News: LBS: Steve Young has funny reason for disliking 49ers' Trey Lance trade

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Pressing. Trying to make highlights instead of play within himself with so much on the line. Listen to video for better details.
I listened it was dumb. Hes innaccurate throwing the ball, holds it too long and isnt processing well or quickly enough.

He needs much more time to develop

Hes probably pressing too.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I can't stand listening to Steve Young. He's the most anti-Cowboys media guy out there. Primarily since he couldn't carry Troy Aikman's jock strap in the 1990's.

visionary

Reaction score
Trey Lance has real top level potential
Question is can he maximize it here

My feeling is: make him gadget RPO QB this year in the playoffs

Competes at QB next TC if he can make strides

dcstar

Reaction score
Steve Young took way too many shots to the melon.
Gotta give it up for Mr Young and Mr Aikman...year after year they both took some hellacious shots and kept on going.

Go Cowboys!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Shouldn't compare trey to a hof'r just cause you like trey. Trey is far from the level of player Haley was when he was acquired. Trey isn't even a backup here, he's the backup to the backup with hopes he might become the backup next year.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply
Pocket poise has been compromised
Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks the awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make a throw
Concern over pressure too often trumps the ability to get through progressions
Must speed up the pace of his reads
Footwork is a mess
Slight stride onto the stiff upper leg with little weight shift
Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body
Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws
Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense
Needs to improve anticipation

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply
Pocket poise has been compromised
Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks the awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make a throw
Concern over pressure too often trumps the ability to get through progressions
Must speed up the pace of his reads
Footwork is a mess
Slight stride onto the stiff upper leg with little weight shift
Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body
Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws
Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense
Needs to improve anticipation
Thought for sure I could find something to disagree with but nope.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Yeah, the Charles Haley trade was second only to the Herschel Walker trade for building that great 90s team.

Yes, first the Walker trade set the foundation for Jimmy to have all those high draft picks and build it with. Then the Haley trade was the final piece that was missing that made them championship quality - they lacked that pass rushing ability he brought.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
I can't stand listening to Steve Young. He's the most anti-Cowboys media guy out there. Primarily since he couldn't carry Troy Aikman's jock strap in the 1990's.
Me also. He is such a bore and a zero as far as personality goes - always comes off as that smarmy jackass that thinks he knows everything. Has always had that look and demeanor about him. First rate dud. As if being a former Niner isn't enough to dislike him, his personality makes it even easier - LOL. The only time he shows any life at all is when he's dumping on the Cowboys. Never understood why anyone puts him, or keeps him on the air.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Remind me again of how Young ended up going from Tampa to San Francisco?

Oh yeah, that's right: a trade.

The Bucs thought so much of Young that they drafted Vinnie Testaverde with the #1 pick the year after Young signed with them... In fact, they thought he was a bust... kinda like Lance.

So here's a guy who salvaged his career by being traded from a team who thought he was a bust to somewhere where he could get a new start; and rather than being happy for a guy who (just like himself) might have a chance to succeed somewhere else, Young's more concerned about where that guy ends up.

Stay classy Steve.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

lukemartin79, I'm not sure why you quoted those two things I said. Are you claiming they conflict? They don't. The Walker trade gave the team a massive upgrade with numerous draft picks; then the Haley trade gave them the last piece they specifically needed -- a great pass rusher.​