LB Carpenter's 40-times at Pro Day were ..

Woods

Reaction score
VACowboy said:
I like Carpenter a lot. He's a 6-3, 255 lb. athletic guy who can play 4 LB positions as well as DE. And he can cover. I have to say, I like Wimbley more and more, the more I learn about him.

It seems for now that Carpenter, Wimbley, and Lawson are closely bunched together (as potential 3-4 LBs go).

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Woods said:
It seems for now that Carpenter, Wimbley, and Lawson are closely bunched together (as potential 3-4 LBs go).

I think so too. I like them in this order... at least as of right now, lol.

Lawson
Carpenter
Wimbley

Wimbley being tentative from his injury makes me hesitate... but Carpenter may be the same way when he finally start to have contact after his injury.

I do have a hunch that Parcells would like Carpenter best of the three because of his pedigree and his attitude.

Woods

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I think so too. I like them in this order... at least as of right now, lol.

Lawson
Carpenter
Wimbley

Wimbley being tentative from his injury makes me hesitate... but Carpenter may be the same way when he finally start to have contact after his injury.

I do have a hunch that Parcells would like Carpenter best of the three because of his pedigree and his attitude.

I like them exactly the way you've ranked them.

I'm not sure how Carpenter's injury would impact BP. On one hand, it's not career threatening, but on the other, as you mentioned, is he going to require more time to get up to speed than say a healthy Lawson?

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised that nobody seems to be talking about Tamba Hali , Mathias Kiwanuka , Chad Greenway , or Ernie Simms . There is a very good chance one if not a couple of these guys will fall to #18 . Nearly every draft board I've seen has these 4 guys ranked above B. Carpenter , K. Wimbley , and M. Lawson . I really like these 3 guys , and would love to see one become a Cowboy , but I think the list above should be seriously considered too .

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT said:
I'm a little surprised that nobody seems to be talking about Tamba Hali , Mathias Kiwanuka , Chad Greenway , or Ernie Simms . There is a very good chance one if not a couple of these guys will fall to #18 . Nearly every draft board I've seen has these 4 guys ranked above B. Carpenter , K. Wimbley , and M. Lawson . I really like these 3 guys , and would love to see one become a Cowboy , but I think the list above should be seriously considered too .

I think Greenway is overrated and a poor fit for the 3-4.

I think Kiwi is a poor fit as a 3-4 SOLB as well.

If BP complained about size at OLB last year, I doubt he adds a guy like Sims.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Greenway is not a good fit as a 3-4 SLB. He's a finesse run around blocks guy which won't work in the 3-4.

Carpenter is the most "NFL ready" to perform all the duties of the SOLB. But it would be hard to look past the freakish athletic ability of Lawson.

Right now most agree that OLB is the top priority in this draft, especially if we shore up the OL in FA. But I can smell a trade down. NE is the only team that might grab Carpenter at 21. Otherwise he'll likely be there at the end of round 1, maybe early round 2. I can't see him getting all the way to 48 but stranger things have happened.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
True , but Greenway is also the best pass defending LB in the draft . He excells at dropping into coverage and is also good at getting after the QB . I'm with you on Carpenter and would prefer him , I just feel like Greenway and especially Hali are worth some consideration .

Woods

Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT said:
True , but Greenway is also the best pass defending LB in the draft . He excells at dropping into coverage and is also good at getting after the QB . I'm with you on Carpenter and would prefer him , I just feel like Greenway and especially Hali are worth some consideration .

I know we talked with Hali at the Combine, but I thought he was much more of a "true" DE type and not necessarily a guy who could drop back into coverage,etc.?

MiStar

Reaction score
Hali is worthy of consideration, however it would seem that he is less than enthusiastic about making the switch to linebacker. The others don't have much place in a 3-4. Kiwi might, but I just don't like him as a prospect.

