Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dak was throwing to Dez, Beasley, and Williams in his first pre season game.

He had his 1,2, and 3 receiver.
Imagine thinking Lance would have dazzled if he had been throwing to these guys.

Look, I get it, you hate Dak. You want him gone. But your hatred and bitterness is turning you stupid in thinking that Lance is just as good.

At this point, Lance is so far behind Dak as a QB. Note, that's not an endorsement of Dak, it's just a statement of fact. Lance needs a crap ton of work and unfortunately showed many of the issues that made San Fran just give up on him. Maybe/hopefully he gets much better as the preseason wears on. It would be great if Lance could developed into a viable option but anyone who isn't juts blinded by Dak hatred can easily admit that Lance ain't there yet. And he may never get there.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
LOL. And? Dak has had some clunkers. Some real doozies.

But thinking Lance can replicate what Dak has done is pretty humorous at this point. Lance needs a crap ton of work.
Lance wont be getting anywhere near $60m for those same clunkers.

This whole “Lance isnt better than Dak, so he should remain our starter” is nonsense.

A change of scenery is whats best for both parties. Let Dak go to a team w a fanbase that will be proud of some meaningless wild card appearances and we start over with a cheap QB to go with our cheap front office

phildadon86

Reaction score

This whole “Lance isnt better than Dak, so he should remain our starter” is nonsense.

A change of scenery is whats best for both parties. Let Dak go to a team w a fanbase that will be proud of some meaningless wild card appearances and we start over with a cheap QB to go with our cheap front office
They should have traded him to Atlanta or Vegas, or New England when they had the chance.

Now in 2025 the worst QB class I have ever seen is on the horizon. Unless the master plan is Archie Manning in 2026 what they are currently doing makes NO SENSE.

Sydla

Reaction score
You want Lance to replicate Dak?
You are the guys trying to make the case that Lance would be no worse than Dak.

At this point, I am pretty confident that Lance can't even replicate what Dak has done. He needs that much work and development. The problem with you guys is you see criticism of Lance as some sort of defense or endorsement of Dak. It's not. Dallas needs to find a new direction at QB IMO. But at this point, Lance isn't that new direction and trying to pretend he showed a lot yesterday in being that guy is just anti-Dakism run amuck.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

At this point, I am pretty confident that Lance can't even replicate what Dak has done. He needs that much work and development. The problem with you guys is you see criticism of Lance as some sort of defense or endorsement of Dak. It's not. Dallas needs to find a new direction at QB IMO. But at this point, Lance isn't that new direction and trying to pretend he showed a lot yesterday in being that guy is just anti-Dakism run amuck.
Lance can easily be the loser that Dak is.

Sydla

Reaction score

And that's fair. I've been very clear and been called anti-Dak by many on this board when I say this - Dak is what he is. I would have gone to him back in March and said hey, I think we are going in a different direction as a franchise and are looking at a rebuild here so why don't you and your agent try to find a team that will give you the chance to win.

But I also won't delude myself into thinking that Lance is a viable replacement at this point. This is a 4-5 win team at best with Lance. Coming here and saying, hey don't criticize Lance for his suspect performance because he didn't have starters, and then using that as some rationale to think he's a viable replacement for Dak is weird. It just is.

Lance is your QB when you want to tank. The moment to decide to tank was months ago. Our front office has no vision, not forward creativity.

Swagger

Reaction score

He stated that the Cowboys still need to draft a QB in the 1st round and that perhaps Lance should not be completely written off after 1 pre season game given he was playing with a lot of guys who will be selling cars etc by September.

It seems a pretty fair assessment. He isn't claiming Lance will be the next Tom Brady but whilst the jury seems to still be out on Prescott after 8+ years many have already written off Lance after one game.

I don't think Lance is the answer but pre season has not finished yet and it is weird at how much some supposed Dallas Cowboys fans hate on him. Odd individuals.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Imagine thinking Lance would have dazzled if he had been throwing to these guys.

