LeBron James vs Michael Jordan

Nav22

Reaction score
Listen, you thought you made a point, got your card pulled and then got into your feelings "wuh, wuh, when has Jordan done that!?!! Cuz he caaaant!!"

Pfffff, smh

Take the 'L'
Still going the immature brat route, I see. LOL.

Personal attacks are for children who have been bested intellectually. Try to man up next time.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Still going the immature brat route, I see. LOL.

Personal attacks are for children who have been bested intellectually. Try to man up next time.

Lol, I see with you it's "do as I say, not as I do."

Hypocrisy is a hallmark of the intellectually dishonest.

I've got you pegged.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
LeBron James is the best pure basketball player from top to bottom I’ve ever seen.

You can, in fact, say that LeBron is the best without it being a slap of disrespect to Michael Jordan.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
The only people who should be commenting on this thread are fans who actually witnessed both careers. If you didn't see Jordon , then you haven't any idea what your talking about.

IMO, Lebron is the more physically gifted. The game comes easy to him and he plays like it most of the time. The series against Boston where he put the team on his back and carried them is what Jordan did basically every year on the Bulls. Jordan refused to lose and played with an intensity on offense and defense that we rarely see in Lebron. Jordan is hands down the more fierce competitor.

I just can’t buy this. Jordan never really had to put a team on his back - the Bulls had three Hall of Famers at any given time. Those teams that played the Jazz had Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman. Those Bulls teams still made the playoffs as well when Jordan took a little time off to let the gambling heat die down.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
For the record, I'd still take Larry Bird over anybody I've ever seen play for a game winning shot at distance. Best I've ever seen in that regard.

You and me both. When Bird was in his prime, I was 7-9 years old, and he was the perfect player to implement when I was in the back yard championship game, the Celtics were down one with 10 seconds left on the clock and the ball was in his hands. Man, I miss being a kid. The only thing that I would ever worry about is whether or not that shot went in. :)

I just can’t buy this. Jordan never really had to put a team on his back - the Bulls had three Hall of Famers at any given time. Those teams that played the Jazz had Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman. Those Bulls teams still made the playoffs as well when Jordan took a little time off to let the gambling heat die down.

Absolutely no disrespect to you my man when I say that there was no way that you watched even one of MJ's games if you don't think that he carried his team on his back. Like I said earlier, I'm a Celtic fan, have watched over 90% of their games since I was a little brat and witnessed MJ single handedly beat one of the best Celtic teams ever....more than once. Besides Bird, he's the only other player, who I've watched, who could find that other gear when his team was down double digits with ~ 5 minutes left in the game. So many times he would go on a 10-0 run by himself to tie and then win a game. MJ was an assassin in the paint and behind the arc. There wasn't a shot that I would pray he'd shoot with the game on the line. Not the same with LeWhine. Keep him out of the paint, stop him from pushing his way to the basket and I'll take my chances giving him a 3-point shot all day long. He's going to miss it far more than he'll make it IMO.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Name the players that were LeBron's equal from those eras.

Karl Malone is probably the closest thing to LeBron physically. That's not even considering actual skills handling the ball, passing and shooting.

Malone probably was, and Malone was actually bigger. Having said that, name the player who is Jordan's equal today. Name the player who is the equal of Bird or Magic or Kareem or Hakeem or Shaq.

James is a great player but he is not the best player I've ever seen and he is not athletically superior to anybody I've ever seen.

Malone was not the passer the James is but he was a better post player. James shoots the three better but Malone was a better rebounder. Malone was pretty good player in his day as well.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Malone probably was, and Malone was actually bigger. Having said that, name the player who is Jordan's equal today. Name the player who is the equal of Bird or Magic or Kareem or Hakeem or Shaq.

James is a great player but he is not the best player I've ever seen and he is not athletically superior to anybody I've ever seen.

Malone was not the passer the James is but he was a better post player. James shoots the three better but Malone was a better rebounder. Malone was pretty good player in his day as well.

You've missed the point. We're talking about athleticism and whether athletes are better today than they were back then. Not whether there were great players back then.

Malone and James are comparable in size.

Agreed.

However, the Mailman was not doing the things athletically that James does on a court.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You've missed the point. We're talking about athleticism and whether athletes are better today than they were back then. Not whether there were great players back then.

Malone and James are comparable in size.

Agreed.

However, the Mailman was not doing the things athletically that James does on a court.

No we are not. You are talking about athleticism. The rest of us are talking about the comparison between LBJ and Michael.

Malone did things that James does not then. He did things in a more powerful, more physical manner when he played because that's the way the game was played then. James' game is more suited to an open court style of play. Malone did not have to bring the ball up the floor because he was one of the best wing players on the fast break, in the NBA. He was a great finisher. He also had one of the very best point guards in the History of the game. He played in an NBA where you knew the hard foul was coming. When you took the ball to the hole, you knew that somebody was going to contest in a very physical way. James doesn't play in that NBA. He plays in an NBA where the 3 pt play has changed the game completely. It's so much more open and the rules changes have allowed for the types of skills that James has shown, to be showcased. In Malone's day, those skills were not as relevant and that's why you didn't see that more. It's a different game now. This is why you really can't compare players and this is why I don't really buy into the whole "Players are better now because they are better Athletes" theory. They are just different because the game is different.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
No we are not. You are talking about athleticism. The rest of us are talking about the comparison between LBJ and Michael.

