Leighton continues to impress!

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bad wheel? Straight line-ish??? Did you see Jaylon beat Watson to the edge and cream him? LVE will probably NEVER make that play against Watson.

Yes. Bad wheel and straight-linish. That play that impressed you, Superman, was a straight path to the sideline. I'm talking about making cuts sideline to sideline in the open field.

Jaylon Smith struggles with that on account of his bad wheel.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Yes. Bad wheel and straight-linish. That play that impressed you, Superman, was a straight path to the sideline. I'm talking about making cuts sideline to sideline in the open field.

Jaylon Smith struggles with that on account of his bad wheel.
Didn’t seem to have an issue last night. Ir in any other games this season. I don’t think he would’ve been assigned to spy a very mobile quarterback such as Watson if his mobility was in question.. But hey! It’s ok. We all have our favorites. Lol

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn’t seem to have an issue last night. Or any other game this season. But hey! It’s ok. We all have our favorites. Lol

I don't have favorites. I don't give two craps about these players. I just believe Vander Esch is a better piece for the future.

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
I don't have favorites. I don't give two craps about these players. I just believe Vander Esch is a better piece for the future.
We need a GM with this type of conviction. Players are cogs or commodities and need to be evaluated that way.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score

keysersoze

Reaction score
Ugh. One of the few positive things to take away from last nights game and we turn this thread into a !@#$% thread. Can't we like both of our young stud LB's? They both played great.
I just read this article about Urlacher and Briggs. How great would it be if our two studs could turn into our version of Urlacher and Briggs?

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/b...-robin-bears-relationship-went-beyond-schemes
I agree. Unfortunately that’s just not how the world works.

sbark

Reaction score
Bad wheel? Straight line-ish??? Did you see Jaylon beat Watson to the edge and cream him? LVE will probably NEVER make that play against Watson.
LVE wrestles people to the ground. No pop and not much stopping power at the point of attack. Ball carriers drag him quite a bit.
I also saw LVE come from to the left of jaylon and get to the rb going right side of the d. LVE flowed in behind and cut the runner down, jaylon got caught in trash

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I also saw LVE come from to the left of jaylon and get to the rb going right side of the d. LVE flowed in behind and cut the runner down, jaylon got caught in trash

Jaylon struggles to change direction in space. He's moving better than last year but it's still there. His straight line speed looks to be back.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Didn’t seem to have an issue last night. Ir in any other games this season. I don’t think he would’ve been assigned to spy a very mobile quarterback such as Watson if his mobility was in question.. But hey! It’s ok. We all have our favorites. Lol

Jaylon does struggle with change of direction. He turns like a sailboat.

Straight line he is fine.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Jaylon took on the blocker which freed LVE to the runner. That’s what linebacker tandems do. :facepalm:

keysersoze

Reaction score
Jaylon does struggle with change of direction. He turns like a sailboat.

Straight line he is fine.
So.... Rod and Richard are allowing a linebacker who can’t change direction to spy mobile quarterbacks huh??? Please stop. This is beginning to get silly.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What’s the deal with this LVE vs Jaylon competition? That’s ignorance. Jaylon is a pure football player recovering from what should’ve been a career ending injury. I’d say he’s doing a damned good job.
LVE is more of a wrestler turned linebacker who also has some upside. But in no way, shape, form or fashion do I believe LVE will have a better career than Jaylon. And I honestly don’t see what makes any of you think otherwise. But I’m sure interested in hearing what makes anyone believe so.

This should be interesting
I wasn’t the one that started talking to them in relation to each other, but even so, they werent talking in terms of having a better career, just where things stand now. And I didn’t see anyone disparaging jaylon. If they did it must have been earlier in the thread than I saw. But if you want to talk about a career comparison, I would say it’s way premature to have that discussion. I understand why you believe in Jaylon. I love how he’s progressing. I don’t, however, understand you downplaying LVE though. His career is off to a great start. Ultimately I don’t care one iota whose career is better, I just want them both to have great careers. I like the chances for both.

sbark

Reaction score
Jaylon took on the blocker which freed LVE to the runner. That’s what linebacker tandems do. :facepalm:
U uh hmm no

Lve slipped the block attempt from the off right guard, jaylon got blocked by the left guard . .the side the play/rb ran to

Lve came from the opposite side, back side

That is more the way rod m def protects the will lb than anything

keysersoze

Reaction score
I wasn’t the one that started talking to them in relation to each other, but even so, they werent talking in terms of having a better career, just where things stand now. And I didn’t see anyone disparaging jaylon. If they did it must have been earlier in the thread than I saw. But if you want to talk about a career comparison, I would say it’s way premature to have that discussion. I understand why you believe in Jaylon. I love how he’s progressing. I don’t, however, understand you downplaying LVE though. His career is off to a great start. Ultimately I don’t care one iota whose career is better, I just want them both to have great careers. I like the chances for both.
Actually I totally agree with you. I’m not downplaying LVE either. I’m just stating the obvious as I see it. Same as those who said worse things about Jaylon and Rico. There’s a big difference in how they are all judged by some. It’s silly to me, but since people want to make comparisons I’ll put my opinion in the pot as well. And I don’t think LVE is smarter, stronger or more athletic than Jaylon. Apparently the coaching staff doesn’t either.

keysersoze

Reaction score
U uh hmm no

Lve slipped the block attempt from the off right guard, jaylon got blocked by the left guard . .the side the play/rb ran to

Lve came from the opposite side, back side

That is more the way rod m def protects the will lb than anything
This is a lie. LVE didn’t slip a block. He chased the play from behind. Which is what he does the most. Give it a rest man. Please

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
LVE just doesn't miss tackles - even the slippery guys, even at bad angles. For a 21 year old rookie coming into a tackling-optional sort of league, his tackling has been incredibly impressive. I don't care if he lays the wood or not - he wraps people up and doesn't make mistakes, and that's everything you can ask for.

Jaylon tends to go for the flashy big hits that get the fans and the defense fired up, but he has also missed a couple gimmes this year. About the only blemish on his copy book last night was when he was trying to take down Alfred Blue on a 3 or 4 yard checkdown. Blue gave him a stiff arm, and I don't know if he caught Jaylon off balance or what, but he shrugged Smith off with way too much ease, then headed upfield for 30 yards. I think that LVE would have the weight and the reach to take him down there where Jaylon had missed it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Vander Esch is doing fine, but I'm ready to see him make some plays. He has one TFL and 0 passes defended on the year. Yes, he's racking up a ton of solo tackles, which is great, but it's time to start seeing some impact plays. Jaylon was our best player last night, flying around and laying the wood to Watson a few times. 3 TFL, a sack, a pass defended 2 more hits on the QB.

Jaylon's been here three years man. He better be the best LB out there last night, and he probably was. He played the best game I've ever seen him play in a Cowboy uni. Esch is a Rookie and he is doing really well just to be starting. I think we gotta give him a little time and he'll be fine. A full year of training is going to do him a world of good. He gets stronger and he going to start stone walling guys instead of just making tackles. I'm really happy with the Dude myself.

JMO