Signed by Cowboys Leighton Vander Esch signed for 2 Years

John813

Reaction score
If Wagner signs not on the west coast and under 10mil AAV, I would be annoyed too.
But, IIRC, his preference last year was to be on the West Coast. I think the only other teams linked to him as a few days ago are the Chargers/Seattle.
LVE's cap hit for 23 seems to be around 3mil. They could make Wagner fit in here too, if they actually got creative with the cap.
Might be a blinking game or might be cheapness.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Why would anyone be upset with this move? It's $11 million over two years. It's a pretty humble contract for a player who has given it his all as a Dallas Cowboy and has done a good job for his ability.

phildadon86

Reaction score
All fine and well, except we aren't likely to sign Wagner and don't have either the FO, nor the boldness at our disposal to do so. How many times do Jerry and Stephen have to prove that they are unwilling to spend what it takes to get the prima donnas of the NFL to join this team? We can drool over guys like him 'til the cows come home but at some point, the truth comes to the surface. We'd best hope LVE has another year like the one that just passed. That's what we're faced with whether we like it or not. Not being negative -- just facing the cold, hard facts. Let's hope it all works out.
No. The problem with Jerry and his moron son is they think they can lowball FAs because "Everyone would be lucky to play for Dallas"

They are stuck in the 90s. As you can tell by the way they build the team in general.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
No. The problem with Jerry and his moron son is they think they can lowball FAs because "Everyone would be lucky to play for Dallas"

They are stuck in the 90s. As you can tell by the way they build the team in general.
Whether you like it or not, you seem to agree with me but aren't listening to what I've tried to say. Make the best of it or maybe find another team. Jerry and Stephen aren't going to change -- they're proven it time and again. This team is best followed with expectations at arm's length. Give yourself a break and try to live with reality. This isn't the Landry team any longer and likely won't be in the near future. This is a regular season team now. Adjust your expectations and you'll be happier.

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
Whether you like it or not, you seem to agree with me but aren't listening to what I've tried to say. Make the best of it or maybe find another team.
Here we go with the "find another team" nonsense. I can be angry and still love this team. Doesnt mean I like how it is being run. You guys need to stop with the find a new team crap. It gets old fast. If I could leave this franchise. I would.

khiladi

Reaction score
He’s the guy that gets the defense properly aligned, despite the deterioration in his physical skills. Hopefully the decline physically has stopped to a point it didn’t make him a liability.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Here we go with the "find another team" nonsense. I can be angry and still love this team. Doesnt mean I like how it is being run. You guys need to stop with the find a new team crap. It gets old fast. If I could leave this franchise. I would.
Obviously, you love this team and are content to keep being miserable and hoping for things that won't happen. Good luck with that. I said MAYBE find another team -- didn't insist on anything you don't like nor want to do. You're perfectly welcome to stay the same frustrated soul you are now if it suits you. I'm fine with that, as long as you are. Good luck and please try to forgive my wanting to help. I wish you well and hope you enjoy your season that lies ahead.

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
If Wagner signs not on the west coast and under 10mil AAV, I would be annoyed too.
But, IIRC, his preference last year was to be on the West Coast. I think the only other teams linked to him as a few days ago are the Chargers/Seattle.
LVE's cap hit for 23 seems to be around 3mil. They could make Wagner fit in here too, if they actually got creative with the cap.
Might be a blinking game or might be cheapness.
Buffalo also

Big_D

Reaction score

Lucky to play for Dallas is definitely the mindset for Jerry and Junior. It’s a supreme honor just to be lowballed by the Jones family! “The balls in your court now, we’ll be fine either way”!

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
He’s the guy that gets the defense properly aligned, despite the deterioration in his physical skills. Hopefully the decline physically has stopped to a point it didn’t make him a liability.
Yep, he's a steady facilitating MLB that will allow Micah, Damone, Cox and Nickelback to do their thing. He/We need a 1-Tech to stop o-line getting to the secondary and wiping him out....then close the book on the D (until the draft) and move to the receiving needs.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Whether you like it or not, you seem to agree with me but aren't listening to what I've tried to say. Make the best of it or maybe find another team. Jerry and Stephen aren't going to change -- they're proven it time and again. This team is best followed with expectations at arm's length. Give yourself a break and try to live with reality. This isn't the Landry team any longer and likely won't be in the near future. This is a regular season team now. Adjust your expectations and you'll be happier.
Here and now, with what is going on today in the NFL, Jerry's and Stephen's MO alone, won't match up to the top winner's position. Follow an Andy Reid for that picture.

If one likes good football alone, Dallas is fine, unless...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Here and now, with what is going on today in the NFL, Jerry's and Stephen's MO alone, won't match up to the top winner's position. Follow an Andy Reid for that picture.

If one likes good football alone, Dallas is fine, unless...
I've adjusted my expectations accordingly and don't expect Jerry and Stephen to change to suit their fans anytime soon. They would have done so already if that were the case. Super Bowls seem like a distant memory now and that's fine by me with things being as they are. I'm reasonably content following this team as it now stands. Of course, if things were to change for the better, I'd adjust to that instanty, make no mistake. ;)

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Saving money doesnt win football games. They saved money last year and then sat on their hands and didnt bring in any other talent.
It does win games if you spend the saving on improving the overall aspect of the team....improve run defense Plan A- Wagner (and lesser or no DT upgrade) or Plan B - LVE (and spend the saving on a1-tech DT upgrade).
We don't know what each player was asking, what plans we've got for DT spending.
Last year's 'save' can be considered a gamble on which players can really step up...fine, not all worked, however LVE, Wilson and CeeDee all did)... now we're in a totally different CAP situation than last year and indeed we've accelerated spending (money that was certainly available next year).