Landry believed players with strong relationships with their dads were better equipped for the NFL

Rayman70

Reaction score
Landry would not have drafted Jason Witten whose father was out of his life after beating his mother and siblings. He would have passed on Dez who grew up idolizing Cowboys with no father in his life. He would have passed on Larry Allen, father was not in his life to console him after being stabbed 8 times as a 10 year old child protecting his younger brother.

That is probably why the Cowboys had those bad 80's drafts until Tex hired Bob Ackles to get Landry out of the draft process. Landry was a great coach and innovator. But he was not perfect. Having a father influential in your life is not a good indicator of success or failure.
well said

Rayman70

Reaction score
Landry would not have drafted Jason Witten whose father was out of his life after beating his mother and siblings. He would have passed on Dez who grew up idolizing Cowboys with no father in his life. He would have passed on Larry Allen, father was not in his life to console him after being stabbed 8 times as a 10 year old child protecting his younger brother.

That is probably why the Cowboys had those bad 80's drafts until Tex hired Bob Ackles to get Landry out of the draft process. Landry was a great coach and innovator. But he was not perfect. Having a father influential in your life is not a good indicator of success or failure.
I never knew that about Witten. Goes to show you..... you cannot broad brush an individual based on a predetermined mindset. Like I said before, Landry was complicated....and sometimes..he complicated the draft process. See Darrel Green and the fact he passed on him because of a predetermined thought process. Jimmy J would have drafted him on the spot. Promise u that.

Master22

Reaction score
Huge applause to your mom. Its seems to often the women have to do it alone for he wrong reasons.

I’ve know many good men in my life removed from the home and treated as a wallet because of an abusive system that cared very little about them.

But indeed, I’ve seen many good men grow up in single parent homes as well.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I’ve know many good men in my life removed from the home and treated as a wallet because of an abusive system that cared very little about them.

Seen many good women too, I bet.

Corso

Reaction score
Absolutely, the odds might be better in two parent homes but as others have said there are plenty of those homes that are just messed up and would be better off single parent.
Strong humans are strong humans.
I always relate to the nature vs nurture argument and I generally come to a middle of the road conclusion because there are so many variables on both sides for anybody to come to a real consensus.
I acknowledge that a proper and nurturing two-parent home is possibly the greatest of situations for a developing human.

I don't find that to be the norm.
Just look at the simple stat of divorce rate.

Last edited:

Master22

Reaction score
Strong humans area strong humans.
I always relate to the nature vs nurture argument and I generally come to a middle of the road conclusion because there are so many variables on both sides for anybody to come to a real conclusion.
I acknowledge that a proper and nurturing two-parent home is possibly a the greatest of situations for a developing human.

I don't find that to be the norm.
Just look at the simple stat of divorce rate.

Yeah divorce is it’s own huge topic lol.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
He killed thousands of *****?
Is that documented?
Just wondering because the first tenet here is to state the truth.
You want to walk it back?
Or at least admit you EXAGGERATED!!!!?????
That Man slayed scads of the master race thru his sheer brilliance of the judicious use of diligence in chalk board formulated planning & Landry-Like ferocity thusly applied,,,o_O

Corso

Reaction score
The man was a WWII veteran who was responsible for killin' thousands of *****. The man's a hero. Someone did something right in raising him. RIP Coach Landry.
There's something to be said about soldiers carrying out orders...

Master22

Reaction score
*it tends to weigh heavily into the pertaining multiple of variables in the aggregated equation, huh?,,,my,ol' buddy&forum fellow:thumbup:

I’m not going to lie, sometimes when I read your posts I question how much I have had to drink lol.

But yes, so many variables in life nothing is ever as black and white as it’s made out to be.

Corso

Reaction score
I’m not going to lie, sometimes when I read your posts I question how much I have had to drink lol.

But yes, so many variables in life nothing is ever as black and white as it’s made out to be.
I remember a brief moment in time when he decided, for some range reason, to post as a reg and I went into full Nukular mode over it.
My @Melonfeud has a code of language and only those of us who can get it should get it!
Everyone else? Go fish.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

:laugh: Copy that:thumbup:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Landry's idea has been modified in recent times. Its more like those with strong relationships with their dads are better able to stomach cowboy playoff football. :laugh:

Master22

Reaction score
I remember a brief moment in time when he decided, for some range reason, to post as a reg and I went into full Nukular mode over it.
My @Melonfeud has a code of language and only those of us who can get it should get it!
Everyone else? Go fish.

It’s really no different than if I type out as it comes into my head so once I actually look at it I can follow.

cowboyec

Reaction score
In 1989, what kind of grown man plays hide and seek all over Texas to avoid Jerry Jones when all Jerry wanted to do was fire old Tom face to face? (Jerry found old Tom on a golf course.)

Then, what kind of sulking, girly man tells the media his firing could have been "handled better"?

And when Jimmy took his first team to the Super Bowl (1993?) what kind of sick liar was old Tom to say he was gonna be too busy to watch Dallas in the Super Bowl?

Cold, vindictive, calculating dog Tom was.
bull.

cowboyec

Reaction score

yes he would have.
he didnt say he wouldn't draft a player who did or didnt have a strong bond with his dad.
he said....allegedly....he thought they were better equipped.
nothing about talent or lack there of.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Not sure what you mean by "abusive system". If you have one parent, you are behind the 8 ball. 2 parents and that's tough.

cowboyec

Reaction score
my guess NOT very good. Lay ya dollars to donuts Tom never had the relationship with his Dad...so in his mind he thought that could be the missing element in a persons life...his own, and the player or prospect. If only it were that easy Tom lol...life doesn't always work out so cut and dry. That's where Tom sometimes came off cold and had a disconnect with his players....sometimes..simply out of touch with reality. Having a father is a great thing, but not the only barometer of measuring a prospect. Gotta look at the man as an individual. Tom was guilty many times of putting a guy in a box of sorts and making up his mind about him. That happened to Duane Thomas I would bet, altho he had some mental stuff going on. Once Tom labeled a player, you were just DONE. Great coach, not so good judge of character...and to be fair, after he retired, he admitted some of his own shortcomings in that area. I think he regretted it.
according to people who knew both...their bond was strong.