News: LBS: Jaylon Smith addresses reason Cowboys cut him

Batman1980

Reaction score
I don't say elite, I use other words. I've been at my current job for almost 8.5 months but I think I'm already one of the best. Helps that my motor runs harder than most people's.

KeepinTime

Reaction score
“Elite”?

wait-what-unbelievable.gif
I like that both Jon Stewart and Robert Downey Jr in your avatar both have the same look.

iamliko22

Reaction score
That confidence is what helped him get past that injury can't fault him for that... But glad the team moved on. Hope he does well there unless it's against this team.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
lmao, they cut him because they didn't want him poisoning the locker room because of his playing time getting cut more and more. The time was right and it was time to end the pity party.

"I was out there outrunning everybody on the field" shut up you gimp, you was out there avoiding contact and jumping on guys back 9 yards downfield. sheesh.
It just seemed like he was outrunning everyone because they were all going in the other direction.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Should he come out and call himself a bum? I wouldn't even if I am a bum. Most are mad that he celebrates prematurely, doesn't get angry during losses, can't break a block to save his life, can't run anymore, he was paid and when he was cut, teams were falling over themselves to pick him up. We're all good and happy now, let's just move on.

Cmac

Reaction score
lol. What do you expect him to say?

Hell, I bet everyone on this forum who reports to someone, tells that someone they are “elite” during annual reviews/whatever.
Question would be.....'Do they get mad because "Joe" got a raise?"

nobody

Reaction score
Jalen has a very high football IQ. They would not have made him the captain. If it wasn’t for the leg injury. He could very possibly still be the best linebacker in the league

I would agree with you, but there is too much film evidence of him completely reading plays wrong and running right out of position to stop a runner or managing to block himself. There's a reason almost all of his tackles are from behind where he has to run them down....and it's not because of a high football IQ.

Kwyn

Reaction score
He didn’t “address the issues”, lol

What a terrible, bottom of three barrel, “article”. Take a tweet, make comments that have been said on 400 other “articles” and put a headline that makes it sound like he’s really dishing on what happened and why

Paradox

Reaction score
The reason why he is being lampooned, and will be for quite a while on his clearly ridiculous statement that shows he has very little self awareness is he was lready being shopped around by the team early on.

He is not elite. What you do in the past is not how you should be rated for the tape you put in the present or any reasonable indication of what you will do in the future.

That's not how you run a sports team, a business or a large organization. What you see is what you are getting, and you have to make good fundamentally sounds management decisions based on what is in front of your eyes.

He is not elite. He is not the best LB on the team, nor is he one of the top LBs. Tackling is not a very good metric in terms of what makes an elite LB. (Eugene Lockhart for those who have so conveniently forgotten waht a bad defence looks like.) Let's all be frank here if we took all of the Dallas linebackers and made them run competitive drills on footwork, reaction time, change of direction and we timed their perfomance I would have expected jaylon to be at the bottom of the unit in terms of timed performance.

As fans you can't be gushing about Parson and not realize that the reason why he is looking so good on tape is not because he has veteran experience to diagnose and understand plays. The real reason why he looks so good is because of his recovery speed. That is elite. Way more elite than Jaylon. Parsons makes plays because he gets to the target fast. Even as an inexperienced rookie.

Jaylon doesn't make plays because even with veteran experience he can't get to the target or to a spot on or ahead of time.

The elite train has left the station for him. We can hope for the best for him, but his physical skills are diminished, and I wonder if there is increasing problems with the drop foot that are resulting in the tape we are seeing.

Feels like you're lashing out at the first sight of what you think is an apologist. I understand he's not a good linebacker. Never said tackling made him or anyone else elite, either. Or that tackling by itself was a good metric to define what elite is. The word used was "baller", and it's very different. And I didn't even say he was that. Just that he could be perceived as that from his numbers.

I agree with you about everything you said. I specifically said I don't agree that he's elite. Why do you keep telling me so many times? Why do you keep telling me so many times? I'd never describe him that way. I'm ecstatic he's gone. Don't be turning me into a swoop sympathizer!

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Elite players don't call themselves elite. They don't have to call themselves anything. Their play speaks for themselves.

Lol…. O rly?

GOAT doing goat things.

This crosses all sports. Elite players refer to themselves as elite.

This isn’t an argument that Jaylon is elite. He’s not. But it’s hardly surprising he would say that to the media when asked. And it’s absolutely not true that elite players refrain from calling themselves elite.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Jaylon sucks. I wish he had gone to a hated rival like WFT, Giants or Eagles. That way I can laugh my butt off when he celebrates a tackle 10 yards down field.

Last edited:

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
Lol…. O rly?

GOAT doing goat things.

This isn’t an argument that Jaylon is elite. He’s not. But it’s hardly surprising he would say that to the media when asked. And it’s absolutely not true that elite players refrain from calling themselves elite.

Well, alrighty then.
Lol…. O rly?

GOAT doing goat things.

I don't follow athlete social media much, so I'm sure you're right. But I'm pretty sure we can agree Jordan is no longer playing at an elite level! :laugh:

DanA

Reaction score
What should he say?

Well, ya know, im not quite where I used to be, so let's just see how it goes in GB. Hopefully I'm good enough to get in on some kickoffs.

How about just saying “I’m the same player I’ve always been, the kind of player that has never crumbled in the face of adversity, that gets back up wand fights no matter what.”

As smart as Jaylon is supposed to be, he’s the one that has created his narrative. Crawford for instance never copped it to the level of Jaylon has and a big part of that was not having a persona of delusional arrogance.