CFZ Last Decade: Being NFC 1 Seed has not produced many SB winners

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Jake, post: 12364959, member: 39211"

pass-interference.gif
[/QUOTE]
I still to this day cant understand how this was not called PI, this is about as blatant as it gets.

On top of PI, it is clearly targeting as well with helmet to helmet contact.

And folks think the league is rigged against Dallas because Jerry tied to get Goddell fired:laugh:

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I mean, I'll take it if it's available.
But the last two times we had home field advantage we were one and done.
I'm up for a change.

The last 2 times we made the playoffs we were #4 and #3 seed and lost. I’m up for trying again as #1 lol

JBS

Reaction score
The list of teams not to make an nfc champ game appearance as the 1 seed isn’t long. And it’s sad

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm guessing the odds are much better at the 1 seed than the 5 seed. Not 100% of course but a whole lot better.

Flamma

Reaction score
Let's not forget how the 2018 Saints "lost" to the Rams. This not being called PI in the last minute cost us all a chance to see a Brees-Brady SB. I would've liked to have seen it.

pass-interference.gif

Normally I don't like seeing a team advance on a penalty. I don't complain about missed calls. If much rather a game filled with missed calls over wrong calls. But in this case, that was so absurdly obvious it should be criminal.

Either way, Brees did get another shot at it.

starfan1

Reaction score
I’m for whatever path they get. # :1 said gets you a little rest and home field which hasn’t necessarily worked in our favor but I’d take it

id also he ok with playing Tampa as 5 seed rather than the niners to begin with. As much as Tampa has had our number I do think that’s the easier path
Barring something unforeseen I think it’s difficult to catch Philly but not impossible
they have a heavy nfc east schedule down the stretch

cristglo

Reaction score
It hasn't. I think there's a few factors in why this is the case.

I think a first round bye hurts more than it helps. I'm not saying I don't want it because it means you get home field throughout the playoffs. Who wouldn't want that?

But the Cowboys are hot right now as is the 49ers and Philly. To kill that with a week of not playing I just think hurts more than helps.

Only thing that sucks though is playing Brady in the Wild Card game at his house.....scary thought though this team shouldn't be.

I hear ya that is what I have been saying Cowboys don't need a break because they get lazy and come back flat. I also don't want to play Brady as Rodgers he seems to have our number.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I hear ya that is what I have been saying Cowboys don't need a break because they get lazy and come back flat. I also don't want to play Brady as Rodgers he seems to have our number.
Yeah it would be nice to get that monkey off our back with Brady but wild things can happen in the NFL. And with all that youth on our side on defense? That could be a tricky matchup.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
We are old enough to remember when the 1 or 2 seed routinely reached the big game. Then...... the salary cap happened. Now, being number 1 means nothing. Look at last season and all of those games decided in the final minute. Yep... the salary cap works, and it works very well.

:hammer:

Makes it sound simpler than it is, but really is about who is hot and healthy as the season closes.

Like our current direction but losing AB stings if Joseph doesn’t play to his potential.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The list of teams not to make an nfc champ game appearance as the 1 seed isn’t long. And it’s sad

I think Garrett gets a lot of unfair criticism, but this is where I blame Garrett. Or Wade. Our teams never came in ready. That’s on the head coach.

Flamma

Reaction score
We are old enough to remember when the 1 or 2 seed routinely reached the big game. Then...... the salary cap happened. Now, being number 1 means nothing. Look at last season and all of those games decided in the final minute. Yep... the salary cap works, and it works very well.

I think what you're remembering, as do I, are better, more stacked number 1 and 2 seeds. But even the ones we have now don't seem to have a problem. Lets look at the last 10 years.

2012-- N/A
2013-- Two number 1 seeds in the SB
2014-- Two number 1 seeds in the SB
2015-- Two number 1 seeds in the SB
2016-- One number 1 seed and they won the SB.
2017-- Two number one seeds in the SB
2018-- N/A
2019-- One number 1 seed and they lost the SB.
2020-- One number 1 seed and they lost the SB.
2021-- N/A

That's more number 1 seed success than in any other 10 year span. In fact, from 1975 to 2011 two number 1 seeds met in the SB 9 times. We saw it happen 4 times in the last decade.

dckid

Reaction score
50% have made it to the SB. Only 20% have won a SB.
Let me ask you a serious question and a statement.
Our team has not won a divisional round game since the 1995 season, January of 1996.
My next milestone for this organisation is to reach the championship game and have the opportunity to get to a SB.
Getting the number 1 seed means we only have to win one playoff game. I would love to get that slot.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Here’s an interesting fact: In the last ten years, the team earning the #1 NFC seed in the playoffs has only won the SB two times. Three other times the NFC’s #1 seed has made it to the SB and lost. So 50% of the time the last decade an NFC #1 seed has made it to a SB. Only 20% of the time has that team won a Lombardi.

