Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.

erod

Reaction score
True, but if he had those guys, the Rams would had their starters on defense, too, running true schemes, and the game would have been much faster.

It's been two years since he played. Let's see how he's doing by the end of preseason.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
:muttley: :muttley:

Sydla

Reaction score
I do find it a bit funny that those that are the most anti-Dak are the ones trying to preach patience with Lance.

Lance needs a lot of work. A LOT of work. He's not all that good right now.

cmoney23

Reaction score

But…

lmao!!!!

YOU can't be serious. SMH

RS12

Reaction score
I would love Lance to be the guy but this is as bad as people claiming Dak balled out 4th quarter of the GB game. Accuracy issues and slow reads every where. Every throw high because of his mechanics. The corner fade in the endzone 5 feet out of bounds. I desperately wanna move on from Dak but Lance has a long way to go if ever.

Big D

Reaction score
giphy.webp

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I would love Lance to be the guy but this is as bad as people claiming Dak balled out 4th quarter of the GB game. Accuracy issues and slow reads every where. Every throw high because of his mechanics. The corner fade in the endzone 5 feet out of bounds. I desperately wanna move on from Dak but Lance has a long way to go if ever.
Dak is gone regardless.

Lance not being great isn’t going to stop Dak from chasing that money.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here’s the big problem for Lance - He’s not a rookie. He’s in his 4th NFL season and has played in 8 NFL regular season games and actually started 4 games. If you’ve been in the league this long and still look like a 6th round rookie, its a problem.

I‘ve got nothing against this young man. I would love to see him become a future star at QB here - even a solid backup. But honestly, what I’ve seen so far in TC and yesterday, he doesn’t have it.

Bottom line for me - I’m pragmatic as a Cowboys fan. I’m not married to the idea that Dak has to be our QB. I would love to find someone better. But I also recognize good QBs don’t grow on trees.

And I am not so desperate to replace the QB that has a 73-41 regular season record AND a disappointing 2-5 playoff record that I wear rose colored glasses about Dak or when Trey Lance plays. Lance is still very raw. He definitely has some talent and size, but after 4 years in this league if a QB is still this unpolished, he probably does not have what it takes to be a starter.

If we can find someone better than Dak I’m all for it. But I haven’t seen this FO produce someone yet on this roster that fits that description. Dak has been disappointing to say the least in the playoffs. But so has the whole team. From what I’ve seen of Trey Lance so far, we havent found Dak’s successor.

RS12

Reaction score
Here’s the big problem for Lance - He’s not a rookie. He’s in his 4th NFL season and has played in 8 NFL regular season games and actually started 4 games. If you’ve been in the league this long and still look like a 6th round rookie, its a problem.

I‘ve got nothing against this young man. I would love to see him become a future star at QB here - even a solid backup. But honestly, what I’ve seen so far in TC and yesterday, he doesn’t have it.

Bottom line for me - I’m pragmatic as a Cowboys fan. I’m not married to the idea that Dak has to be our QB. I would love to find someone better. But I also recognize good QBs don’t grow on trees.

And I am not so desperate to replace the QB that has a 73-41 regular season record AND a disappointing 2-5 playoff record that I wear rose colored glasses about Dak or when Trey Lance plays. Lance is still very raw. He definitely has some talent and size, but after 4 years in this league if a QB is still this unpolished, he probably does not have what it takes to be a starter.

If we can find someone better than Dak I’m all for it. But I haven’t seen this FO produce someone yet on this roster that fits that description. Dak has been disappointing to say the least in the playoffs. But so has the whole team. From what I’ve seen of Trey Lance so far, we havent found Dak’s successor.
And when you say disapointing 2 and 5 playoff record what you really mean is horrendous.

Sydla

Reaction score
Bingo and I was on the let's tank this season, hire a young offensive mind to work with Lance, etc train.

But anyone who watches him and thinks he's a viable replacement for Dak at this point is likely fooling themselves.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

But…

While true he didn't have all the Cowboy weapons at his disposal, he wasn't playing against the top Ram defense either. Bottom line is it was one game, and more time is needed to evaluate. I will say he showed his athleticism, and also that he has a much stronger arm than Rush. Maybe even Dak. Accuracy was pretty hit or miss, and didn't really show any great feel for reading defenses. Still, it's too soon to make definitive judgements.

Status
Not open for further replies.