Latest Cowboy rumor

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Because the "formula" that worked in 2014 didn't involve a Top 5 drafted TB running behind this OL.

The "formula" would seem to be build the best OL you can and then you don't have to invest a high value pick in a TB to get high production. This OL turned a 3rd round TB who people weren't sure could be a lead back in Murray into the league's leading rusher. Then the following year, they took a bum in McFadden and turned him into a 1,000 yard rusher in like 12 games and did so without any shred of a passing game with Romo out and Bryant basically useless for most of the year.

The "formula" was invest a ton of assets into building a dominant OL so then you wouldn't have to spend a ton of assets on a TB, a position that the front office believes has a short shelf life. So in taking Elliott at 4, the front office has clearly thrown aside their philosophy and couple that with some of their missteps in free agency and you really wonder if they have a clue how to really build this team. If anything, taking Elliott at 4 smacks of pure panic because they feel their hands are tied.

They are going on twenty years of no identity and change it every couple of years to match whatever team is winning these days..ie 2 TE's like NE, 4-3 like Seattle. Not sure why anyone would be surprised they would take a RB at 4. End of the day, gotta take someone at 4 and it looks like both QB's will be off the board, so it's down to Zeke, Ramsey, Bosa as the war room's favorites. All have warts....but gotta pick someone.

Jenky

Reaction score
So in the past few days I've read we would be dumb to draft with our no4 pick:

A) Bosa- reach on a DE without the quick twitch to be an elite pass rusher. He's good but not a difference maker. We just took Greg Ellis at no4?!

B) Goff/Wentz - take a qb with a no4 pick who is not a generational talent and you already have a high priced qb on your roster. Theres not much of a drop off to Lynch. We are wasting away an opportunity to get an impact player to put you over the top. We were a catch away from the NFC championship game and we drafted a backup?!!

C) Ramsey - You don't win with a secondary, you win in the trenches. He's a S and not even the best CB in the draft. Did we not learn from the Claiborne debacle?!

D) Jack - Aleardy have Lee and Mclain. This guy has big time medical red flags. You can't risk that with the no4 pick. His knee is a ticking time bomb!!

E) Elliot - No way we can take rb at no4. You can take a stud rb later on in the draft. Do we know nothing about value? Even Emmitt Smith said not to take a rb at no4!!

F) Tunsil - We spent way to much resources in our OL. We won't be able to keep it together when they come up for new contracts. Law of diminishing returns. What good does a dominant OL do if we don't have a defense. We need sacks and TOs!!

It must be the final days before draft. The meltdown with whoever we pick is gona be epic. CAN'T WAIT!

Ha, this post is pretty accurate.

I don't mind Ramsey or Elliott at 4. That's assuming both QBs are gone.

Sydla

Reaction score
They are going on twenty years of no identity and change it every couple of years to match whatever team is winning these days..ie 2 TE's like NE, 4-3 like Seattle. Not sure why anyone would be surprised they would take a RB at 4. End of the day, gotta take someone at 4 and it looks like both QB's will be off the board, so it's down to Zeke, Ramsey, Bosa as the war room's favorites. All have warts....but gotta pick someone.

Honestly, I truly believe that if Elliott is picked it's basically because the front office feels they don't have any options or a choice.

And that's not what you really want your front office to be doing with a premium pick.................. basically taking a guy as a last resort because you feel you are boxed in.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Honestly, I truly believe that if Elliott is picked it's basically because the front office feels they don't have any options or a choice.

And that's not what you really want your front office to be doing with a premium pick.................. basically taking a guy as a last resort because you feel you are boxed in.

Or maybe he's bpa. That's a very real possibility, you know.

Sydla

Reaction score
FWIW, the order of preference for me would be:

1) Wentz
2) Goff
3) Trade down
4) Ramsey
5) Tunsil
6) Elliott
7) Bosa
8) Buckner

But my fear is that we are going to be stuck choosing between my last 3 options.

Jenky

Reaction score

They can also feel he's the BPA

I was going to bring that up, but he'll say Tunsil or Ramsey were rated higher by other teams..

Sydla

Reaction score

Maybe he is but it would seem that if we are believing this rumor............ he's not bpa according to front office.............. that would be Bosa and Ramsey.

