Lee - Vander Esch - Smith

DanA

Reaction score
I don't know how people are so sure we've seen the best of Jaylon and there isn't another gear. I get having doubts, I have them, but the certainty of his failure in here has me scratching my head. The Jaylon Smith I saw at Notre Dame, I think he easily beats out a rookie 1st round pick.

LittleD

Reaction score
And for the record, the previously mentioned problem with Sturm's analysis is he argues from the premise that a MIKE and a SAM or WIIL should be judged by the same criteria. He essentially extrapolated Smith's struggles at an unnatural position to his entire game, ignoring improvement in the traits that will suit him well at a more natural position this year.

At this point, we only have to hope that Smith can perform better than Wilbur at the SAM position which is usually only a 2-down position. Smith can rush from that position and play the run on 1st and 2nd down. He cannot be on the field on passing downs at this point. He likely
will not improve that much as the nerve has most likely maxed out coming back.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does that look pretty sweet!!!

To me, our LB's right now just maintain the status quo from last year. That's if LVE can play up to Hitchens standards which will be tough for him for his first year. Jaylon should be improved but Lee's continued health issues are a concern.

We still could use Bowman IMO.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
LVE and Sean Lee are every down backs.

If Jaylon is getting a lot of playing time, something has gone horribly wrong.

If you guys want to blindly believe he'll be good one day because of pics on Twitter of him working out without a brace, suit yourselves.
Ya know, that take can be spun 180 degrees the other way just as easily. Just saying.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
He had 1 year to learn the game, and train other part of his body, quite disappointing.

Another 2nd round bust.
Learning the game and getting playing time with the speed of the NFL is two different things. Some of you guys expectations are way too unrealistic, y'all would have wanted Aikman gone his first couple of years. Chill and watch him develop, under contract and is cheap not only that was available every game last year unlike Lee

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
LB might have gone from a weakness to a strength.
Our LBs coverage will be much better. We got burned in the middle of the field. I wasnt high on Leighton but he can cover great and will only improve in that area. Jaylon showed his coverage when he had that pick in the rain......I know it didn't count.....but the athletic ability was shown

VirusX

Reaction score
Jaylon was decent in coverage, pretty good in the blitz... Go back and wach the film. If he doesnt overthink and commit to some of those lanes he is going to be a helluva player. He had the instincts in college. He is just hesitant, watch blitz film. He can shed blockers, make himself thin (a few times he split two linemen like they werent there) change direction coming around the corner... Base line is, if he studies the film gets some confidence and is more decisive he will be an outstanding player.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jaylon will move to Strong side LB with Vander Esch at Middle and Lee at weak side. \

morasp

Reaction score
Our LBs coverage will be much better. We got burned in the middle of the field. I wasnt high on Leighton but he can cover great and will only improve in that area. Jaylon showed his coverage when he had that pick in the rain......I know it didn't count.....but the athletic ability was shown

If he takes the next step LVE will get the ball back for the offense. He had forced fumbles, sacks, and interceptions. Moose pointed that out on the Cowboys show.

MistyAnn

Reaction score
those 3 guys together would be good against the pass, Lee was our only real ball hawker in past against the air attack. Smith was finding his feet against the run and on blitzes last year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Smith had to start the first six games because Hitchens was injured. It was clear he was not ready to play that much, that soon. However, once he was able to go back to a rotational role, his play went from dreadful to okay, then from okay to pretty good.

Now that his knee is even healthier and he has a season of NFL experience under his belt, I think we could see more of the Jaylon Smith that was at Notre Dame.

His trainer said we should see a totally new player this year.