News: LBS: Jaylon Smith addresses reason Cowboys cut him

Blake

Reaction score
Some people said he was an elite player because he was among the league's best in tackles last year. They never mentioned that 90% of the tackles were 7 yards past the line of scrimmage or more.

Stat tracking needs to be adapted to account for where tackles occur relative to the LOS

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Good ole Jaylon still wanting that attention w/social media. Always has to have the last word. Cowboys Nation wanted him gone simply because he wasn't living up to his play after his pay.

Good riddance. Glad he's gone!

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
In truth, this article really didn't say anything that we didn't already know.

Easy to see that Jaylon is an egomaniac by his 'elite' response. Also, because he was not willing to give up the $9M guarantee to stay with the team even though he would have probably made more money with the Cowboys than any other team.

Jaylon did not want to be part of a team where he had a very reduced role. All about pride. Jaylon couldn't stomach the team winning with him not playing. Nothing to do with 'elite' and everything to do with ego.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I didn't click on the link. I assume it just said "Because I stink"

conner01

Reaction score
Yes they didn't want to pay that guarantee, but why?.....
Because we had better and cheaper options
He may think he’s elite and I have no issue with a guy who has confidence
But I don’t think he’s elite and b no either did the packets based on his contract with them

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Jaylen, you can spin it any way you want, but the truth of the matter in the Cowboys are paying you millions to play AGAINST them. That's what the Cowboys think of you, they're willing to eat millions just to see YOU go away. Yeah you're an ELITE athlete alright, a LEGEND in your own mind...............

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My thinking is they were going to greatly reduce his playing time and/or possibly deactivate him with other players returning and because of his past injuries, he could have possibly said he was injured as the reason for the demotion which would have locked them into to next year's salary.

I am not saying he would have done that, but rather they likely went proactive just on the off chance he (or his agent) took that route when his playing time was reduced or he was deactivated for a game.

This combined with likely already knowing they were not going to bring him back next year made the decision to address it now more feasible and relevant.

Again, this is just my thoughts.
Of course, add to that the possibility that he actually does get injured one of those times he gets thrown to the ground.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with being confident. This is the NFL for crying out loud. I don't agree that he's elite, but on paper he's a baller. Former pro bowler with 3 straight seasons of 100+ tackles.

The reason why he is being lampooned, and will be for quite a while on his clearly ridiculous statement that shows he has very little self awareness is he was lready being shopped around by the team early on.

He is not elite. What you do in the past is not how you should be rated for the tape you put in the present or any reasonable indication of what you will do in the future.

That's not how you run a sports team, a business or a large organization. What you see is what you are getting, and you have to make good fundamentally sounds management decisions based on what is in front of your eyes.

He is not elite. He is not the best LB on the team, nor is he one of the top LBs. Tackling is not a very good metric in terms of what makes an elite LB. (Eugene Lockhart for those who have so conveniently forgotten waht a bad defence looks like.) Let's all be frank here if we took all of the Dallas linebackers and made them run competitive drills on footwork, reaction time, change of direction and we timed their perfomance I would have expected jaylon to be at the bottom of the unit in terms of timed performance.

As fans you can't be gushing about Parson and not realize that the reason why he is looking so good on tape is not because he has veteran experience to diagnose and understand plays. The real reason why he looks so good is because of his recovery speed. That is elite. Way more elite than Jaylon. Parsons makes plays because he gets to the target fast. Even as an inexperienced rookie.

Jaylon doesn't make plays because even with veteran experience he can't get to the target or to a spot on or ahead of time.

The elite train has left the station for him. We can hope for the best for him, but his physical skills are diminished, and I wonder if there is increasing problems with the drop foot that are resulting in the tape we are seeing.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You won't hear one person that actually had interactions with jaylon day a single negative word about him. You guys just suck.

What are they supposed to say?

They know the deal. You either say how great a payer is, miss him...or you just keep your mouth shut. They know any time it will be them.

You're telling me you don't see Jaylon lost in space, getting blocked like a wet sheet, piling on players already tackled?

That ain't sucking it's fact.

Your virtue signaling is impressive.

glimmerman

Reaction score
What are they supposed to say?

They know the deal. You either say how great a payer is, miss him...or you just keep your mouth shut. They know any time it will be them.

You're telling me you don't see Jaylon lost in space, getting blocked like a wet sheet, piling on players already tackled?

That ain't sucking it's fact.

Your virtue signaling is impressive.
I see him limp running faster than anyone I ever saw. Watch him run down hurts in the egirls game. I have never seen that before. Is he still wearing the brace that lifts his foot for him. He had to chase people..

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Lol someone said he's the real life Kenny Powers. Completely unaware of any issues he may have on the football field. Jaylon probably thinks he just made GB superbowl favorites.

I love believing in one's self, but there is a line between self confidence and arrogance.

He's not arrogant at all. Arrogance is being good and knowing it.

He's delusional.