Largest Employer by State

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ugh. This map speaks volumes

walmart-nation-1024x778.jpg
How is it private employers when these schools are state schools?

csirl

Reaction score
Interesting.

Where I live the biggest private sector employers are all tech, pharma or medical device companies. We even have part of the city centre called "Googleland" as Google have bought or rented most of the buildings.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It wasn't just the pocketbook savings that made Walmart what it is today. I grew up in small town Arkansas in the 70's and when Walmart came to town it was a godsend. When Walmart arrived in town we now had a place where there was ample parking, extended hours, a bigger selection than our normal mom & pop stores, and with better prices. How can any normal person not chose that with what their choices were before? Before we had to drive 45 minutes away to the nearest K-Mart but when Walmart came along it was minutes to go to a store like that.

We did have a Gibson's in town and I always thought it was a good store, but when Walmart game along they quickly closed their doors.
He bought the other Gibson's after putting a few of them under.

Whereabouts in AR? I grew up a big city boy in Little Rock.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He bought the other Gibson's after putting a few of them under.

Whereabouts in AR? I grew up a big city boy in Little Rock.
Magnolia. I have a brother that still lives there and another that lives in the Little Rock area.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Magnolia. I have a brother that still lives there and another that lives in the Little Rock area.
Been there, used to travel the state in my first real job as an adult. And there are some that would argue my meaning of adult, it's that years thingy.

I will officially be a non Arkansan next year as that will be 45 years after I departed for New Orleans for depravity lessons. I can bury my Hog Hat with honors. One thing about being a Razorback, all of those bad seasons weren't as bad as we initially thought. This one was beyond anything I could imagine. The fact that anyone beyond family members showed up is a testament to their loyalty. I blame Booger. He played there and I blame him for everything else so why not this?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll tell y'all one thing about ole Wallymart, there are a hell of a lot of people on fixed incomes in this country barely scraping by and if not for them forcing the prices down, they would have a much tougher time.

And I really don't see the negativity about them being the largest employer because I've seen a lot of their employees and Walmart will give a lot of them a chance and sometimes second and third chances. In my last job in OK, I helped them recruit and I learned a lot about them on the inside and they're not a bad company. Everything funnels into one central theme, low prices and they'll do whatever necessary to achieve that. And while we make fun of them, and I take every chance, there is no company battling the big pharm companies over their gouging the elderly with their pricing like Walmart. Next time you are in one, take a stroll over to the pharmacy and take a good look at those poor people, some have to choose between food or meds and Walmart continues to fight to try and get the greediest businesses in this country to stop these practices.

kskboys

Reaction score
It wasn't just the pocketbook savings that made Walmart what it is today. I grew up in small town Arkansas in the 70's and when Walmart came to town it was a godsend. When Walmart arrived in town we now had a place where there was ample parking, extended hours, a bigger selection than our normal mom & pop stores, and with better prices. How can any normal person not chose that with what their choices were before? Before we had to drive 45 minutes away to the nearest K-Mart but when Walmart came along it was minutes to go to a store like that.

We did have a Gibson's in town and I always thought it was a good store, but when Walmart game along they quickly closed their doors.
Those mom and pop stores were not just a little higher, on some things they were double or triple.

I resented Walmart at first, but it's here and not going away any time soon.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone likes to hate the big companies, ATT, Apple, Microsoft and Walmart. And now Amazon and Google are staring to catch some heat but the one I love to hate the most is Zuckerberg and that annoying Facebook. I am just waiting to see him/them get nailed. And they're getting closer and closer. I am going to use a Like the size of Rhode Island when that happens.