CFZ Last Decade: Being NFC 1 Seed has not produced many SB winners

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Here’s an interesting fact: In the last ten years, the team earning the #1 NFC seed in the playoffs has only won the SB two times. Three other times the NFC’s #1 seed has made it to the SB and lost. So 50% of the time the last decade an NFC #1 seed has made it to a SB. Only 20% of the time has that team won a Lombardi.

Here are the NFC #1 seeds the last decade and how they fared:
  • 2012- Atlanta was the #1 NFC seed- they lost in the NFC championship game to SF.
  • 2013- Seattle was #1 NFC seed and won the SB.
  • 2014- Seattle was #1 NFC seed- won NFC championship but lost SB to New England.
  • 2015- Carolina was the #1 NFC seed- won NFC championship but lost SB to Denver.
  • 2016- Dallas was #1 NFC seed- lost in divisional round to #4 seed GB.
  • 2017- Filly was NFC #1 seed and won the SB.
  • 2018- New Orleans was #1 seed in NFC- lost in NFC championship to #2 seed rams.
  • 2019- SF was the #1 NFC seed and won NFC championship but lost SB to KC.
  • 2020- GB was #1 NFC seed- lost in the NFC championship game to eventual SB champ Tampa Bay who was the #5 seed.
  • 2021- GB again had top seed but lost in divisional round to #5 seed SF.
Sure it would be nice to get the #1 seed in the NFC playoffs this year. We still have a shot. But having it doesn’t mean as much as we used to think.

Getting to the SB as the #1 seed 50% of the time is very strong. Not sure where you came up with ‘Doesn’t mean as much as we used to thinkz’.

Flamma

Reaction score
How is this a bad thing? #1 seed goes to the Super Bowl 50% of the time out of a field of 8 teams. I’ll take those odds. In that same 10 year span how often has the wild card team went to and or won the Super Bowl? If I’m correct 1 the 2018 Eagles.

You mean the 2020 Bucs. The 2017 Eagles weren't a wildcard. The 2018 Eagles didn't get to the SB.

BigCowboysHomer

Reaction score
Instead of bolding just the Super Bowl winners, how about also bolding the NFC #1 seeds that won the NFC Championship Game and went to the Super Bowl, or made an appearance in the NFC Championship Game, something the Cowboys have failed to do for 26 years.

• 2012- Atlanta was the #1 NFC seed- they lost in the NFC championship game to SF.
  • 2014- Seattle was #1 NFC seed- won NFC championship but lost SB to New England.
  • 2015- Carolina was the #1 NFC seed- won NFC championship but lost SB to Denver.
  • 2018- New Orleans was #1 seed in NFC- lost in NFC championship to #2 seed rams.
  • 2020- GB was #1 NFC seed- lost in the NFC championship game to eventual SB champ Tampa Bay who was the #5 seed.

So out of the 10 listed NFC #1 seeds, 8 made it to the NFC Championship Game, 5 made it to the Super Bowl, and 2 won the Super Bowl.

Looks like being the #1 NFC seed is a good thing.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If we don't win out, I hope we go on the road and wear our blue jerseys every time.
In fact, I hope we have to go on the road. I fear the circus atmosphere of playing at home. I think being road dawgs will focus us a bit more. If we're underdogs, that may be a good thing.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
Ok…but this thread is about the last decade…not all time.
First two words in title: “Last decade…”
Yours is a statistical anomaly… And that’s fine, yes it’s true have been a lot of #1 upsets in the NFC for the last 10 years…But overall it’s better to be the number 1 seed… Better by quite a bit…

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
...wow, so in bigger sense, its almost bad luck..lol.. How wierd.

There's no positive parlay to getting #1 seed. According to recent years.
But of course, that’s foolishness. You can pick arbitrary time ranges to support that argument, but looking at everything shows that it’s not really legitimate.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we don't win out, I hope we go on the road and wear our blue jerseys every time.
In fact, I hope we have to go on the road. I fear the circus atmosphere of playing at home. I think being road dawgs will focus us a bit more. If we're underdogs, that may be a good thing.

