Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Praxit

Reaction score
...I loved Lance because of his mobility. He could run 1st downs with ease. If opportunities were there.

But reality, doesn't work like that. Accuracy, brains, poise, pocket awareness etc.... are some of the things a legit QB needs.

The guy needs work, obviously. That's why we have preseason. Will see more game #2.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Lance looked like a guy that has played in about 28 games in his entire college and pro career. He is raw. there is no doubt about it and was way over drafted by the 49ers. However, you can still see the talent and promise. His mechanics need to be refined, is footwork gets lazy, just like Prescott does at times, which causes the high throws. He has good arm talent. He has good pocket awareness. He moves around well. He protects the ball. He needs to get to his 3rd progression faster and he needs to trust what he sees and let it rip. That will come with more time he plays. Practise can only do so much. He needs games reps. I think he will improve as we go through the PS. We will see.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Bingo and I was on the let's tank this season, hire a young offensive mind to work with Lance, etc train.

But anyone who watches him and thinks he's a viable replacement for Dak at this point is likely fooling themselves.
Some Dak stats with starters:

18-31 145 yards 3 INTs 0 TDs
20-27 179 yards 2 INTs 0 TDs
28-43 216 yards 2 INTs 0 TDs
14-24 153 yards 3 INTs 1 TD
18-27 212 yards 2 INTs 0 TDs
21-34 181 yards 2 INTs 0 TDs

Sydla

Reaction score
While true he didn't have all the Cowboy weapons at his disposal, he wasn't playing against the top Ram defense either. Bottom line is it was one game, and more time is needed to evaluate. I will say he showed his athleticism, and also that he has a much stronger arm than Rush. Maybe even Dak. Accuracy was pretty hit or miss, and didn't really show any great feel for reading defenses. Still, it's too soon to make definitive judgements.
One of the complaints in San Fran was inconsistent touch and he showed that a lot yesterday. The corner route on 4th and goal was a terrible pass. There was another play where he tried to hit the RB flaring out and he threw a 100 mph bullet when all he had to just lay it out there.

I think if you wanted to try to salvage Lance, you probably needed to just start over. McCarthy should have been sent packing. They should have reset the team, looked to trade Dak by letting his agent find a team, and then hired a good young offensive HC who could work with Lance.

erod

Reaction score
I do find it a bit funny that those that are the most anti-Dak are the ones trying to preach patience with Lance.

Lance needs a lot of work. A LOT of work. He's not all that good right now.
I'm not preaching patience. I just know what I expected given the full reality. He's raw and hasn't played in forever.

I did find it funny that Lance demonstrated the same type of shortcomings of Dak, only more so.

Late with the ball, inaccurate, difficulty seeing the field quickly, trouble throwing from the pocket....

Yeah, that looked REAL familiar.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I can already see this thread is gonna give me lots of good ammo for this season.

Y’all hating on Lance for playing with car salesman better hope Dak plays lights out every week with the starters.
Lance was also playing AGAINST car salesmen.

Still couldnt get a TD.

You cant bash a certain someone who does well against car salesmen and then make excuses for one who doesnt. Its doesnt make sense.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I do find it a bit funny that those that are the most anti-Dak are the ones trying to preach patience with Lance.

Lance needs a lot of work. A LOT of work. He's not all that good right now.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

Still couldnt get a TD.

You cant bash a certain someone who does well against car salesmen and then make excuses for one who doesnt. Its doesnt make sense.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
It's wayyyyy to soon to throw him under the bus, but my question for Jerry is what's the end game with him? If the intent is to let Dak test FA after the season then we need to go to the draft (which will be a low pick), and sign a Veteran in the off-season. There is no indication that Lance can be the future, and the question is if Jerry thinks he is (or wants to trade him for capital), how long do we wait for this to happen? MM has been tasked to rebuild, so do they think they make something of him? Not sure there is a plan for Trey, just like there has not been a plan for the entire organization for 30 years

Sydla

Reaction score

LOL. And? Dak has had some clunkers. Some real doozies.

But thinking Lance can replicate what Dak has done is pretty humorous at this point. Lance needs a crap ton of work.

erod

Reaction score

Still couldnt get a TD.

We can if that certain someone is 31 and in his 9th season of failure.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
True, but if he had those guys, the Rams would had their starters on defense, too, running true schemes, and the game would have been much faster.

It's been two years since he played. Let's see how he's doing by the end of preseason.
Two years of no game action is a lot to overcome. Still don't know what kind of QB he's gonna be. I can still hope he pans out, but if he doesn't, it is what it is.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Why dont you post Daks stats with starters in his first preseason?

If you compare Dak's first ever game. As a 4th round pick. Not a top 3 pick.

He looked more like an NFL starter then Lance did last night in his 4th season.

You can keep pounding the table but Lance aint it.

Dak aint it either. Wanting Lance to start because you hate Dak so much you cant see that Lance just isnt good is fine but its not a reasonable or critcal way of looking at things. If Dak gets hurt and Lance starts, the best case scenario is they have a top 10 pick and dont waste it on a project QB. This past draft was the year to draft a QB. Next season the QB crop sucks. So its going to be very painful regardless of what happens.

phildadon86

Reaction score
We can if that certain someone is 31 and in his 9th season of failure.
Im not disagreeing here. I am just saying if you are going to compare. Compare apples to apples. Not apples to bowling balls.

Sydla

Reaction score
If Lance doesn't figure it out by year 8 we'll be anti Lance too
And as I said, if Lance can go out there and have the kind of seasons Dak has had, then he should get those 8 years.

But the problem is that it's unclear that Lance can even replicate what Dak has accomplished let alone actually do better.

I am ready to move on from Dak. But the hilariousness in some of you being so anti-Dak that you'll latch onto some junk QB as a viable replacement is hilarious.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Why dont you post Daks stats with starters in his first preseason?

If you compare Dak's first ever game. As a 4th round pick. Not a top 3 pick.

He looked more like an NFL starter then Lance did last night in his 4th season.

You can keep pounding the table but Lance aint it.

Dak aint it either. Wanting Lance to start because you hate Dak so much you cant see that Lance just isnt good is fine but its not a reasonable or critcal way of looking at things. If Dak gets hurt and Lance starts, the best case scenario is they have a top 10 pick and dont waste it on a project QB. This past draft was the year to draft a QB. Next season the QB crop sucks. So its going to be very painful regardless of what happens.
Dak was throwing to Dez, Beasley, and Williams in his first pre season game.

He had his 1,2, and 3 receiver.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I did not see slow reads. I saw a QB go through his progressions but he sure to release the ball. Self-trust or accuracy issues may have something to do with it, or not yet up to the speed of the game. It’s hard to tell. If I was Lance, I’d reach out to Romo to pick his brain and see if he can help on those timing related things.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I would like to see a nice jump in comfortability and performance from Lance in Game 2.
That would nice to kind of hold on to for some hope for him going forward.
Maybe we'll see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.