Larry Allen agrees to terms with San Francisco

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Dallas did what they felt was the right thing for them and Larry is doing what is good for him. I have no hard feelings towards Allen and wish him the best. As zrinkill said I hope to see Larry sign a 1 day contract and retire as a Cowboy

I was listening to an interview with Ronnie Lott the other day. Suprisningly, he admitted the 49ers were successful because they knew when it was appropriate to cut veterans and allow younger talent to develop. He admitted the 49ers did the right thing by cutting him although he was upset at the time of course. But he is right, we totally had to cut Allen. He was aging and had issues with his weight. His pass blocking was lacking and he really couldn't function well when switching positions. He pretty much could be effect as a guard in a run blocking scheme. I know he will excell in this position but he is asking for too much money for his value. I don't blame him for leaving either. He was upset with Parcells and he wants to get as much money as he can at this point in his career. Best of luck to him.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
well i can understand wanting a lot of money at this point and not really caring if he wins or not but DAMN goin to the 49'ers who are not only a rival of ours but they suck

Pooz

Reaction score
I hope he got paid YUCK! What a gross way to end your career.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I was listening to an interview with Ronnie Lott the other day. Suprisningly, he admitted the 49ers were successful because they knew when it was appropriate to cut veterans and allow younger talent to develop. He admitted the 49ers did the right thing by cutting him although he was upset at the time of course. But he is right, we totally had to cut Allen. He was aging and had issues with his weight. His pass blocking was lacking and he really couldn't function well when switching positions. He pretty much could be effect as a guard in a run blocking scheme. I know he will excell in this position but he is asking for too much money for his value. I don't blame him for leaving either. He was upset with Parcells and he wants to get as much money as he can at this point in his career. Best of luck to him.

Totally agree with this...And this was one of Jerry's biggest faults...Keeping people way past their prime.

He did the right thing with Allen...Doesn't mean we have to be happy about it...or can't call Allens signing for what it is...He signed for the money...Not to win...There's nothing wrong with that...but call it for what it is.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
One of those wierd things

It is a shame Larry Allen won't retire a Cowboy, he was a great one for you guys, one of the best ever

One of the football coaches at my old High school is Matt Dyson who played football for Michigan and the Raiders for a few years before injury ended his career (yes he is related to Kevin Dyson)

He said he had never been hit so hard as he was by Larry Allen, said it was like getting hit by a truck because he was so strong and fast off the snap off the ball

AbeBeta

Reaction score
good for him. hope he got a ton of cash.

good location for him -- he's got a place in Sonoma I believe.

we get the 9er's as the home team here - I'll cringe looking at his huge booty in those gold pants.

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
49ers | L. Allen contract update
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:52:29 -0800
Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports free agent OG Larry Allen (Cowboys) signed a two-year contract with the San Francisco 49ers believed to be worth between $4 million and $5 million per year. The deal is contingent upon Allen passing a physical and then signing the contract.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DLK150 said:
49ers | L. Allen contract update
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:52:29 -0800
Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports free agent OG Larry Allen (Cowboys) signed a two-year contract with the San Francisco 49ers believed to be worth between $4 million and $5 million per year. The deal is contingent upon Allen passing a physical and then signing the contract.

wow. California does have better drugs!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
zrinkill said:
I have seen more disrespectful post about Larry its unreal .......... they really need to put an age limit on this place.

I second that...how anyone can bad mouth this guy is unreal

of course there were hoards of pathetic Dallas fans that bood Troy Aikman too, so I guess I shouldnt be surprised

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I was listening to an interview with Ronnie Lott the other day. Suprisningly, he admitted the 49ers were successful because they knew when it was appropriate to cut veterans and allow younger talent to develop. He admitted the 49ers did the right thing by cutting him although he was upset at the time of course. .

yeah right...what exactly have the Niners won since 1994? not crap

and they had to sign half the pro bowl defense in that crazy 1994 (season of the disappearing Niners salary cap) season to do that

David

jcblanco22

Reaction score
Justis said:
I'm betting Norv had something to do with this. It's probably better than what they already had.

I'm not sure if this was the logic behind stating this, but remember that Allen never played under Norv. Allen's rookie year was Norv's first season as coach of the Commanders, so Zampese was actually LA's first offensive coordinator.

Of all the very bright spots of Allen's career, I can't think of that rookie season without remembering Switzer hanging Larry out there to dry at tackle on a very badly sprained ankle in the NFC Championship against the Niners that we ended up losing. Ron Stone was sitting healthy on the bench and wasn't brought in until Rickey Jackson and Tim Harris had taken advantage of LA's injury multiple times.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
At least we don't have to worry about seeing him in the playoffs. :laugh1:

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
Frisco thinks incumbent LG Justin Smiley is a little too small so Allen will definitely start there. I'm sure A. Smith is happy now that Allen is protecting his blindside. 49ers fans are definitely happy:

http://www.***NOT-ALLOWED***.com/forum/thread.php?num=8070

"hillyniner
Mar 23, 2006 at 19:17:55 Reply 12 of 14 Quote

He's one of those players you HATE when theyre on another team and LOVE when on YOUR team. I used to hate this guy so much, but now?? IM FIRED UP!!!!

FRANK GORE 1 MILLION RUSHING YARDS!"

Lol, Allen will get as much love in SF as he did here...

aznhalf

Reaction score
So I guess we can't bring him back to control our idiot kicker.

He got more money than we could have given him, the NFL is a business unfortunately.

Sad to see him go, he is one of my Top 5 favorite players of all time.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
aznhalf said:
He got more money than we could have given him, the NFL is a business unfortunately.
Actually we could have given him that much we just didn't want to. We didn't think he was worth that much.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
I don't look at this as a shame. This is just the natural cycle of the NFL these days. Players have to look out for their family and earn as much money as they can because their careers are so limited. And teams have to know when to cut players when they age. No team likes letting their former greats go but it is a necessity. I'm happy for Larry Allen and the Cowboys at the same time. It's a win-win situation as far as I'm concerned.