No. You don't give your opponent home field advantage.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Instead of bolding just the Super Bowl winners, how about also bolding the NFC #1 seeds that won the NFC Championship Game and went to the Super Bowl, or made an appearance in the NFC Championship Game, something the Cowboys have failed to do for 26 years.

So out of the 10 listed NFC #1 seeds, 8 made it to the NFC Championship Game, 5 made it to the Super Bowl, and 2 won the Super Bowl.

Looks like being the #1 NFC seed is a good thing.

Yeah I think this just proves how meaningful it is to be the 1 seed.

Which will be the Eagles this year.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No. You don't give your opponent home field advantage.
I mean, I'll take it if it's available.
But the last two times we had home field advantage we were one and done.
I'm up for a change.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yours is a statistical anomaly… And that’s fine, yes it’s true have been a lot of #1 upsets in the NFC for the last 10 years…But overall it’s better to be the number 1 seed… Better by quite a bit…
The reason I showed the last ten years is the last ten years show a trend. Three of the last four SB winners weren’t #1 seeds and I think it’s because the league has much more parity between teams as the owners have always wanted.

I never said it was “bad” to be the #1 seed. I’m just pointing out there has been a clear trend the last ten years.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
The reason I showed the last ten years is the last ten years show a trend. Three of the last four SB winners weren’t #1 seeds and I think it’s because the league has much more parity between teams as the owners have always wanted.

I never said it was “bad” to be the #1 seed. I’m just pointing out there has been a clear trend the last ten years.
Fair enough. Some of the other posters seem to be saying it’s bad though.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Here’s an interesting fact: In the last ten years, the team earning the #1 NFC seed in the playoffs has only won the SB two times. Three other times the NFC’s #1 seed has made it to the SB and lost. So 50% of the time the last decade an NFC #1 seed has made it to a SB. Only 20% of the time has that team won a Lombardi.

Sure it would be nice to get the #1 seed in the NFC playoffs this year. We still have a shot. But having it doesn’t mean as much as we used to think.

We are old enough to remember when the 1 or 2 seed routinely reached the big game. Then...... the salary cap happened. Now, being number 1 means nothing. Look at last season and all of those games decided in the final minute. Yep... the salary cap works, and it works very well.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I never thought the word luck, and the NFL went together. But now with part-time, referees, illnesses, young players. I think it’s like 10% of the game in my opinion. Yep you need a little bit of luck to go to the Super Bowl today wasn’t Patrick Mahomes supposed to have five rings by now. Luck is not on their side. We definitely have a shot, go, Cowboys I believe in positive wavelengths lol.
you think the Vikings didnt get lucky a few weeks back against the Bills?

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
What that shows is that us and the packers are the only two number 1 seeds in the last ten years to not even win a game as the number 1 seed in the nfc.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Let's not forget how the 2018 Saints "lost" to the Rams. This not being called PI in the last minute cost us all a chance to see a Brees-Brady SB. I would've liked to have seen it.

pass-interference.gif

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Good research Bob
We had the number one seed and lost to the Giants a few years earlier with Romo ?

Jarntt

Reaction score

Thanks for doing the leg work and posting. Actually thats Better success than I would have guessed. Lots of NFC Championship games. Except for us of course:(

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's not forget how the 2018 Saints "lost" to the Rams. This not being called PI in the last minute cost us all a chance to see a Brees-Brady SB. I would've liked to have seen it.

pass-interference.gif
Great point. And the NFL admitted it was a blown call, then instituted a “system” to review pass interference calls. Which the following year resulted in almost zero changed calls. Then the next year it gets dropped.

This is exactly why when I hear any absurd “conspiracy” stories about the NFL working together to keep Dallas out of a SB, I remember how this league can’t even define what a catch is or when to call PI. How in the world could they possibly hold some conspiracy against the Cowboys together? It’s laughable.

plasticman

Reaction score
Being the hot team coming out of the regular season is far more relevant than seeding.

It's all about building and sustaining momentum.