Further, taking Elliott at 4 basically calls into question the thinking of the front office over the past two years when they refused to pay TBs any money because of their philosophy on TBs.

To me, that's the bigger story here if they take Elliott. That they clearly just have a haphazard way of trying to salvage Romo's last few years.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Our identity was ball control and we were doing that when Romo was healthy last year.

We want the ball and we can do that without a 1st round RB but not without a QB.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Maybe he is but it would seem that if we are believing this rumor............ he's not bpa according to front office.............. that would be Bosa and Ramsey.

Further, taking Elliott at 4 basically calls into question the thinking of the front office over the past two years when they refused to pay TBs any money because of their philosophy on TBs.

To me, that's the bigger story here if they take Elliott. That they clearly just have a haphazard way of trying to salvage Romo's last few years.

Patriots changed their philosophy on signing high priced free agents (Revis). Only fools stay stick on some unwritten code and never change. Elliot has nothing to do with Murray. One is young and rising while the other is aging and declining.

Sydla

Reaction score
And someone brought up a good point.

Which is more likely to help build a better overall team to win a SB in the next 3-4 years?

1) Taking Elliott and using the 4th pick

or

2) Signing Miller and then still having the 4th pick to address other areas

Seems to me, the second option is better. If this team were one TB away from being a legit SB contender, I'd probably think differently. But they are not. Therefore, investing the 4th pick AND $25MM in guaranteed money on a TB doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some have answered it. And it goes something like how Miller can't hold Elliott's jock. Elliott is the greatest runner ever. He's going to run for 2,000 yards every single year behind this OL.

Yeah, wouldn't call that an 'answer' of any relevance. More like a hot, steaming load of bull****.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Our identity was ball control and we were doing that when Romo was healthy last year.

We want the ball and we can do that without a 1st round RB but not without a QB.

You're one of the trade up people have? Lol we draft wentz and Romo gets hurt Wentz will get embarrassed. no playoffs again. Wentz is for 2017 and beyond not for 2016. In 2016 he'd be no different than jacoby brissett

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
It is sounding like Polian knew what he was taking about when he said the Cowboys will draft EE and will not look back if they do not trade down.

After reading through this thread to this point, if it weren't for the real life ramifications to my football team I would root for EE at 4 just to see the reaction of a few on this site...that would be comedic gold.

Sydla

Reaction score
You're one of the trade up people have? Lol we draft wentz and Romo gets hurt Wentz will get embarrassed. no playoffs again. Wentz is for 2017 and beyond not for 2016. In 2016 he'd be no different than jacoby brissett

Well no duh that Wentz or any QB for that matter is not for 2016.

That's the whole point.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
After reading through this thread to this point, if it weren't for the real life ramifications to my football team I would root for EE at 4 just to see the reaction of a few on this site...that would be comedic gold.

It's going to be a fun chat room....but it always is.:)

LandryFan

Reaction score
What would be a success for a DL at 4? Would anything less than 20 sacks a season be a failure?

I was wondering the same...6000 yds, 60 TD's, 80% completion rate for a rookie QB? Why not. Sounds reasonable...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Big picture...

Also, I think Wentz gives us a way better chance to win than most guys because he can extend plays and run.

Our run game + the element of his running would do a hell of a lot better than the 1-11 garbage we trotted out there last season.

Sydla

Reaction score
Patriots changed their philosophy on signing high priced free agents (Revis). Only fools stay stick on some unwritten code and never change. Elliot has nothing to do with Murray. One is young and rising while the other is aging and declining.

That's a myth. The Patriots didn't often dip into the high priced free agent pool because they often were near the top of their cap anyway. But they did take on Randy Moss and his huge contract (and Brady had to restructure his deal to fit Moss under the cap) in a trade. So the notion that they stayed away from high priced players until Revis isn't exactly accurate.

Constantly changing your philosophies is what this franchise seems to have done and what do they have to show for it? 20+ years of ineptitude.

If the Cowboys take Elliott at 4, I think it really calls into question if the front office really has an idea on how to build this roster other than just throwing darts at a board.

LandryFan

Reaction score
Big picture...

Also, I think Wentz gives us a way better chance to win than most guys because he can extend plays and run.

Our run game + the element of his running would do a hell of a lot better than the 1-11 garbage we trotted out there last season.
Don't know if it would do a "lot better", but it sure as hell couldn't be much worse...