The best 3-4 LB prospects in my opinion are:

AJ Hawk
Mike Kudla
Bobby Carpenter
Chris Gocong
Manny Lawson
Kamerion Wimbley

Kai Parham
Anthony Schlegal

All of the other top linebackers lack either the bulk, strength or the mentality to excell in the 3-4, imo. I'd rather have Schlegal or Parham for the 3-4 than Greenway, Sims, or Kiwanuka.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
OSU FOOTBALL
Carpenter, rest of Buckeyes on the fast track at pro day
Friday, March 10, 2006
Ken Gordon
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

They left shaking their heads in wonder, veteran NFL coaches wowed by Bobby Carpenter’s workout yesterday.

The Ohio State linebacker had a lot at stake at the school’s pro day. He suffered a broken bone in his lower leg against Michigan on Nov. 19, forcing him to miss the Fiesta Bowl and not run at the NFL Combine in February.

So when more than 120 coaches and scouts from at least 25 NFL teams filed into the Woody Hayes Athletic Center yesterday, many of them were curious about Carpenter.

"He looked like he was 100 percent to me," Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. "They said he was about 90 percent, so if he’s got more than that, he’s pretty good."

Told Carpenter was not full strength, Jacksonville Jaguars linebackers coach Mark Duffner said, "Shoot, I thought he looked pretty good."

Carpenter said he was clocked in the high 4.5-second range in the 40-yard dash despite feeling that the leg isn’t quite as strong as it was before the injury.

"It’s tough, I didn’t get as much chance to train as much as I would like to and it’s still not 100 percent," he said. "But I think these guys were pretty impressed. They were saying if I wasn’t 100 percent, they’d like to see what I could do when I’m fully healed. So I was satisfied with what I did."

He wasn’t the only one. No official times were given, but players reported a 40 time that was about .2 to .3 seconds faster than their combine times.

Either the OSU track is unusually fast, the Indianapolis track is unusually slow or it was just a very good day for everyone. Some examples:

• Linebacker A.J. Hawk had Indy times reported between 4.56 and 4.65. His times yesterday were between 4.38 and 4.44.

• Safety Nate Salley at Indy: 4.67 to 4.71. In Columbus: between 4.48 and 4.57. Linebacker Anthony Schlegel at Indy: 4.86 to 4.9. In Columbus: 4.64 to 4.71. Safety Donte Whitner in Indy: 4.45 and 4.46. In Columbus: "low to mid-4.3s."

"Guys are so used to their surroundings and they’re comfortable here," Whitner said. "We’ve been running three or four years (here), so you know they can run fast."

Hawk was one of the few players who managed to avoid talking to reporters. But he, Schlegel and Carpenter impressed LeBeau.

"I think you could take all three of these guys and have a pretty decent set of young professional linebackers," he said.

Holmes was thrilled with his day. He had planned to run at the combine but said he felt overweight (190 pounds) and sick with the flu, so he decided to wait.

It apparently paid off. At 180 yesterday, he said he was clocked between 4.29 and 4.34. That should end doubts about him being the first receiver drafted.

"I’m pretty sure that will keep me extended from the pack," Holmes said.

OSU could have 10 players or more selected in the NFL draft on April 29-30, including at least three first-rounders and possibly five (Hawk, Holmes, Carpenter, Ashton Youboty and Nick Mangold.)

The school record is four first-rounders in 1971 (Tim Anderson, John Brockington, Leo Hayden and Jack Tatum).

Dyluke

Reaction score
I think Carpenter would be a great addition to the defense...i just think you could drop down another 5-8 picks and get a better value for him

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT said:

*Hali - a 4-3 DE that is adverse to playing 3-4
*Kiwi - too small to play 3-4 DE and can't play LB. Schooled at Senior Bowl bad and stock dropping like AnTajj Hawthorne like free fall
* Greenway is an overated LB - Bad combine again not a 3-4 LB who gets drafted likely late 1 to 2nd
* Simms is more ILB