Latest Cowboy rumor

cowboys1985

Reaction score
Which just shows the complete disconnect between the front office and this coaching staff. Might as well just fire Garrett and crew right now....and save the fans the #$%% show the 2016-17 season is going to be.:rolleyes:

Or it could mean that coaching staff have differing opinions than the scouting department. Disagreement and debate is what you need when you come to a high profile pick like this. Much rather prefer this than yes-men.

kazzd58

Reaction score
Interesting that you would bring up no QB and WR and use that as evidence to claim the defense was better than we think but then ignore the fact that on the other side of the ball, this OL turned a bum TB into a 1,000 yard rusher when there was no threat from your QB or WRs over that stretch.

I mean if we are going to be using the QB and WR missing time in this analysis, let's do it all around. If one is to conclude that the defense will be better when Romo and Bryant are back and totally healthy, is it a stretch to think that with Romo and Bryant back the running game will also be that much better and therefore, we don't necessarily need to take Elliott?

Here's the reality. QB or no QB the defense has some pretty big holes. They don't cover well and they don't rush the passer well. And if you can't do at least one of those things, in today's NFL, you aren't going to likely do well in the postseason.............. you can think that somehow Zeke Elliott is the perfect blend of Zeus, Jesus Christ and Eric Dickerson rolled into one tailback and can cover all that up but I think that's pretty lofty thinking.

so you are gonna depend on Mcfadden to last a whole season idk about morris yet long term all on 1 yr deals obviously its what they think in the long run anyway? our oline had to adjust to Mcfadden so to me the oline is really being held back? but good luck with that

jday

Reaction score
The Cowboys of the 90s won because they had a COMPLETE team. They didn't win SBs because they had a great TB and a great OL that covered up for shortcomings in other areas of their team. So people should really stop using the 90s Cowboys as the blueprint here and trying to compare an Ezekiel Elliott led Cowboys in 2016 to them. They are nothing alike. And the 2014 team? They weren't good enough to win a SB, even with a dominant run game. Why? Because their defense wasn't good enough to win a SB.

You've spent resources in building the best OL in football that turned a 3rd round pick into the league's leading rusher and then took a bum in McFadden and turned him into a 1,000 yard rusher in essentially 12 games with no passing threat whatsoever. Pretty strong evidence that you can put forth a very good running game without having to invest a prime pick in a TB.

The wise move is to continue to try to build up the defense with prime assets because that's the road that makes this a super bowl team, not taking a TB that probably won't be as dominant as you think and can't cover up defensive holes when you get into the playoffs and face great teams.

Are you certain your memory of the 90's Cowboys is accurate. Honestly, up until a few years ago when I watched some of the games from that era, I thought the same thing - the 90's team was dominant in all aspects. But truth is, that really isn't the case at all. Memory can be tricky. You remember being wrapped up in the awesomeness of that team, but truth be told at many positions they had marginal talent with a few Super Stars on both sides of the ball.

So like the analogy above involving the clown fish and the anenome, that same relationship can be found across a team - a good defensive line helps pass defense, a good secondary can create sacks, a good linebacker crew helps both units respectively. Take a closer look at that 90's team roster, though. Sure, they had some excellent players, no doubt about that. But they also had fringe talent that benefited quite a bit from their surroundings. Furthermore, it is also important to note that the parity football enjoys today was not quite the same in the 90's. Every year it was pretty much the same teams in the running for the championship; now that landscape changes from one season to the next.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that drafting Zeke will propell the Cowboys into the Super Bowl in 2016. In fact, I seriously doubt it for the same reason you are leaning towards drafting defense. But, I do believe draft Zeke will help the defense more than any other defensive player that is available.

Romotil45

Reaction score
Problem is, I don't think anyone is on the hot seat. I think Garrett could go 1-15 with Romo playing all the games and still have a job in 2017.

I don't know about that but I do know with Romo's window its prob best not to change systems so I would say Garrett is fairly safe. They might bring in a new OC to work within Garrett's existing system though.

Romotil45

Reaction score
It's not an unofficial rule. It's just paying attention to the words Jones has used and the actions they have taken in the last two years. People can ignore it and try to spin it however they want but the Cowboys through words and actions have been pretty clear that given the assets they've spent on the OL, they feel they don't need to invest heavily in the RB position and do not want to tie up a lot of money in the RB position.

It's not some unwritten rule or some philosophy shared by all front offices in football. It's what the Cowboys have said and one for two years now. In taking Elliott, again argue all you want, they would be making a pretty clear statement that they think what they thought 2 years ago (and even this free agent period) was wrong and now they have a different philosophy.

