Last Night Was The Tale Of Two Organizations With Completely Different Mindsets

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Well, even with how totally awesome the Eagles are they still barely beat the Cowboys who had their backup QB. I swear, some of you people are pathetic. They can't win every game.
Do "barely" 2 score wins not count or something?

I don't expect the Cowboys to win every game.

But, it's been 26 years of nothing in Dallas. At what point should we expect an actual winning product?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
That's what this front office will choose to believe, and maybe it will be proven to be true. There's several positions that have turned out better than I expected so far this year through the draft and cheap FA method, but I agree with the OP that a few strategic moves to supplement that could put us over the top.

I don't know how things will end up for the Eagles, but I certainly can't say trying to fix their problems has hurt them. If their fixes happen to get them back to the Super Bowl while we fall short, maybe that will be the trigger the Joneses to understand that you need to use all areas of player acquisition.
The Eagles are a good team. Howie has done a good job. It will be interesting to see them play from behind though.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
I’m willing to listen. I’ll ask you since Sydia won’t. Are you ok with his piss poor drafts? I will say this for him he does a good job of sucking then getting out of sucking….he stole a draft pick for Wentz.
GM'ing is drafting, managing the salary cap, and using free agency to plug gaps in the roster. We draft better overall, but Howie did get Cox (who we should have had instead of Clairborne), Ertz, Goedart, Johnson, Kelce, Dickerson, and thought that a oversized rugby player named Mailata was worth sending the O-line coach to take a look and get him to the IPPP in Tampa. He also hired the coach who led them to a Super Bowl, and made sure they had a competent backup to Wentz. His free agent signings and trade have been excellent for the most part. So while we draft better overall, they handle free agency and trades better.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
But, it's been 26 years of nothing in Dallas.

I've been a fan since around 1969 so yeah, I know what the hell is going on. This is a team without a quality QB and until that is fixed nothing will change. I used to hold out hope that once the grim reaper takes JJ we'll finally have a chance, but he seems to be immortal so I have to find hope elsewhere.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The Eagles spent the offseason signing and trading to get better coming off a playoff berth in 2021. Sometimes that strategy works and sometimes it doesn't, but they are sitting at 6-0 right now, so we can only assume that their plan is paying off. The Eagles have had success doing this in the past and have a Super Bowl in 2017 to show for it.

The Cowboys hardly ever do any major signings or trades during the offseason and instead chose to try and fill needs in the draft, with cheap free agents, or plug and play guys that have been on the roster as backups in the past. We went 12-5 last year and instead of trying to build on that success by adding talent, we get rid of talent and deplete the roster and don't replace it with better or equal talent.

The game last night looked like a team that tried to get better and made it a priority going up against a team that didn't make the effort required to improve. Cooper Rush can be blamed until you're blue in the face, and yes he was horrible, but Cooper Rush even playing is just another example of the Cowboys organization not trying to improve a position of need and sticking with a guy their familiar with instead.

But we were good enough to get 4 wins with a backup, cheap vets, and a young team!

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I've been a fan since around 1969 so yeah, I know what the hell is going on. This is a team without a quality QB and until that is fixed nothing will change. I used to hold out hope that once the grim reaper takes JJ we'll finally have a chance, but he seems to be immortal so I have to find hope elsewhere.
I agree with you 100% that we are without a quality QB.

I don't believe Jerry being gone will change anything though as his doofus son seems to be even worse.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The Eagles are a good team. Howie has done a good job. It will be interesting to see them play from behind though.

Yeah, we'll see how it goes. It's hard to say six games into a season how things are going to turn out.

I don't expect the Jerry/Stephen method to get us to a Super Bowl, though, since there isn't any evidence that it can. Of course, most of the years using their method of cheap free agency signings came with Garrett as coach, so we're trying it with a different coach. But I'm at a believe it when I see it stage of my fanship.

fansince68

Reaction score
The Eagles spent the offseason signing and trading to get better coming off a playoff berth in 2021. Sometimes that strategy works and sometimes it doesn't, but they are sitting at 6-0 right now, so we can only assume that their plan is paying off. The Eagles have had success doing this in the past and have a Super Bowl in 2017 to show for it.

The Cowboys hardly ever do any major signings or trades during the offseason and instead chose to try and fill needs in the draft, with cheap free agents, or plug and play guys that have been on the roster as backups in the past. We went 12-5 last year and instead of trying to build on that success by adding talent, we get rid of talent and deplete the roster and don't replace it with better or equal talent.

The game last night looked like a team that tried to get better and made it a priority going up against a team that didn't make the effort required to improve. Cooper Rush can be blamed until you're blue in the face, and yes he was horrible, but Cooper Rush even playing is just another example of the Cowboys organization not trying to improve a position of need and sticking with a guy their familiar with instead.
Excellent post

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
His drafts aren't good but it's not like he hasn't picked any good players. And for all the bad drafts he's apparently had, the Eagles have basically the same results as we do since their SB. So what does that say about Jerry's drafts?
We know the Cowboys lack of success isn’t about talent or their drafts…

ChrisL97

Reaction score
AJ Brown and Darious Slay were the difference in that game. Two massive free agents.

Maybe the Jones dont spend because they just dont have as much money as we think they do.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
LOL. Now it's a fluke.

I mean at this point you are just floundering.

You keep saying draft this and draft that but if the results don't translate on the field, what good are the drafts? Since the SB, the Eagles have apparently drafted terribly and we've been good. And yet the results on the field aren't different.

Jerry Jones the GM is the biggest reason this team has wandered aimlessly since the mid 90s.
I’d argue Jerry the owner is why we haven’t done anything since the 90s…

But this is the difference between me and you. I admit Jerry and Roseman aren’t very good at their jobs. You think Roseman is actually good and even admit he sucks at the draft.

As far as their SB goes of course it was a fluke even Eagles fans will admit that. The Eagles got rid of their SB team and coach eight afterwards….that spells fluke.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I agree the cowboys are too frugal in free agency. There’s a happy medium. Tough time to knock the cowboys front office imo though.

they drafted parsons, drafted diggs, Tyler smith is flourishing, 2 rookie tight ends have made Schultz expendable, dorrance Armstrong is balling, Donovan Wilson looks promising, the back up quarterback who everyone said sucked just won4 games and the kicker everyone *****ed about has been very good. Barr has been solid.

do need to get more aggressive in free agency however.