News: Lamb's Torrid Career Start Has NFL's Head Spinning

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Dorsett said after the game he saw him coming. He never mentioned running out of gas. You can see in the video Dorsett looked to his right and saw both players. He said he knew he would get past the first defender but Green just came right up on him like he was shot out of a cannon. Here’s Darrell Green winning the fastest man in the NFL contest in 1988. Herschel Walker, Rod Woodson and Willie Gault were amongst the competitors. Green beat Woodson in the finals.

Dorsett doesn't have to "mention" running out of gas. The fact that he is part of the human race tells me that he was already slowing down by the time he got caught. World class sprinters have to train their arses off to try not to slow down any more than they do but none of them has ever solved the problem of most humans not being able to maintain top speed beyond a certain point. Usually between 60-70 yards. So Dorsett may have been running as hard as he could after his 80 yard sprint down the sideline.. but he was NOT running at his top speed. Don't forget that Dorsett had lined up in the I on that play.. 7 yards back from the line of scrimmage which was the 25 yard line. He took the handoff, broke a tackle at the line and cut outside and did not get to a straight line until he had already run 30 yards. Meanwhile Green, by virtue of being a DB, was 5-7 off the line of scrimmage. He watched the play and started to give chase starting at about the 35 yard line. So he got to run anywhere from 15 to 25 yards less than Dorsett did on the play. So by the time he caught up HE was likely still accelerating while Dorsett was starting to slow down. And he didn't have to break any tackles. Again, he was faster than Dorsett anyway.. but he was sure as hell A LOT faster running 60 yards than Dorsett was running 80.

I get that you apparently think Green was the fastest ever and nothing I will say will change your mind. I'm just going to lean on what the stopwatch told me. And the stopwatch said the guy who ran 10.05 on dirt was faster than the guy who ran 10.08 on tartan/rubber. A LOT faster.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Justin Jefferson's first 25 games....

143-2,175-11

~league's head explodes~

This is impressive, but I noticed that in Bob's case there was less catches and more RAC yardage which is just amazing to me. If you look at the 24 yards per catch that is just pure nuts.

I decided to google his lifetime stats. He was Randy Moss and more way before Randy Moss.

A TD every 4.8 touches. A lifetime catch average of 20 yards. To put that in perspective Moss' is 16 yards, and Rice is 15 yards.

This all occurred in an era where passing was not the primary offensive gameplan. Stunning.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People worrying about the #1, #2, #3 designations are missing the point. Nobody in that locker room cares.. Neither should we.
I agree. All three are high quality receivers, and there is no official designation, so why worry about it? On team where there is a big drop off between the best receiver and the next guy the distinction is more notable

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Thanks for the history lesson. I always thought Hayes was track first. I think people tell it that way sometimes because it makes the legend look more impressive, almost like he picked up football on the side.

Yeah what he picked up on the side was playing receiver. Hayes was a running back in high school and college.. and an amazing kick returner. That's why he had below average hands early in his career. What always fascinated me about him was that because only did track on the side he was never really properly trained for track and field. So as fast as he was, dude most likely could have run times that we'd still be chasing if he had been able to stick with track and field throughout his 20's like guys do now instead of getting beat up on the football field. The fact that he set a world record running on what amounted to a dirt track while running like a football player boggles the mind. I really think he was one of those evolutionary freaks whose physical ability may never be matched. Much as I loved watching him play football, I really would have loved to have seen what he could do with 5-6 years of nonstop track and field training.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jeebus, look at the stat line Bob Hayes put up! The yardage is ridiculous.

I wonder what his best 25 game stat is compared to the best of the NFL?
I watched him in the Cotton Bowl catching bombs from Dandy Don. A thing of beauty.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cooper wasn't a rookie and already a seasoned WR

its not a fair comp top even add him..if we do that then where does TO place?
JD_KaPow was responding to the claim that Lamb was the team's #1 receiver the moment he was drafted. In that context it doesn't matter why Lamb wasn't actually the #1 guy last season - if he wasn't he wasn't. I don't think he was trying to disparage Lamb, and we all recognize that as a rookie it's hard to step in immediately and take the #1 role from a high quality veteran.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dorsett doesn't have to "mention" running out of gas. The fact that he is part of the human race tells me that he was already slowing down by the time he got caught. World class sprinters have to train their arses off to try not to slow down any more than they do but none of them has ever solved the problem of most humans not being able to maintain top speed beyond a certain point. Usually between 60-70 yards. So Dorsett may have been running as hard as he could after his 80 yard sprint down the sideline.. but he was NOT running at his top speed. Don't forget that Dorsett had lined up in the I on that play.. 7 yards back from the line of scrimmage which was the 25 yard line. He took the handoff, broke a tackle at the line and cut outside and did not get to a straight line until he had already run 30 yards. Meanwhile Green, by virtue of being a DB, was 5-7 off the line of scrimmage. He watched the play and started to give chase starting at about the 35 yard line. So he got to run anywhere from 15 to 25 yards less than Dorsett did on the play. So by the time he caught up HE was likely still accelerating while Dorsett was starting to slow down. And he didn't have to break any tackles. Again, he was faster than Dorsett anyway.. but he was sure as hell A LOT faster running 60 yards than Dorsett was running 80.

