News: Lamb's Torrid Career Start Has NFL's Head Spinning

blueblood70

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...JTJqv1XrRKfj7-5_FN8D69LvAp8bkIas19ybBGkp4POFg

The best 25-game starts by receivers in a Cowboys uniform:

PLAYER C YDS TD

Bob Hayes 100 2,092 24

Amari Cooper 132 1,914 14

CeeDee Lamb 121 1,661 12

Dez Bryant 96 1,357 15

Drew Pearson 72 1,255 3

Michael Irvin 66 1,203 8

Jason Witten 92 997 6

Tony Hill 34 584 5
cooper wasn't a rookie and already a seasoned WR, dont think he belongs on this list..

its not a fair comp top even add him..if we do that then where does TO place?

to fgirst 16 games as DC

16 85 1180 13.9

next 15.

15 81 1355 16.7

next 16
16 69 1052 15.3

dont have 25 but im betting TO wins this if you allow non rookie non drafted WR on this list like AC.

blueblood70

Reaction score
so TO 3 years

235 catches for 3587 yards 15.2 YPC 38tds

not m any wrs that ever suited up for the cowboys had 3 year stretch like his..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He seems to be now, but as for at the point Lamb was drafted, wouldn't the guy that had just got a $100 million contract and who went on to have more targets, receptions and yards that season have some claim to that?

He was the #1 and most talented the moment we drafted him. It took a year for the stats to show. although he would have had more yards had Dak been here. He was headed that way before he got hurt.

conner01

Reaction score
Jeebus, look at the stat line Bob Hayes put up! The yardage is ridiculous.

I wonder what his best 25 game stat is compared to the best of the NFL?
And that was in the days of a different game where a QB wasn’t throwing 30 times every week

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Bob Hayes’ only 1000 yard seasons happened his first two seasons in 1965 and 66. 1232 was his career best during his second year. The league figured out how to slow him down with zone defenses. His numbers really declined by 1969.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Of Don Meredith’s 2805 yards passing in 1966, 1232 went to Bob Hayes. 13 of his 24 TD passes went to Bob Hayes that season. Once they came out with zone defenses it took more than pure speed. Receivers had to become better route runners.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...JTJqv1XrRKfj7-5_FN8D69LvAp8bkIas19ybBGkp4POFg

The best 25-game starts by receivers in a Cowboys uniform:

PLAYER C YDS TD

Bob Hayes 100 2,092 24

Amari Cooper 132 1,914 14

CeeDee Lamb 121 1,661 12

Dez Bryant 96 1,357 15

Drew Pearson 72 1,255 3

Michael Irvin 66 1,203 8

Jason Witten 92 997 6

Tony Hill 34 584 5

I'm hoping Lamb's contributions in this game makes our opponent's heads spin even more -- we've got the stuff to do this!!:thumbup:

fivetwos

Reaction score

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
NFL films put Bob Hayes number two on this list of the fastest players. They put Darrell Green number one because he was so fast for so long. This clip features Bob Hayes.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Justin Jefferson's first 25 games....

143-2,175-11

~league's head explodes~
Just imagine if Lamb didn't drop the football like he does. Then ...maybe...you could praise him. But so far...all I see is a guy that has a lot of room for improvement.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Bob Hayes’ only 1000 yard seasons happened his first two seasons in 1965 and 66. 1232 was his career best during his second year. The league figured out how to slow him down with zone defenses. His numbers really declined by 1969.

I don't think this is really accurate.. I think what happened is that the Cowboys and their overall offense got better and didn't have to rely on Hayes to the same extent .. The Cowboys were the #1 offense in the league in '68 and '69. The Cowboys were developing into a Super Bowl team.. it's pretty logical that a lot of individual numbers will decline as teams become more complete and we know Landry absolutely was a stickler for the offense being varied. A lot of the superstars hated him for it while they were playing but appreciated it after they realized that he prolonged their careers.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
NFL films put Bob Hayes number two on this list of the fastest players. They put Darrell Green number one because he was so fast for so long. This clip features Bob Hayes.

Darrell Green could never have beaten Bob Hayes head to head. Nice that Green was able to last as long as he did.. but that didn't make him any faster. Bob Hayes ran 10.05 in the 100 meters on a cinder track.. which loosely translates to about 9.85 on modern surfaces. NFL Films got it wrong.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't think this is really accurate.. I think what happened is that the Cowboys and their overall offense got better and didn't have to rely on Hayes to the same extent .. The Cowboys were the #1 offense in the league in '68 and '69. The Cowboys were developing into a Super Bowl team.. it's pretty logical that a lot of individual numbers will decline as teams become more complete and we know Landry absolutely was a stickler for the offense being varied. A lot of the superstars hated him for it while they were playing but appreciated it after they realized that he prolonged their careers.

I think what I stated is pretty accurate. The entire league spent a lot of time game planning Bob Hayes and came up with the zone defense to combat his speed. This neutralized him to a degree and the Cowboys couldn’t rely on him as much and had to look for other options by spreading the ball around. There was a bigger emphasis on the running game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Darrell Green could never have beaten Bob Hayes head to head. Nice that Green was able to last as long as he did.. but that didn't make him any faster. Bob Hayes ran 10.05 in the 100 meters on a cinder track.. which loosely translates to about 9.85 on modern surfaces. NFL Films got it wrong.

Bob Hayes should have been ranked number one based on his world record 100 meters but we don’t know if Darrell Green could have beaten him. Green reportedly ran a 4.18 40. Don’t know what his hundred meter time was. I would say that he may have been the fastest player I’ve ever seen in pads. Tony Dorsett had almost a 10 yard lead on him and Green ran him down like he was standing still. He chased down Herschel Walker and Ron Brown who was an Olympic sprinter. Some think Bo Jackson was even faster than Green. Everyone has an opinion and all anyone can do is speculate.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
ITS really a thing that they throw the ball so much more now than then and also those Db's back then could be way more physical. its hard to compare eras honestly. Ceedee's a beast though.
True, but the WR's also used to get away with a lot too. For example offensive PI was rarely ever called unless it was egregious, now if they extend their arms at all the flag is coming out. I mean not that that completely offsets the fact that WR's used to get decapitated going over the middle, but it's a factor.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think what I stated is pretty accurate. The entire league spent a lot of time game planning Bob Hayes and came up with the zone defense to combat his speed. This neutralized him to a degree and the Cowboys couldn’t rely on him as much and had to look for other options by spreading the ball around. There was a bigger emphasis on the running game.

In Hayes' first two seasons the Cowboys went 17-10-1 .. in years 3-4 they went 21-7. "Neutralizing" Hayes didn't really work out that well for the league.. He had 25 TDs in years one and two.. then 20 TDs (10 each) in years three and four. The injury bug bit him in '69 and '70.. that's why his overall numbers went down but his yards and catches per game stayed about the same. In fact his 4 catches per game in 1969 was the second highest of his career.. and his 26.1 yards per catch in 1970 was his career best.. Oh and he scored 10 TDs that year (on 34 receptions) as well. I still say age slowed Bob Hayes down more than any defense ever did..

MyFairLady

Reaction score
so TO 3 years

235 catches for 3587 yards 15.2 YPC 38tds

not m any wrs that ever suited up for the cowboys had 3 year stretch like his..
I was thinking the same thing why did they leave out TO. He pretty much had the best 3 years stretch ever for a Cowboys WR.