put what yardage target, also add its an extra game ie always will be an asterisk now in fans minds with all these extra games going from 12-14-16- and now 17

I lie to see them break it say lamb get it at game 16 then its much more valid but if it takes the 17th game and barely squeaks by, not as impressive but great season anyway,

Michael Irvin has the most yards on receptions for the Cowboys in a season, with 1,603 yards in 1995.
Hell yes they should account for that. They should also count for the fact that the game was played completely different way back then…different rules (fewer rules), and that receivers in this era have a much easier time accumulating stats… Just like QBs do.

It’s one of my pet peeves when people compare current players stats to those that played a generation ago. Younger fans don’t really understand this yet… But they will when it’s their turn to get older lol

morat1959

Reaction score
Too early to put him in Irvin’s class. He’s got a big upside. He looks smaller than Irvin to me. We crown these guys way too quick. I hope he gets it though. Stats only count if it’s in route to a SB.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Too early to put him in Irvin’s class. He’s got a big upside. He looks smaller than Irvin to me. We crown these guys way too quick. I hope he gets it though. Stats only count if it’s in route to a SB.
Give the man full credit for what is superior when he does it...

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hell yes they should account for that. They should also count for the fact that the game was played completely different way back then…different rules (fewer rules), and that receivers in this era have a much easier time accumulating stats… Just like QBs do.

It’s one of my pet peeves when people compare current players stats to those that played a generation ago. Younger fans don’t really understand this yet… But they will when it’s their turn to get older lol
You're kidding, right? Sure the receivers could push off, but the DB's could literally lay them out. Much easier to get the stats today.

And the Cowboys were a running team that occasionally passed. Aikman would have every record known the man if they had been a pass-first team.

HungryLion

Reaction score
One of the most underrated WRs of all-time. Dude was amazing man. The Goat Cowboy ive ever seen
True that man. He was incredible. You add in that on field leadership, work ethic and his mentality.

Just incredible.

I say this half in jest. But we need somebody a player that will literally threaten to stab a teammate if they arent carrying their weight.

You didn’t half *** it around Irvin or you were gone.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
I like Lamb but I’m team Irvin here.

1600+ when we didn’t need to pass because we had Emmitt?

Child please.

CCBoy

Reaction score
True that man. He was incredible. You add in that on field leadership, work ethic and his mentality.

Just incredible.

I say this half in jest. But we need somebody a player that will literally threaten to stab a teammate if they arent carrying their weight.

You didn’t half *** it around Irvin or you were gone.
His weapon of choice were scissors...

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
There are eight games left in this regular season. Lamb has 975 in 9 games. If Cee Dee breaks Irvin's record in 16 games, regardless of what the world thinks, will you people here accept that as the best?

The 17th game would be gravy with an asterisk. But not if he posts over 1603 in 16.

GINeric

Reaction score
Without a ring, meaningless numbers. Kinda like Romo being the all time franchise leader in just about every passing category.

Calvin Johnson never been to a Superbowl or won a playoff game..... guess what... he got enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Keep thinking numbers are meaningless. Men lie, women lie, numbers don't.

GINeric

Reaction score
You're kidding, right? Sure the receivers could push off, but the DB's could literally lay them out. Much easier to get the stats today.

And the Cowboys were a running team that occasionally passed. Aikman would have every record known the man if they had been a pass-first team.

Not necessarily so. Our running game was so strong that it opened the passing game up that much more. I'm not say Aikman wouldn't be good in this era though.

GINeric

Reaction score
Irvin had a franchise QB that could throw with surgical strike accuracy.
Irvin also had the best offensive line in the game to offer his quarterback time to throw with that surgical strike accuracy and a HOF running back that defenses had to pay attention to.

Thomas82

Reaction score
According to Warren Sapp, Michael Irvin wasn't a real receiver because Marshall Faulk had more receptions. This must not make Calvin Johnson a real receiver either. :rolleyes:
Did he forget that Michael Irvin's career was cut short by injury?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What’s really impressive about Irvin‘s single season career best 1603 yards is that Troy Aikman only passed for 3304 yards.