Lame Duck Coach

GenoT

Reaction score
I coached a long time and I saw many lame duck coaches. Thank goodness I was never in that situation, but those that were did not handle it very well. I was close to five coaches that went through that and spoke to them regularly. The pressure they were under was immense. Beyond worrying about paying their bills, the hit to their ego that they might be fired was tough. Do you think Garrett is worried? Yes or no?
No.

Whether it’s as HC or in some other capacity, Jason Garrett is DC for life.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I don't think he is concerned.
I don't even think Jerry is concerned either. As he may not decide on the outcome of keeping him or moving on until they are out of the playoff picture, out of the playoffs, or even if they make the SB win or lose.

But also it would not surprise me if they don't have some type of plan in place win or lose. Win, he gets extended if he wants. Lose, he may get moved into a position in the FO if he does not want to coach somewhere else. Heck, he can win the SB and still decide not to coach anymore. Doubt it, but possible.

Exactly what I see happening ........ remember if he wins, it likely also means Moore first season as OC was successful but they may feel he's not quite ready to be HC. In that case, I can see the extending Garrett 2/3 years to continue grooming Kellen.

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
I knew Bum, he probably said that, but so do most coaches. I was never fired and I take pride in that.

I knew him as well. In fact, he was the head coach at Port Neches-Groves High School (after serving as HC of rival Nederland High School) when my dad took up officiating football. Several officials were having problems getting cleated shoes and Bum gave them all a pair.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I knew him as well. In fact, he was the head coach at Port Neches-Groves High School (after serving as HC of rival Nederland High School) when my dad took up officiating football. Several officials were having problems getting cleated shoes and Bum gave them all a pair.
He was a character! He introduced me to Wade and I ignored Wade so I could talk to Bum. They are both class acts.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm talking about his coaching career, nothing to do with him being a backup QB. There is a lot of pride in the coaching profession. If he's not worried, then I think he sucks even more! However, I give him enough credit to think that he gives a crap and is feeling the pressure. I hope he is, if he's not he should just turn in his letter of resignation.

Of course working a job where you’re week to week or season to season for 15 years conditions you for the next job where you’re season to season. These are all very competitive people at this level. His whole message is about focusing on what he can control and doing the right things daily and not getting distracted.

Besides, if I had to guess, I’d imagine Jason Garrett takes a lot of pride in the teams he’s built and the program he’s established. He’s in a position to understand the challenges of an NFL HC job—not to mention probably the biggest job in the league in Dallas—in a way random fans on internet message boards can’t.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I coached a long time and I saw many lame duck coaches. Thank goodness I was never in that situation, but those that were did not handle it very well. I was close to five coaches that went through that and spoke to them regularly. The pressure they were under was immense. Beyond worrying about paying their bills, the hit to their ego that they might be fired was tough. Do you think Garrett is worried? Yes or no?
He’s not really a lame duck in that his departure is not certain by any means, but sure I think he has to be a little worried. My guess is Garrett is the kind of guy that doesn’t spend excessively and manages his money well (conservative, like his offensive planning), so he’s probably not worried about the financial crunch most people would worry about. Still, there has to be pressure because I’m sure he wants to hold his job.
Garrett knows he’s not getting fired no matter what happens. It’s a family business and his father is his boss
I don’t believe this. He has been given more time than most coaches would have gotten, but that doesn’t make it never ending no matter what. At a minimum he has to stay competitive in the division. He certainly can’t afford to string together a couple of losing seasons.

GMO415

Reaction score
Look at it this way... No NFL team will hire him as a HC, and none will hire him as a OC either. I think a college may pick him up though. Probably his alma mater....

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look at it this way... No NFL team will hire him as a HC, and none will hire him as a OC either. I think a college may pick him up though. Probably his alma mater....

You do not know that, but it is your opinion.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
What Garrett did his first 3 years was fireable, but what he's done his last 5 is absolutely worth an extension. 48-32, 4 winning seasons, 3 playoff appearances, 3 division titles, 3 division round appearances, 2 playoff wins. Above all else, the 2018 Dallas Cowboys are a Jason Garrett team through and through. He has his hand-picked QB, he's done his best to replicate the 1990's Cowboys both in position talent and scheme. Are you going to hire a JG clone like we did with Andy Reid? Very unlikely. What if the next guy is pass happy, or doesn't value a no. 1 WR, or wants a QB who never leaves the pocket? Some of you genuinely hate him, but there is a real possibility that this team stagnates even with all the talent if he leaves.

