Leighton continues to impress!

baltcowboy

Reaction score
My only issue with LVE is he's not a thumper. All of his tackles are drag downs, whereas someone like Jaylon actually brings the thump. Maybe it's because he's so tall, so he's losing leverage battles and it's not like he isn't a good tackler, it's just that with his size and athleticism, I expected a little more violence in his game.
If he thumps to hard, he will get a penalty. God I hate what is happening to the greatest game in the world.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
He has one less combined tackle than J.Smith.
No sacks where J.Smith has 3 at this time.

J. Smith made some wow tackles last night.
However nobody should be belittling LVE at all right now.
He might not make the wow tackles but he does make the majority of the tackles.
I was going to post earlier that some of this tackles seem odd that he is not slamming people or being big hits but at the same
time he is not missing most of them either nor getting any penalties for them. He is very steady and making the tackles.

This will become even more impressive once he gets bigger, stronger and gets more experience in the system.
As fast as he plays now you can still see him thinking before attacking.
When he has played enough that his exp kicks in he will be making even more tackles and my guess is those will turn into more
tackles for losses unless he is in coverage.

Not to mention an entire offseason in the weight room and solely focusing on putting mass on that frame. Jaylon was no where the physical specimen (no homo) that he is today. LVE has the frame to be MASSIVE.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Really playing well for a rookie.

Question for those really paying attention........... have the Cowboys been mixing up where LVE and Smith have been playing? Meaning sometimes Smith plays MIKE and then plays WILL?

I think ideally Smith should be the WILL and LVE the MIKE down the road.
It looks like they change spots. They are interchangeable. I love Lee but man these two get better and better every time they play. Shoot even Wilson made some plays last night.

John813

Reaction score
My only issue with LVE is he's not a thumper. All of his tackles are drag downs, whereas someone like Jaylon actually brings the thump. Maybe it's because he's so tall, so he's losing leverage battles and it's not like he isn't a good tackler, it's just that with his size and athleticism, I expected a little more violence in his game.

I'm a sucker for the big hits. Seems like Smith has better leverage/angles when he goes for the kill shot, unlike someone like Wilcox who would either whiff badly or take off the persons head.
That being said, just glad LVE is in position and stops the ball carrier. Rather he be technically sound this year and develop more of a pop later on than try for the kill shot and eat grass.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
How many game changing plays have we seen from Sean Lee over the years? A Handful? And he is considered one of the best in the game.

LVE is making big plays. When Saquan Barkley is in open field and LVE takes him down with ease then he just made a huge play for your team that a lot of linebackers can't physically make.

The middle of our defense was atrocious last year and with Lee out we may have upgraded with Vander Esch instead of being awful there.
Not sure what Sean Lee you have watched over the years, but I've seen INT's, some forced fumbles, some sacks, a couple of TD's, a bunch of TFL's, etc etc. I realize that LVE is just a rookie and those big plays will likely start coming, but I want them sooner rather than later.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not sure what Sean Lee you have watched over the years, but I've seen INT's, some forced fumbles, some sacks, a couple of TD's, a bunch of TFL's, etc etc. I realize that LVE is just a rookie and those big plays will likely start coming, but I want them sooner rather than later.

I didn't say Sean Lee wasn't a playmaker. He is. But big turnover plays are rare even for Sean Lee.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
My one issue with Smith is that you can see that he still struggles at times to get off blocks. It's why I think he's better suited at WILL down the road.

People are pointing out coverage issues with our LBs but I think that's partly due to scheme. A couple times last night, the Texans had some easy 7-8 yard gains over the middle because our LBs are sprinting 15 yards downfield in zone coverage.

Seemed like the game plan was to keep everything in front. Think they were scared of the speed of the Houston receivers.

keysersoze

Reaction score

Question for those really paying attention........... have the Cowboys been mixing up where LVE and Smith have been playing? Meaning sometimes Smith plays MIKE and then plays WILL?

What difference does it make? As long as they are both doing their jobs, who cares where they line up?

John813

Reaction score

I thought I saw LVE more in the middle this game, but couldn't tell if we in some 3 safety formation or he was actually the Mike alongside Wilson and Smith.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
You said he's only had a handful of game changing plays over the years. That is not a true statement.

keysersoze

Reaction score
My one issue with Smith is that you can see that he still struggles at times to get off blocks. It's why I think he's better suited at WILL down the road.

People are pointing out coverage issues with our LBs but I think that's partly due to scheme. A couple times last night, the Texans had some easy 7-8 yard gains over the middle because our LBs are sprinting 15 yards downfield in zone coverage.
Wrong. Smith is our best linebacker on the field right now. It’s not even close. Yes LVE drags running backs down after riding them a couple of yards. But Jaylon does it all. Run stopping. Pass rushing and coverage. Please stop.

keysersoze

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for the big hits. Seems like Smith has better leverage/angles when he goes for the kill shot, unlike someone like Wilcox who would either whiff badly or take off the persons head.
That being said, just glad LVE is in position and stops the ball carrier. Rather he be technically sound this year and develop more of a pop later on than try for the kill shot and eat grass.
Well said.... :thumbup:

mmohican29

Reaction score
Kid's absolutely legit. He's just a pup too. Super instinctive but needs work on coverage skills. Incredibly sound tackler.

Another thing I like: quick hands during the tackle. He almost scraped the ball free from Hopkins' hands on the backbreaking play. Watch the slow mo replay.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Him and Jaylon are going to be a really good duo at LB. Now just have to get the secondary up to speed they were awful last night.
We desperately need safety help. And to be honest I believe we pull it out last night with Irving in the lineup with some spot duty on passing downs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Kid's absolutely legit. He's just a pup too. Super instinctive but needs work on coverage skills. Incredibly sound tackler.

Another thing I like: quick hands during the tackle. He almost scraped the ball free from Hopkins' hands on the backbreaking play. Watch the slow mo replay.

I would say covering is his greatest strength.

A completion or 2 doesn't change that.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
We desperately need safety help. And to be honest I believe we pull it out last night with Irving in the lineup with some spot duty on passing downs.
I watched last night when they would spread out and we have LVE and Damien Wilson covering wrs out of the slot. Marinelli and richard both suck for that.