I get that you apparently think Green was the fastest ever and nothing I will say will change your mind. I'm just going to lean on what the stopwatch told me. And the stopwatch said the guy who ran 10.05 on dirt was faster than the guy who ran 10.08 on tartan/rubber. A LOT faster.

I never said Darrell Green was the fastest ever. I said I didn’t agree with NFL films ranking and that Bob Hayes should be ranked number one. As for Tony Dorsett he claimed he never ran faster than a 4.3 40. Darrell Green was clearly faster than Dorsett.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was the #1 and most talented the moment we drafted him. It took a year for the stats to show. although he would have had more yards had Dak been here. He was headed that way before he got hurt.
Some may disagree on whether he is more talented than Cooper, but whether he was the most talented or not doesn't change the fact he wasn't used as the #1 over Cooper. #1 isn't based on a fan's opinion of who has the most talent, it goes to the guy the team chooses to use as the #1. Last year that was Cooper..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Not even Darrell Green would’ve caught Bo Jackson on this play. The defenders had a similar angle to what Darrell Green had on Dorsett but Jackson just flew by them. Some NFL fastest man rankings have Bo Jackson ahead of Darrell Green. The second video shows Bo Jackson getting chased down. He clearly ran out of gas on that play.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He averaged over 20 yards a catch and almost a 1/4 of his catches were TD's. In a time where defensive backs could man handle the receivers. Amazing.
Yes, but it was before defenses were built to handle speed.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...JTJqv1XrRKfj7-5_FN8D69LvAp8bkIas19ybBGkp4POFg

The best 25-game starts by receivers in a Cowboys uniform:

PLAYER C YDS TD

Bob Hayes 100 2,092 24

Amari Cooper 132 1,914 14

CeeDee Lamb 121 1,661 12

Dez Bryant 96 1,357 15

Drew Pearson 72 1,255 3

Michael Irvin 66 1,203 8

Jason Witten 92 997 6

Tony Hill 34 584 5

Why is Amari on this list, his first 25 games were with Raiders.

If first 25 games as a Cownoy then TO should be on this list too.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
The league had never seen anything like Bob Hayes when he showed up. He literally forced the invention of the zone defense because bump and run was never going to work on a guy who could outrun not just every other player on the field but every other person on the planet. His TD rate was absurd.. but with that speed if you didn't tackle him within a couple of strides you were never going to.
At first he could not catch

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Some may disagree on whether he is more talented than Cooper, but whether he was the most talented or not doesn't change the fact he wasn't used as the #1 over Cooper. #1 isn't based on a fan's opinion of who has the most talent, it goes to the guy the team chooses to use as the #1. Last year that was Cooper..

Lamb is the #1 we on the cowboys, cry about it if you want.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lamb is the #1 we on the cowboys, cry about it if you want.

Oh god, you're one of those. lol Someone disagrees with you they have to be crying, right? Yet you're the one starting up with the juvenile insults.

By the way, I didn't say Lamb isn't the #1 now, I said last year the evidence indicates Cooper was. And I didn't in any way suggest Lamb being the #1 bothers me at all. I merely made the factual observation that at the time Lamb was drafted Cooper had gotten the contract of a #1 WR, and over the course of last year he was used as the #1 receiver.

If you want to have a reasonable discussion address the facts I presented. Trying to insult me rather than addressing the content of my posts doesn't make your point.

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Not even Darrell Green would’ve caught Bo Jackson on this play. The defenders had a similar angle to what Darrell Green had on Dorsett but Jackson just flew by them. Some NFL fastest man rankings have Bo Jackson ahead of Darrell Green. The second video shows Bo Jackson getting chased down. He clearly ran out of gas on that play.

It's a fact of human physiology that if you run full speed you WILL run out of gas at some point. I don't care much about NFL fastest man rankings. There has never been an NFL player faster than Bob Hayes.. And the defenders on the play you reference weren't Darryl Green.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Oh god, you're one of those. lol Someone disagrees with you they have to be crying, right? Yet you're the one starting up with the juvenile insults.

By the way, I didn't say Lamb isn't the #1 now, I said last year the evidence indicates Cooper was. And I didn't in any way suggest Lamb being the #1 bothers me at all. I merely made the factual observation that at the time Lamb was drafted Cooper had gotten the contract of a #1 WR, and over the course of last year he was used as the #1 receiver.

If you want to have a reasonable discussion address the facts I presented. Trying to insult me rather than addressing the content of my posts doesn't make your point.

There is nothing to disagree about. Its a fact. You can either watch the Cowboys play or look at stats. Either way, the results are the same. Lamb is the #1. It was obvious from his talent. Some are having trouble accepting reality. Not sure why.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Right now Cowboys have 2 WR who will likely go over 1000 yards and double digit in TD in Lamb and Cooper.

Lamb 47 catches, 726 6 TD and Cooper 44 catches 583 and 5 TD

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Pretty sure Roy has me on ignore because I kept demonstrating how wrong he was about things, which he couldn't admit to or handle. Note how he's been changing the goalposts constantly in this discussion as each successive claim gets disproven. Anyway, good luck to you!