Yes and in the past we would all say its just Jerry being Jerry. But Stephen has evened things out lately. If we have a sudden change in philosophy I will just assume its just Jerry being Jerry again. Lets be honest with ourselves. How many carries is Zeke going to get ? Are we really going to give Zeke the same load Murry had ? If so he will be done in 4 yrs if not sooner. No even AP get that many carries. How many more yrs per carry will Zeke average over McFadden and Morris. How many more yrs per carry would it take to be worth taking him at 4 ? I love Zeke I really do. I would support a trade back to try and get him but taking him at 4 is near to maddness.

Romotil45

Reaction score
I've seen this argument parroted throughout the zone just about everywhere the Zeke conversation comes up. And personally I think it is a ridiculous way to argue against taking him. The NFL is not a comparison contest. We don't line up all running backs and put them through drills to win games. The question is what that particular player would mean to the particular team that drafts him. Zeke would be an awesome fit. Sure I like Gurley and Fournette. Who doesn't. I'm sure they too would have success here. But they aren't options to us. The real question is how Zeke compares to everyone else available in this year draft when the Cowboys are on the clock and moreover what type of impact he will have for the team that drafts him. Behind the Cowboys offensive line, Zeke would be a monster. Explain to me how 1 player on defense helps the whole team like Zeke.

Maybe its just me but I don't get it. Someone please tell me how many carries they expect Zeke to shoulder ? Is he going to take the same number of carries each year that Murry took in 2014 ? If so how many years do you think he can carry that kind of load. How many more yrs per carry will he average over the combination of McFadden and Morris have over their careers ? I love Zeke but I just don't get it he is not AP. And too be honest I'm not even sure AP is worth a top five pick.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
This not surprising. During our first 4 games, we are without Gregory, Tank, and Hardy (?). TOP will be CRUCIAL for us during this stretch. In 2014, controlling TOP kept Marinelli's Rushmen pretty fresh for the most part.

Until our defense is whole again, I'd like to see a run/pass mix of 60/40. We can do that and be balanced with a bell cow RB toting the rock.

If they do draft Ramsey, and pick up the Heisman Trophy winner, I wouldn't be mad. If Ramsey is gone, I want our best RB prospect since Emmit running behind the Great Wall of Dallas 2.0.

Sydla

Reaction score
so you are gonna depend on Mcfadden to last a whole season idk about morris yet long term all on 1 yr deals obviously its what they think in the long run anyway? our oline had to adjust to Mcfadden so to me the oline is really being held back? but good luck with that

I am going to roll with McFadden, Morris and a mid round back and use my prime picks to get better in other areas. Absolutely.

Maybe even trade down and try to grab Lynch if I can.

Sydla

Reaction score
Are you certain your memory of the 90's Cowboys is accurate. Honestly, up until a few years ago when I watched some of the games from that era, I thought the same thing - the 90's team was dominant in all aspects. But truth is, that really isn't the case at all. Memory can be tricky. You remember being wrapped up in the awesomeness of that team, but truth be told at many positions they had marginal talent with a few Super Stars on both sides of the ball.

So like the analogy above involving the clown fish and the anenome, that same relationship can be found across a team - a good defensive line helps pass defense, a good secondary can create sacks, a good linebacker crew helps both units respectively. Take a closer look at that 90's team roster, though. Sure, they had some excellent players, no doubt about that. But they also had fringe talent that benefited quite a bit from their surroundings. Furthermore, it is also important to note that the parity football enjoys today was not quite the same in the 90's. Every year it was pretty much the same teams in the running for the championship; now that landscape changes from one season to the next.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that drafting Zeke will propell the Cowboys into the Super Bowl in 2016. In fact, I seriously doubt it for the same reason you are leaning towards drafting defense. But, I do believe draft Zeke will help the defense more than any other defensive player that is available.

LOL. The Super Bowl teams had good talent on both sides of the ball. In the three SB years of 92, 93 and 95 their defenses were ranked 5th, 2nd and 3rd in points per game. You don't do that without talent on defense.

So any notion that those Cowboys teams were a run based team that covered up a bunch of defensive shortcomings is beyond laughable.

Those defenses had talent...... Haley, Norton, Maryland, Woodson, Lett, Deion (95), etc.

And no, a rookie TB is not important to a defense than an actual player who plays defense. This hyperbole stuff is too funny.

Last edited:

CIWhitefish

Reaction score

100% agree..especially your last sentence. I believe drafting Zeke in the first and D after that is a better recipe then drafting any player on D in the first and RB later.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
If they do take him that makes 6 of our last 8 first round picks going for offense, one of them a running back. That means we've come full circle on RB and haven't used a single first round pick on the front seven of the defense.

With the defense in total disarray...I wonder if the Cowboys load up on offense to be awesome on at least one side of the ball. The defense has been a mess for years....only hope is to win with Offense?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Maybe I am just sour at the moment, but I am all in on going offense in the first and second round and I want Tunsil and Henry. Dallas can't seem to draft quality defensive players, but it looks like they can figure out O-line. Henry is a RB, but he is about as close to O-line size as one could hope for. They can just run teams over every game and hope that the defense does just enough between getting high on the sideline to get a few stops.