Look, I get it, you hate Dak. You want him gone. But your hatred and bitterness is turning you stupid in thinking that Lance is just as good.

At this point, Lance is so far behind Dak as a QB. Note, that's not an endorsement of Dak, it's just a statement of fact. Lance needs a crap ton of work and unfortunately showed many of the issues that made San Fran just give up on him. Maybe/hopefully he gets much better as the preseason wears on. It would be great if Lance could developed into a viable option but anyone who isn't juts blinded by Dak hatred can easily admit that Lance ain't there yet. And he may never get there.

Also to add that Lance was throwing to some of the best weapons and WRs in the NFL when he was with the 49ers. And had one of the best offensive systems and rosters to work with. The same offensive rosters who has been able to get to the NFC Championship game with Purdy as their QB. Yet struggled to keep his starting job and eventually was demoted to 3rd string there. We'll see what Trey Lance does in the next couple of preseason games. But so far he hasn't shown signs that he is the answer to replacing Dak or that he can be the QB who can take this franchise where we want it to go.

kskboys

Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
I thought Lance looked like a viable backup.

Sydla

Reaction score
They should have traded him to Atlanta or Vegas, or New England when they had the chance.

Now in 2025 the worst QB class I have ever seen is on the horizon. Unless the master plan is Archie Manning in 2026 what they are currently doing makes NO SENSE.
The plan should have been crap can McCarthy after the GB game. Then immediately tell Dak this is a rebuild/restructure and allow him and his agent to seek out trades. They should have also considered a trade of Lamb or Parsons to load up on picks and then worked the draft to add some young guys as well as maybe trade some picks to add more picks in the future.

An aggressive, creative GM likely would have done that. Jerry isn't that guy. Stephen certainly isn't either. They are stuck in limbo here. Wait, don't spend money on FAs to get better as we need the money for our stars. Then it's wait, we aren't going to sign our stars either. I have zero idea what they are thinking here because when you look at the totality of the offseason, it's so disjointed.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Lance had some real accuracy problems for sure, but he does move well. His pocket presence might already be better than Dak's. He's got an arm if he can tame it. He is still #3 on the QB depth chart. Dallas should keep 3 QB's on the roster at all times anyway, regardless if #3 is Lance.

Dallas needs to keep throwing resources at the position. They have devoted precious little draft capital to the most important position in football, and have 3 decades of mediocrity to show for it.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
The plan should have been crap can McCarthy after the GB game. Then immediately tell Dak this is a rebuild/restructure and allow him and his agent to seek out trades. They should have also considered a trade of Lamb or Parsons to load up on picks and then worked the draft to add some young guys as well as maybe trade some picks to add more picks in the future.
100%

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
I haven't seen the game, but the problem with Lance is, there are too many people (some of whom know their trade) who say he doesn't have what it takes to play in the NFL. This is concerning to say the least.

I'm not writing him off yet or anything, but drafting a QB should be the highest priority for the next couple of years. But this has been said many times, whether Lance was on the team or not. Jerry once again thought he knows better and could get out cheap with his QB. Seems like that will backfire once more.

Still, fingers crossed. I didn't give up on Dak until 2021 and I'd be willing to give any QB at least 5 years to develop.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
True, but if he had those guys, the Rams would had their starters on defense, too, running true schemes, and the game would have been much faster.

It's been two years since he played. Let's see how he's doing by the end of preseason.
didn’t he play last preseason for the 49ers???

phildadon86

Reaction score
You think Dak balls out yesterday with those guys?

The”MVP runner up”.
Keep dancing around the fact your logic fails.

Top 3 QB couldnt get into the endzone with 4 picks to help him.

And no I dont think Dak "balls out" but I think he gets into the endzone at a minimum. Heck Cooper Rush dropped a 43 yard dime. Lance isnt it. As much as you want him to be.

This thread is you making excuses for a top 3 pick. Which is what you want the Cowboys to draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.