Leadership personified. the Cowboy way

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Penalties are like dope smokers. Most of them do it but only the mentally lame get caught doing it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, I don't get that from McCarthy's comment. And I am not a McCarthy fan but what he said seems accurate. We had some really bad penalties at some really bad times (like the Gregory offsides on the Murray scramble that eventually resulted in a TD for Arizona).

Whats the difference between blaming the refs and complaining about the timing of penalties? He said the refs were too much to overcome.

The problem is the mentality of it and not taking responsibility for an overall poor performance.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
This team has not shown a consistent ability to overcome much of anything. That’s the most disheartening part of this. They were able to overcome a lot @ NE. But they’ve done nothing similar since.

This helped them out in NE. Oh, the irony! Lol.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree, McC is blaming more his team than the refs.

Great teams overcome penalties. Hell, every year the Raiders went to the AFCCG or SB they led the league in penalties. The difference was most of theirs were contact penalties and PF's.

He clearly states and I quote "I think the timing of our penalties, for us personally, was something that was a challenge for us to overcome." He is clearly blaming the officials. Its just more eloquently stated than the player quotes. Timing of penalties...... that is blaming the officiating.

Sydla

Reaction score
Whats the difference between blaming the refs and complaining about the timing of penalties? He said the refs were too much to overcome.

The problem is the mentality of it and not taking responsibility for an overall poor performance.

Where's the quote where he said the refs were too much to overcome? As I asked earlier, was there context to the McCarthy quote you noted above? What did he say prior or right after that quote above?

There's a big difference between blaming the officials and complaining about the timing of penalties. For example, when the Cowboys stopped the Cards after Murray was tackled after scrambling on 3rd and 12, they were called for offsides. The Cards then converted a 3rd and 7. That wasn't a bad call by the officials. We were clearly offsides. But the timing of that penalty was awful. We had a stop but then gave the Cards another chance due to our own stupidity. That's what I think McCarthy is referencing.

Now if there is a quote before or after that comment, that provides some more context, let's see it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where's the quote where he said the refs were too much to overcome? As I asked earlier, was there context to the McCarthy quote you noted above? What did he say prior or right after that quote above?

There's a big difference between blaming the officials and complaining about the timing of penalties. For example, when the Cowboys stopped the Cards after Murray was tackled after scrambling on 3rd and 12, they were called for offsides. The Cards then converted a 3rd and 7. That wasn't a bad call by the officials. We were clearly offsides. But the timing of that penalty was awful. We had a stop but then gave the Cards another chance due to our own stupidity.

You have to be able to interpret what you read. What do you think he meant by "timing of the penalties......... too much to overcome" ? Its basic reading comprehension here. He's blaming the refs without coming right out and saying "I blame the refs".

fivetwos

Reaction score
NE fell to 2-4 after that game. They are a much better team now. We are 3-4 (counting the NE game) against teams over .500. This team can't overcome anything bc they don't hold themselves accountable. It starts at the top with Jerry and trickles on down to MM and the players. The fault always lies with someone else.
Well see....there's the conflict between selling your product as an owner and GM accountability and holding others to the same.

You can't send two different messages and Jerry probably understands that.....but as a spoiled billionaire wants things both ways.

Itll always be a problem as far as toughness of this team and the idea that you've already won because you are here.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Well see....there's the conflict between selling your product as an owner and GM accountability and holding others to the same.

You can't send two different messages and Jerry probably understands that.....but as a spoiled billionaire wants things both ways.

Itll always be a problem as far as toughness of this team and the idea that you've already won because you are here.
Yet another reason to hire a real GM.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You have to be able to interpret what you read. What do you think he meant by "timing of the penalties......... too much to overcome" ? Its basic reading comprehension here. He's blaming the refs without coming right out and saying "I blame the refs".

I'm sorry but it seems it would be at best a veiled shot at the refs, if that at all. Which calls are people saying were glaringly actually not good calls? Everyone's talking about the fumble but that didn't involve a penalty.

Aven8

Reaction score
I believe Mikes and Lambs thoughts. The penalties on the Oline killed 4 drives. How does our dumb center get a false start?!? It was 3 and 4 and went to 3 and 9…..the other three holding calls were all big plays too.

Sydla

Reaction score
No it is not..

It is turning the opponent that makes that type of contact a pass interference. That type of defensive play happens all the time without any flag being thrown.

Dak threw it to a tightly contested and covered Amari, which is what caused the interception.

Cooper is literally pulled by the DB. If I recall, he even has a grasp of his jersey (although maybe I am confusing that with another play).

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Dak is just unwarranted bravado. The rest are all making excuses for not being better and winning the game. They have looked everywhere except in the mirror.

Why can't they just say something like "AZ played a good game today. We didn't execute very well. We hope to have another shot at them".
Glass houses. I bet each one of these guys knows what year it is.

Sydla

Reaction score

I think it means it was tough to overcome penalties at the wrong time. Again, context around that one quote you brought would help but you seem to not want to provide the full quote or statement from McCarthy.

Flip it around, what does "timing" of the penalties have to do with refs making bad calls on us. Either they made calls on us or not, so why would "timing" matter?

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm sorry but it seems it would be at best a veiled shot at the refs, if that at all. Which calls are people saying were glaringly actually not good calls? Everyone's talking about the fumble but that didn't involve a penalty.

Yeah it seems more likely that he's talking about the fact we had some bad penalties are really bad times. Pass interference on a fake punt, that bad offsides when we stopped Murray, the OC false starting that caused a drive to die. But again, one quote isn't much, atlantacowboy should provide more context to the quote he brought over here. What did McCarthy say right before that and right after that?

Maybe McCarthy is ripping the refs, but the one quote from this article can be read a multitude of ways.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it means it was tough to overcome penalties at the wrong time. Again, context around that one quote you brought would help but you seem to not want to provide the full quote or statement from McCarthy.

Flip it around, what does "timing" of the penalties have to do with refs making bad calls on us. Either they made calls on us or not, so why would "timing" matter?

Never heard Belechek or any coach worth their salt say anything like this.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Is this a joke post? Edit - nvm I think you are clowning them for being a bunch of softies and whiners, which i agree they are.