I want my 8-8 to be exciting this year!

jday

Reaction score
LOL. The Super Bowl teams had good talent on both sides of the ball. In the three SB years of 92, 93 and 95 their defenses were ranked 5th, 2nd and 3rd in points per game. You don't do that without talent on defense.

So any notion that those Cowboys teams were a run based team that covered up a bunch of defensive shortcomings is beyond laughable.

Those defenses had talent...... Haley, Norton, Maryland, Woodson, Lett, Deion (95), etc.

And no, a rookie TB is not important to a defense than an actual player who plays defense. This hyperbole stuff is too funny.

I mentioned they had talent...never suggested they didn't. The problem is you only mentioned 6 guys, out of a possible 11. And, yes, I am suggesting that the running game served to cover up certain weaknesses. And now in a football league where you have a cap, you need the running game to do just that more than ever. If you are going to have the type of talent the Cowboys have on the offensive side of the ball you will have to take shortcuts on defense...that's the reality of football in this era.

Sydla

Reaction score
I mentioned they had talent...never suggested they didn't. The problem is you only mentioned 6 guys, out of a possible 11. And, yes, I am suggesting that the running game served to cover up certain weaknesses. And now in a football league where you have a cap, you need the running game to do just that more than ever. If you are going to have the type of talent the Cowboys have on the offensive side of the ball you will have to take shortcuts on defense...that's the reality of football in this era.

Your suggestion is laughable. Those defenses of the SB teams were very, very good and possibly the most underrated and underappreciated parts of those teams. You don't finish Top 5 in PPG all those years without being a very talented, good defense.

To suggest that Emmitt Smith covered up for them, and in fact, they really weren't that good defensively is frankly disrespectful to those teams. You want to believe that to be the case because you can then turn it into some bizarre defense for why Elliott is more important to a defense than actual players who play defense.

manster4ever

Reaction score
I am going to roll with McFadden, Morris and a mid round back and use my prime picks to get better in other areas. Absolutely.

Maybe even trade down and try to grab COOK if I can.

Fixed it for you....Lynch does not compare to Cook what so EVER. Cook much more accomplished and it's not even close.

Verdict

Reaction score
Thats not the point im making..... Obviously Demarco developed into better than a third rd rb hey we hit in 3rd but Zeke s Elite Demarco wasnt Elite coming out of college look at Gurly u seen what he did to Seattle Arizona Rams green Bay those teams you you know those that got those defenses to where if Tony get hit enough he most likely not getting back up anytime soon

having someone like that behind this line and you dont think that can propel us to the Super Bowl this year while maximizing the time Romo has t we have a real shot with Zeke i dont believe in mcfaddon sorry or Morris long term, but Zeke he brings that dog that bite and with Dez dog, that can be lethal but because its #4 its seems to be a problem for "rb" right?? i thought we are hear to win?

btw in my opinion Zeke was and is better than Demarco coming out of college and i think will be better in the NFL as well my opinion

So hey maybe we win the super bowl instead of losing in the Divisional rounds since Romo is going to be our Qb for the next 2-3 years anyway ijs

Murry was a 5 star recruit coming out of high school, and the was the starting RB for one of the most dominant college programs. We had a first round grad on him. The Cowboys were so surprised he was there in the 3rd that they thought they must be missing something. We got lucky with Murray in the same way we got lucky with Witten.

Sydla

Reaction score
Fixed it for you....Lynch does not compare to Cook what so EVER. Cook much more accomplished and it's not even close.

If this franchise trades down and then takes Cook in the first or second round, they are dumber than I ever could have imagined.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in the run game. Just as important as being able to pass the ball. But even I don't want Elliot at 4. RB is just not a premium position. Not unless he's Adrian Peterson, which he's not. And even AP didn't go until pick 7.

QB, LT, CB, DE, WR

We have our LT.
We have our WR.
There isn't a DE worth taking at 4.

That leaves QB and CB. QB being the much harder and much more expensive option to try and find. It doesn't sound like the Cowboys view him as a corner, so that leaves QB or trade down to me.

Lynch would be a reach at 4, but at least it would only be 1 wasted pick. Unlike the Rams or Eagles if either of their guys fail. It all depends on what they plan for Romo. Sounds like they want him around another 4 or 5 years. If that really is the case, then don't waste the number 4 on a gamble. That's not how I would do it. I'd give Romo this year and maybe next and move on. Meaning I may just take a flyer on Lynch at 4.

But they won't do that. Trading down to 10-13 range seems best, pick up an extra second. Then grab a guy like Rankins. This would allow you to move Crawford out to SDE, at least until the boneheads return.