Malone did things that James does not then. He did things in a more powerful, more physical manner when he played because that's the way the game was played then. James' game is more suited to an open court style of play. Malone did not have to bring the ball up the floor because he was one of the best wing players on the fast break, in the NBA. He was a great finisher. He also had one of the very best point guards in the History of the game. He played in an NBA where you knew the hard foul was coming. When you took the ball to the hole, you knew that somebody was going to contest in a very physical way. James doesn't play in that NBA. He plays in an NBA where the 3 pt play has changed the game completely. It's so much more open and the rules changes have allowed for the types of skills that James has shown, to be showcased. In Malone's day, those skills were not as relevant and that's why you didn't see that more. It's a different game now. This is why you really can't compare players and this is why I don't really buy into the whole "Players are better now because they are better Athletes" theory. They are just different because the game is different.

Smh, why the hell am I even talking basketball with you, lol?

You're the same guy that stridently claimed Durant and the Warriors would never work because they wouldn't pass the ball.

Now here we are four straight Finals later, lol.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Smh, why the hell am I even talking basketball with you, lol?

You're the same guy that stridently claimed Durant and the Warriors would never work because they wouldn't pass the ball.

Now here we are four straight Finals later, lol.

Your not. You are doing what you always do, which is pick one thing that is outside of the discussion and try to sidetrack the actual discussion. Just like the Durant Warriors discussion. I never said what you claim. I pointed out that the money would be an issue for GS and that the Offense may not be as good with the addition of Durant. Guess what, the Offense wasn't as good as it was the season prior and the money was fast becoming a issue until the rules changed and helped the Warriors. But again, another attempt to sidetrack the discussion on your part.

You should just stop talking basketball with me. That would solve the problem, you are right.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Your not. You are doing what you always do, which is pick one thing that is outside of the discussion and try to sidetrack the actual discussion. Just like the Durant Warriors discussion. I never said what you claim. I pointed out that the money would be an issue for GS and that the Offense may not be as good with the addition of Durant. Guess what, the Offense wasn't as good as it was the season prior and the money was fast becoming a issue until the rules changed and helped the Warriors. But again, another attempt to sidetrack the discussion on your part.

You should just stop talking basketball with me. That would solve the problem, you are right.

Your analysis of the of the Durant acquisition and the reasoning used to support your claim has everything to do with how much weight I give your basketball opinions.

To not do so would be like thinking someone who claims Gino Smith is better than Aaron Rodgers somehow has credibility in terms of their football opinions.

I'm not picking out one thing...I'm remembering.

Anyways, have a good day.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Your analysis of the of the Durant acquisition and the reasoning used to support your claim has everything to do with how much weight I give your basketball opinions.

To not do so would be like thinking someone who claims Gino Smith is better than Aaron Rodgers somehow has credibility in terms of their football opinions.

I'm not picking out one thing...I'm remembering.

LOL...... You say that like I care what "weight" you give anything. LOL.........

OMG.... Stop it, my belly hurts.....

jrumann59

Reaction score
LOL uh, no dude. They'd have no SHOT at guarding LeBron, because LeBron's the best player to ever play the sport.

Charles LOL he even admits that he was a mediocre defender in his prime. But he's shutting down a guy Malone's size with a filthy jumper, incredible scoring ability in the paint AND elite passing ability?????

Oh, and hand-checking was instituted in 1994. So MJ benefited from that rule as well (but again, defenses were NOT allowed to zone up or shade Michael the way they can to LeBron).
Ok so Malone scores at will on LeBron because LeBron would have no answer for Malone's style. Rodman would get into his head like he did Shaq and Malones. I actually think LeBron would get abused by Kukoc when he has the ball.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Jordan was an offensive monster in an era more hostile to scoring, and an elite defender in an era when the bar for good defense was higher. Those two things together are just crazy. Hell, he was 3rd all-time in steals, too.

Jordan did benefit from having better supporting cast most of the time and better coaching. Phil Jackson went senile at some point, but he was elite from say 1991-2002. I don't think James played for a single coach who was better than just OK, and a bunch of the Cavs teams he dragged into the postseason were pure ***.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Jordan was an offensive monster in an era more hostile to scoring, and an elite defender in an era when the bar for good defense was higher. Those two things together are just crazy. Hell, he was 3rd all-time in steals, too.

Jordan did benefit from having better supporting cast most of the time and better coaching. Phil Jackson went senile at some point, but he was elite from say 1991-2002. I don't think James played for a single coach who was better than just OK, and a bunch of the Cavs teams he dragged into the postseason were pure ***.

Very honest post here........

Nav22

Reaction score
Ok so Malone scores at will on LeBron because LeBron would have no answer for Malone's style. Rodman would get into his head like he did Shaq and Malones. I actually think LeBron would get abused by Kukoc when he has the ball.
LOL right.

The guy who just put up an insane 51 pts (on 32 shots), 8 boards and 8 assists vs the most stacked team ever assembled, is getting dominated by a 6th man and a guy who never won anything.

The LeBron denial from old school B-ball fans is simply adorable. GOAT.