Signed by Cowboys Lawrence contract extended

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Was really hoping to get rid of the Hot Boy mentality. Oh well...if you can't get rid of them, embrace them. HOT BOYZZ 2: We do the "little things" you don't see".

NotForLong

Reaction score
Gonna say it....This is as big as when Jimmy traded for Charles Haley. The best is yet to come!!!!
A glimmer of hope . . . All we have to do is get Wagner to bring some swag and leadership to the team. . . Championship

NotForLong

Reaction score
I have to admit, Dlaw actually did us a solid as this is a pseudo pay cut hidden inside an extension.

Dlaw had $40 mill and 2 yrs left on his deal, none of it guaranteed. The Cowboys added an additional year to the deal, but kept the same $40 mill and in exchange for doing this, they made $30 mill of the remaining $40 mill guaranteed.

It really is a win-win for both parties.
Genius. . . this may be the new NFL standard

NotForLong

Reaction score
Good deal really. Also makes DE not as pressing as an issue in April.
True . . . I am a little Squimish on the WR position but now I am a Little rest assured at DE knowing full well that Cooper and Lawrence were luxuries at those prices.

Sign Kearse, Gregory and add in Wagner and a run stuffing DT and this defense may be at the level to carry us to a championship

This is a great signing for that reason . . . Now the Cowboys can address the O Line in the Draft

NotForLong

Reaction score

I am confused:huh:
The report says base salary of 2022 is 3 million plus a spread out signing bonus of 12 million . . . Which should bring the base salary of 2022 to 6 million. . . where is he getting the 14 million from?

And 2023 should be 18 million and He is reporting 26 million

Am I missing something

He is adding 11 million every year for the signing bonus . . . How much is the signing bonus?

Majic

Reaction score
I am confused:huh:
The report says base salary of 2022 is 3 million plus a spread out signing bonus of 12 million . . . Which should bring the base salary of 2022 to 6 million. . . where is he getting the 14 million from?

And 2023 should be 18 million and He is reporting 26 million

Am I missing something

He is adding 11 million every year for the signing bonus . . . How much is the signing bonus?

I don't quite understand this either. This seems to be a 2 year deal. If we cut Lawrence at the end of next year he will count 23 million against the cap or 12.5 million against the 2023 cap and 12.5 million against the 24 cap(post june 1 cut) If he stays until the end of the 23 season his cap hit if cut would drop to just 4 million.

Cowboys are gambling on 2 years of high level production. If he has a poor year in 2022 and Cowboys want to cut him they are in the same kind of position in terms of cap hit than what they were before he signed the new deal.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm confused as well I don't recall seeing a guy who had Lawrence's contract just up and sign a 3 year 30 million dollar deal....he had a few years left on his deal didn't he?

Yes, he had 2 years left, and the 3 year deal he signed replaced his remaining 2 years, and added one. So technically it was a rarely seen contract renegotiation that added a year.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I don't quite understand this either. This seems to be a 2 year deal. If we cut Lawrence at the end of next year he will count 23 million against the cap or 12.5 million against the 2023 cap and 12.5 million against the 24 cap(post june 1 cut) If he stays until the end of the 23 season his cap hit if cut would drop to just 4 million.

Cowboys are gambling on 2 years of high level production. If he has a poor year in 2022 and Cowboys want to cut him they are in the same kind of position in terms of cap hit than what they were before he signed the new deal.
Yeah . . . maybe but i am still confused with the numbers Archer is reporting

2022 14 million
2023 26 million
2024 16 million

That's 56 million

It should be
2022 6 million
2023 18 million
2024 13 million - 16 million

plymkr

Reaction score
Celebrating the saved cap space this year is nice…locking into that 26 mil guaranteed next year is crazy and totally not worth it.
Yeah I agree that'll be a tough pill to swallow but it looks like after 2023 his cap number will be manageable and after 2024 we can cut him with little loss. Why I feel that is a pill I'm willing to swallow cuz a manageable 2024 and beyond means we will be free of deam money and more likely to resign Diggs and Parsons. If I understand it correctly. Not gonna lie some of you guys are better with the salaries than I am so if I'm wrong let me know.

NotForLong

Reaction score

Yes they are gambling . . . and I think they are going all in on Wagner by creating this space this year

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Much better than what he was set to make before but I have seen D Flaw after he pockets a massive signing bonus and it ain't pretty.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm confused. Does this mean he has 3 additional years added to his pre-existing contract that guarantees him 10 million per year? Or did he agree for 10 million a year for the next 3 years?
What this means is when it comes time to pay Micah Parsons, they won't be able to do it.