"Bird in hand" proverb. Is it possible there's a better coach out there? Sure. Is it likely you'll find him right away? Chances slim. Took you a lot of coaches to get to Garrett. Are the chances better that he may be a SB-caliber coach? I'd say yes. You've been close, but the talent on the roster has never been QUITE right.

Last edited:

Bing

Reaction score
I wouldn't say he is a lame duck coach, there is nothing saying he wont be back as the coach next year and years to come. He just happens to be on his last year of his current contract at this point and time.

Now if this season bombs and he is replaced as the coach I would honestly expect him to be promoted to some administrative position like assistant GM or some made up position like that just for loyalty reasons.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
He's been worried for quite sometime now. His dad can't keep covering for him. This up coming season the gauntlet will come down.

The Boys seem to take pride in going the opposite direction. Courtesy of Garrett NOT Dak. Dak may not be Mahomes, but early down play action will make things easier on any qb. For all the winning our Boys did in the second half of '18, they've only outscored their opponents by 17 points total, including the win over Seattle. Their point differential reeks of a team that's due for regression, not one that should stick to the current formula time and time again.

These Boys are winning because they play hard for each other and for Garrett. But they aren't out coaching anyone. Someday, in '19 maybe, it might be nice to see the Boys steal a game they didn't deserve to win, rather than come close to losing a game that should've been in the bag. Not only is Garrett running out of options, but so are the fans when discussing their beloved Cowboys.
Garret knows he will land on his feet with a five years head coaching gig at Princeton if he gets fired.
A top college, let alone Ivy league wouldn't dare ruin their reputation in that aspect. They're aware Garrett is a lousy NFL head coach and wouldn't hire him to coach in the NCAA and think he'll be fourth on the list of winning both a SB & College Championship.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Anda bien cagado "el Red", Coach! :laugh:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's been worried for quite sometime now. His dad can't keep covering for him. This up coming season the gauntlet will come down.

A top college, let alone Ivy league wouldn't dare ruin their reputation in that aspect. They are aware Garrett is a lousy NFL head coach and wouldn't dare hire him to coach in the NCAA.

His Dad is covering for him? How’s that? Garrett’s Dad is deceased.

Let alone Ivy League? Are you under the impression Ivy League has higher football standards than D1 schools? What reputation do you think Jason would ruin at an Ivy League school? How would a second tier college league that is focused more on academics than athletics be ruining its reputation by getting a former NFL coach with a winning record?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I doubt he's worried in the least. He knows he's Jerry's pet, he's in the family portrait, and it would take some kind of total disaster for him to get fired.

He obviously loves him some him and thinks he's doing a great job, so I doubt he feels much pressure at all.

Besides, he's already milked over 50 million dollars out of this job by being a yes man and PR face. Hard to feel too much heat in that situation.

GenoT

Reaction score
I wouldn't say he is a lame duck coach, there is nothing saying he wont be back as the coach next year and years to come. He just happens to be on his last year of his current contract at this point and time.

Now if this season bombs and he is replaced as the coach I would honestly expect him to be promoted to some administrative position like assistant GM or some made up position like that just for loyalty reasons.
My take on JG’s lack of an extension is based on the idea that Kellen Moore is being groomed to, at some point, take over as HC (deja vu, head-coach-in-waiting, JG under Wade Phillips).

If (big IF) that’s the case, then the the duration of Garrett’s next contract might be determined, after the coming season, by judging how far Moore is from being capable of handling the HC job.

Time will tell.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course working a job where you’re week to week or season to season for 15 years conditions you for the next job where you’re season to season. These are all very competitive people at this level. His whole message is about focusing on what he can control and doing the right things daily and not getting distracted.

Besides, if I had to guess, I’d imagine Jason Garrett takes a lot of pride in the teams he’s built and the program he’s established. He’s in a position to understand the challenges of an NFL HC job—not to mention probably the biggest job in the league in Dallas—in a way random fans on internet message boards can’t.
:lmao::lmao::lmao: