Leighton continues to impress!

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Our TE's had 5 catches for 98 yards this past game. They aren't stars, but make them part of the game plan, as they finally did Sunday, and they can be positive contributors to the offense.

Im not against making them part of the game plan. I just don't think we need Swaim out there as a constant . He's not a good enough receiver to be a constant in a passing attack. He's a run support and a checkdown receiver not an every snap player . He's not a weapon and we have better weapons that need to be involved more

Get him off the field on 3rd downs because he doesn't have the abilities to impact the game as a receiver. He's caught 2 lucky breaks on a couple of 3 yard checkdown passes when left uncovered but everything else has been subpar!!!

He's not the everydown version of 82 in his prime. Heck he's not even the washed up version of 82 lately.

We won't win 6 games with him as a constant in our passing offense. Swaim is not an everydown player. He's just a 2nd stringer on any other team besides the Cowboys.

His constant is only keeping better receiving personnel from rotation and keeping our easy to defense 3rd down formations the same.

We have the lowest 3rd down conversion rate in the league. At some point you have to ask yourself if he is a good enough receiver to move the chains, get the yards and the scores and carry the load as a receiver?

My eyes and the stats say he has no deep ball or big play capabilities to warrant all that involvement. Rico is a better option at te on passing downs then Swaim. We need more Rico, tavon, or rb then we need Swaims overinvolvement

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im not against making them part of the game plan. I just don't think we need Swaim out there as a constant . He's not a good enough receiver to be a constant in a passing attack. He's a run support and a checkdown receiver not an every snap player .

Get him off the field on 3rd downs because he doesn't have the abilities to impact the game as a receiver. He's caught 2 lucky breaks on a couple of 3 yard checkdown passes when left uncovered but everything else has been subpar!!!

He's not the everydown version of 82 in his prime. Heck he's not even the washed up version of 82 lately.

We won't win 6 games with him as a constant in our passing offense. Swaim is not an everydown player. He's just a 2nd stringer on any other team besides the Cowboys.

His constant is only keeping better receiving personnel from rotation and keeping our easy to defense 3rd down formations the same.

We have the lowest 3rd down conversion rate in the league. At some point you have to ask yourself if he is a good enough receiver to move the chains, get the yards and the scores and carry the load as a receiver?

My eyes and the stats say he has no deep ball or big play capabilities to warrant all that involvement.

I don't think we have an every snap type receiver at TE, or even one that notably outshines the others as a receiver, so I get why the better blocker gets more snaps. That said, Jarwin is more athletic that Swaim, and Gathers is a bigger target, so I have no problem if we work them in a little more. I think all of them can run routes and catch passes.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Im not against making them part of the game plan. I just don't think we need Swaim out there as a constant . He's not a good enough receiver to be a constant in a passing attack. He's a run support and a checkdown receiver not an every snap player . He's not a weapon and we have better weapons that need to be involved more

My eyes and the stats say he has no deep ball or big play capabilities to warrant all that involvement. Rico is a better option at te on passing downs then Swaim. We need more Rico, tavon, or rb then we need Swaims overinvolvement
We have the lowest 3rd down % in the league because we are constantly behind the chains. Penalties have played a huge part in that. 1st down, run up the middle for one. 2nd down, holding. Now we are second and 20 and hit a check down for 3-4 yds. 3rd and 16, good luck picking that up a high rate.

If we don't win 6 games it won't be because of Swaim. It will be because of our pathetic offensive scheme overall and a QB that doesn't trust himself to make throws.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
We have the lowest 3rd down % in the league because we are constantly behind the chains. Penalties have played a huge part in that. 1st down, run up the middle for one. 2nd down, holding. Now we are second and 20 and hit a check down for 3-4 yds. 3rd and 16, good luck picking that up a high rate.

If we don't win 6 games it won't be because of Swaim. It will be because of our pathetic offensive scheme overall and a QB that doesn't trust himself to make throws.

So you think swaim is qualified as a receiver on 3rd and 16? What has swaim done on 3rd down that was so detrimental to have him out there on 3rd down? Hes dropped more 3rd down passes than He's caught. Plus He's never even caught a 10 yard pass in the air in his life but he's still in on all those 3rd and 10,15,20 yards snaps and he isn't qualified

He's not gonna make any game winning scores or impactful passing plays in the fourth quarter against any good defenses. Hes not even a chain mover like 82 . When the game is on the line and you need a big play here's one less receiver defenses have to worry about. He gets shut out when the game is on the line just like the Hof #82 did every time.

In fact #82 said we need to run more 10 personnel and so far we haven't. You can't throw the worst receiver we have out there on do or die plays and expect him not to weaken our passing offense.

Rico looks like Gronk compared to Swaim as a receiver. Lol. Any receiver we have on the team is a better option on passing plays then Swaim.

No NFL team is gonna play a te who is a weak receiver on every passing down. We're only gonna get as far as he can take us .

We don't have any integration with the te or rb position whatsoever. No 2 back sets or 10 persoonel just a bunch of Jag tes for the past 5-6 years WHO NEVER CAUGHT ANYTHING WHEN IT MATTERED

Last edited:

waving monkey

Reaction score
Vander Esch is doing fine, but I'm ready to see him make some plays. He has one TFL and 0 passes defended on the year. Yes, he's racking up a ton of solo tackles, which is great, but it's time to start seeing some impact plays. Jaylon was our best player last night, flying around and laying the wood to Watson a few times. 3 TFL, a sack, a pass defended 2 more hits on the QB.
fifth rookie game?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'll be honest, Jaylon and LVE are about the only reason I watch Cowboys game this season. So fun to watch both of them just become total studs.