Here are the NFC #1 seeds the last decade and how they fared:
  • 2012- Atlanta was the #1 NFC seed- they lost in the NFC championship game to SF.
  • 2013- Seattle was #1 NFC seed and won the SB.
  • 2014- Seattle was #1 NFC seed- won NFC championship but lost SB to New England.
  • 2015- Carolina was the #1 NFC seed- won NFC championship but lost SB to Denver.
  • 2016- Dallas was #1 NFC seed- lost in divisional round to #4 seed GB.
  • 2017- Filly was NFC #1 seed and won the SB.
  • 2018- New Orleans was #1 seed in NFC- lost in NFC championship to #2 seed rams.
  • 2019- SF was the #1 NFC seed and won NFC championship but lost SB to KC.
  • 2020- GB was #1 NFC seed- lost in the NFC championship game to eventual SB champ Tampa Bay who was the #5 seed.
  • 2021- GB again had top seed but lost in divisional round to #5 seed SF.
Sure it would be nice to get the #1 seed in the NFC playoffs this year. We still have a shot. But having it doesn’t mean as much as we used to think.
Nice job compiling this info.

My take from this is 6 of 10 made it to Super Bowl . 2 only made it to Championship game .

Thats 8 out 10 or 80% that at least made it to championship game . That’s a very impressive stat revealing how important the #1 seed is to advance for an opportunity to make it to SB.

I’m guessing no other seed made it to as many championship games or Super Bowls.

pansophy

Reaction score
It hasn't. I think there's a few factors in why this is the case.

I think a first round bye hurts more than it helps. I'm not saying I don't want it because it means you get home field throughout the playoffs. Who wouldn't want that?

But the Cowboys are hot right now as is the 49ers and Philly. To kill that with a week of not playing I just think hurts more than helps.

Only thing that sucks though is playing Brady in the Wild Card game at his house.....scary thought though this team shouldn't be.
I can't remember the last time, if ever, Dak has looked sharp after rest. Not playing Dak in the preseason was a mistake. He always needs game reps. We definitely don't want the bye week.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice job compiling this info.

My take from this is 6 of 10 made it to Super Bowl . 2 only made it to Championship game .

Thats 8 out 10 or 80% that at least made it to championship game . That’s a very impressive stat revealing how important the #1 seed is to advance for an opportunity to make it to SB.

I’m guessing no other seed made it to as many championship games or Super Bowls.
Actually only 5 made it to the SB.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think what you're remembering, as do I, are better, more stacked number 1 and 2 seeds. But even the ones we have now don't seem to have a problem. Lets look at the last 10 years.

2012-- N/A
2018-- N/A
2021-- N/A

That's more number 1 seed success than in any other 10 year span. In fact, from 1975 to 2011 two number 1 seeds met in the SB 9 times. We saw it happen 4 times in the last decade.
Again, the OP was about the NFC #1 seeds in the last ten years. Including the AFC, it’s a completely different story. One of the things I was trying to point out is that the last decade, the NFC has been pretty open to other teams besides the #1 seed winning the SB.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would still rather have to play only 2 games to get to the SB than have to play 3. Either way the road to the SB is still a tough one

EversonIWasAYoungBoy

Reaction score
I've been saying this the last couple weeks. Normally the team that dominates the regular season is not the best team in the league. That's why I'm still skeptical of the Eagles. They remind me too much of 2016 and 2021 Dallas Cowboys.
The Eagles remind me of the 2017 Eagles.

Having a completely surprising season and winning with a QB that everyone thought sucked.

They are a Hurts injury away from Minshew winning them a SB

Reid1boys

Reaction score

2012-- N/A
2018-- N/A
2021-- N/A

I specifically said 1 and 2 seeds. My guess is in the 70s and 80s the number of 1 and 2s in the SB were more than. I remember forever hearing how the Raiders are the ONY wildcard team to ever reach the SB, like it was some spectacular accomplishment. We dont flinch when it happens today.