News: LBS: Steve Young has funny reason for disliking 49ers' Trey Lance trade

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The man has PTSD from the Haley trade. Can't say I can fault him for it. If this trade has anywhere close to the impact of bringing Haley in, I think the 49ers fan base will riot.
It was an emotional, rushed trade by the Niners. Ownership and coach had to get rid of him as it was a stark reminder of their failure every day.

JustChip

Reaction score
I like seeing this. I really miss the days when rivalry teams actually hated each other, not just the fans. The Cowboys~Cerise-skins rivalry of the 70s was classic and heightened by Diron Talbert’s hate for the Cowboys and Harvey Martin’s vice-versa.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Steve Mariucci also sounded upset by the trade. Probably not b/c of the Haley trade, but I think both guys saw something in Trey Lance that they REALLY REALLY liked...

or maybe it's because he went to Dallas of all places. haha

(either way, I hope he develops in Dallas)

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Never did like to listen to Young... but i think low key, he does believe Lance has a little ability in him and hates he's with the Cowboys of all teams, and for a freaking 4th round pick only. They know he's young and injuries resulted in first Jimmy G given most of the opportunity and then Purdy after that. So he really had not gotten a fair shot there. Let's see what happens in Dallas.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This may prove to be the biggest trade Jerry's made since Walker, Sanders, Haley.
364 days a year I bag on Jerry, but this may be a good move.
Somebody has to put this guy in a position to excel.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
H-m-m, it seems as though everyone has a different picture of what this move by Jerry actually amounts to.

Maybe it's just a way to see what occurs if Lance helps to see where we stand in competing with the 49ers.

It also may afford the Cowboys an indication of what he might be able to contribute as our QB in the future.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This may prove to be the biggest trade Jerry's made since Walker, Sanders, Haley.
364 days a year I bag on Jerry, but this may be a good move.
Somebody has to put this guy in a position to excel.
It’s an amazing trade.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Never did like to listen to Young... but i think low key, he does believe Lance has a little ability in him and hates he's with the Cowboys of all teams, and for a freaking 4th round pick only. They know he's young and injuries resulted in first Jimmy G given most of the opportunity and then Purdy after that. So he really had not gotten a fair shot there. Let's see what happens in Dallas.
I think it’s realistic to see Lance as QB2 in 2024.

At the least.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It was an emotional, rushed trade by the Niners. Ownership and coach had to get rid of him as it was a stark reminder of their failure every day.
Not a failure.

I don’t know all the 49ers politics though.

They get 11+ mil back in cap.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Another good take from Steve Young on Trey Lance.

Goes into detail about how Lance was pressing with all the pressure on him to succeed. Can tell Steve Young relates to the young man and his situation to prove he is the Niners franchise QB.

Sounds like Steve Young really thinks highly of Trey Lance. Good point about how so many QBs say they finally got the NFL and then they are thrown out of town.

Flamma

Reaction score
The Dude is still butthurt over the losses in '92 and '93. Understandably so. That Haley trade contributed to him forever remaining in Joe Montana's shadow.

He's had a run of bad luck going back to 1990. Montana gets hurt in the NFCCG and Young drives the 49ers right up the field. The game is all but over when Roger Craig fumbles the 1st down carry. If he doesn't fumble, the 49ers most likely go on to beat the Bills. The Giants were the 2nd best team in the NFC.

If not for the Cowboys being so good, the 49ers probably run off 3 straight SBs between '92 and '94. Montana only had 1 year his team was challenged, and that was '81. There was no 2nd juggernaut in the NFC in his other 3 super bowl runs. But Young can't come out and say that, so he blames the Haley trade. I'm glad it still bothers him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Another good take from Steve Young on Trey Lance.

Goes into detail about how Lance was pressing with all the pressure on him to succeed. Can tell Steve Young relates to the young man and his situation to prove he is the Niners franchise QB.

Sounds like Steve Young really thinks highly of Trey Lance. Good point about how so many QBs say they finally got the NFL and then they are thrown out of town.

Hes jammed up?

Made little sense.