Landry believed players with strong relationships with their dads were better equipped for the NFL

nobody

Reaction score
My father had an accident when I was 2. I had zero father-figure in my life. My mother had boyfriends, but they were just dudes to me.
I ended up being my father's caretaker, at the end of his life and after 3 decades of moving him from nursing homes to head injury centers, all the while he never knew who the hell I was.
My mother would tell him I was his youngest son and he would give me the bird and yell "Liar!".

I ended up a good man. A successful (I think anyways) person in my area of business and happy. I have a very happy family and I'm proud of it.
I get that kids having a good, strong father can be an advantage, but it's not the end-all be-all for figuring life and it's challenges out.

There are many single-parent children and they carry Amazing within them.

That must have been hard for you and hurt every time he did that, even if you felt you got used to it. I am sure that your children saw you take care of him and love him anyway and they learned from it.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Im amazed by the responses to a statement attributed to Coach Landry that he may or may not have said but at face value was mostly positive....unreal.
to each his own.
damn proud of Coach Landry and what his life stood for.
Im more apt to give him a solid considering he spent most of his life in pro football....(me....none)...dealing with a variety of men from different walks of life....was incredibly successful at it...and a majority of those men were better for his influence on them on and off the field.
not ashamed of the success of this team,its history....and sure as hell not gonna disrespect the patriarch of this franchise because someone on twitter says he said something....second hand....and even if he did...its a positive statement...not negative.
but ka-sa-roo-sa-roo.
Just because someone disagrees it does not mean disrespect. I respect Tom Landry as a war hero, coordinator, head coach, football innovator, President of the fellowship of Christian Athletes, and Sunday School teacher. He continues to not get credit for his records that were not been broken until Bill Belichick. Tom Landry's impact on football is still in effect (see the spread formation, shotgun, 4-3 defense, motion offense, etc.)

I have meet Tom Landry and spent time with him. If he said something as ridiculous as that, he was wrong. Counting the times someone mentions their "Dad" is a absolute ridiculous scouting criteria for football or non football. It also support stereotype misrepresentation of people not having a father. I know Tom Landry was not about stereotype misrepresentations. Because many players viewed him as a father figure when their football careers were over including players who could not stand him as a coach like Thomas Henderson. I seriously doubt Landry used "Dad" as a scouting criteria.

If he did, he was wrong. If he did the Cowboys scouting department did not use it to my knowledge. I seriously doubt he used mentioning of the word "Dad" as a scouting criteria.

Its a good fathers day story in a warped twisted way. But I call B.S. on that just like Cosby did with "Hi Mom"

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I worked with a guy who had a descent job and was able to have a nice house while allowing his wife to not have to work and take care of their three children. Needless to say, she didn’t want to give up the daily lunch dates with her other female friends. So with a little convincing from her group she didn’t, and as time went bye they convinced her how nice it was for them after they divorced their husbands since they could continue to not work, keep the house and have a lot provided continually from their ex. So she did just that. Since of course he’s a man and was larger than she was, it was recommended to her that she said how she was afraid he would get mad and hurt her. So for the first 3 weeks of the ordeal he lived out of his car with just the clothes on his back because the day he got served he left his wallet home. Didn’t matter how great he was with the kids, how much he loved and cared for his wife. F how much he sacrificed his time and body so she could be with the kids, courts didn’t care. It was only after her having to take care of the tasks he did around home did she rethink her position. Fortunately he was smart enough to tell her where to stick it.

My brothers wife at the time pulled the same kind of stunt. Refused to work, brought home random men while he was at work and leave a toddler on her own until she decided to get out of bad 3pm in the afternoon because she was still high or hungover. He worked 60 hr weeks minimum to provide for her and when she pulled the plug he was still on the losing end. As the lawyer told him, you are playing a defensive chess game with the exception that you are playing with pawns only. There much more to the whole situation, but yes... abusive system.
Man, I have heard horror stories like this many times and know a few who have gone through that. I also know **** men who have done their wives just as badly. I waited until I was 39 to get married and think I've been extremely lucky. I got really screwed over by some girlfriends back in the day but I think I did finally find the one. We have a good arrangement where I earn most of the money but she handles most of the day to day BS, which allows me to do my thing. She actually used to be married to a guy who made upper six figures so she's certainly not in it with me for the money. I hope your personal life has gone better than that story.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I'm not debating you.
Facts are facts.
All the info is there. We know everything about families and their relationships in relation to children.

I'm not debating you.
You guys got me.

I'm wrong.
Naw man, it's not a wrong or right issue. Life is fluid. Statistically, it's not really debatable but it's up to the individual how they deal with it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess Hayes, Rentzel, Septien and Henderson were exceptions?

Most coaches have their theories on what makes a good football player and are proven right and wrong consistently.

What % would you guess of the players in the NFL in the last 25 years are were raised by single Moms? Since the divorce rate was lower when Landry coached, his opinion might have had more validity but as the divorce rate and out of wedlock rate has risen and the % of African-American players has grown, I would bet that number is close to 50%.

Had he continued to coach during these last 25 years, he might have chosen to rethink that belief. He was an analytical man and wanted to have a formula but he would have found the flaws in that formula had he coached the last 25 years.

I don't think it matters. If it did, we wouldn't have kids so different and at different levels of success in life from the same family unit. I've seen that too much to believe that's all environmental upbringing.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
During the Landry years the Cowboys used game performance, scouting, athletic measurable, and the wonderlic score for determining prospects. They added position specific wonderlic tests. It did not have questions about the players Dad.

Only one player during the Landry years failed the position specific wonderlic and played for the Cowboys. That was a famous Cowboys LB out of WV. Guess who? Once you guess, you will realize there are always exceptions.

What is true is the Cowboys put huge emphasis on players that were team captains in college. This was done in the Landry, Johnson, Parcells, and Garrett eras. Why? They were either voted leaders or selected as leaders of men by teammates or coaches. Good leaders are always great followers.

cowboyec

Reaction score
During the Landry years the Cowboys used game performance, scouting, athletic measurable, and the wonderlic score for determining prospects. They added position specific wonderlic tests. It did not have questions about the players Dad.

Only one player during the Landry years failed the position specific wonderlic and played for the Cowboys. That was a famous Cowboys LB out of WV. Guess who? Once you guess, you will realize there are always exceptions.

What is true is the Cowboys put huge emphasis on players that were team captains in college. This was done in the Landry, Johnson, Parcells, and Garrett eras. Why? They were either voted leaders or selected as leaders of men by teammates or coaches. Good leaders are always great followers.
Chuck Howley???