Led Zeppelin

triplets_93

Reaction score

Led Zeppelin's original contract with Atlantic Records stated that Jimmy Page could replace the other band members if he wanted​

https://www.loudersound.com/news/led-zeppelin-atlantic-contract

The original contract Led Zeppelin signed in 1968 with Atlantic Records has been uncovered, and it reveals that band leader Jimmy Page was allowed to replace the other members at any time. The contract, which was obtained by unofficial Led Zeppelin news site LedZepNews, comes from a 2005 court filing made by legal representatives of Steve Weiss, the band's attorney.

The contract was signed by Jimmy Page and Atlantic Records founder and president Ahmet Ertegun on November 11, 1968, and includes several clauses that may startle fans, not least that Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham could be substituted by other musicians if Jimmy Page saw fit.

The contract, which was agreed between Atlantic and Page's company, Superhype Tapes Limited, reveals that the company could "engage the services of other persons in substitution for the present members of 'The Led Zeppelin'" and that "In all events James Page shall be a member of and the leader of 'The Led Zeppelin'." It goes on to stipulate that any "person or persons whose services are terminated shall not use the name 'The Led Zeppelin' in any commercial or artistic endeavors."

triplets_93

Reaction score
53511811701_9072a5f87b_z.jpg

:cool:

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Kinda wish I was around during their prime but they are, by far, my favorite group. Their music was light years ahead of their time. And IMO, no one has come close since. This new generation has no idea what great music is. Jay Z, Drake, Cardi B....can't hold a candle to these guys.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Led Zeppelin's original contract with Atlantic Records stated that Jimmy Page could replace the other band members if he wanted​

https://www.loudersound.com/news/led-zeppelin-atlantic-contract

The original contract Led Zeppelin signed in 1968 with Atlantic Records has been uncovered, and it reveals that band leader Jimmy Page was allowed to replace the other members at any time. The contract, which was obtained by unofficial Led Zeppelin news site LedZepNews, comes from a 2005 court filing made by legal representatives of Steve Weiss, the band's attorney.

The contract was signed by Jimmy Page and Atlantic Records founder and president Ahmet Ertegun on November 11, 1968, and includes several clauses that may startle fans, not least that Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham could be substituted by other musicians if Jimmy Page saw fit.

The contract, which was agreed between Atlantic and Page's company, Superhype Tapes Limited, reveals that the company could "engage the services of other persons in substitution for the present members of 'The Led Zeppelin'" and that "In all events James Page shall be a member of and the leader of 'The Led Zeppelin'." It goes on to stipulate that any "person or persons whose services are terminated shall not use the name 'The Led Zeppelin' in any commercial or artistic endeavors."
I'm not sure they would have had the right to do that, had the occasion arisen. Unless the other band members signed off on it or Page copyrighted the name.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Kinda wish I was around during their prime but they are, by far, my favorite group. Their music was light years ahead of their time. And IMO, no one has come close since. This new generation has no idea what great music is. Jay Z, Drake, Cardi B....can't hold a candle to these guys.
They're in my top 5. Bonzo is definitely my favorite drummer, and my favorite member of the band.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I saw this Celebration Day Poster Art at Ollie's today ($14.98)

53544449466_a97b957cee_o.jpg
I just picked up a poster with the old man on the mountain and some Stairway To Heaven lyrics, and I ordered a 12 x 16 of Bonzo playing. That one's taking several weeks, for some reason.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
As a long time Zeppelin fan, IF Isolated tracks were available for each Zeppelin member, in an Official release, I would, no question, pick up the John Bonham Bonzo set, right off the bat, over all of the others.
Agreed, and just dawned on my why your username is Triplets.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Thanks for posting, I travelled down to Birmingham in the UK to watch them at the NEC, I never saw Zeppelin but I imagine that was close as it got as they were stunning. Watching Jimmy playing the Song Remains the Same that is one of the highlights of my life
Watching LZ open with TSRTS in 1977 was definitely one of my top LZ Highlights. It was so bloody powerful!!! When I listen to TSRTS from TSRTS, I imagine the opening from 1977!