Signed by Cowboys Leighton Vander Esch signed for 2 Years

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
"We know why."
Probably graded out in the top 3 on the defense last season. Clearly, the coaches approved. He wears the green dot.

He stuffed the SF run game. As good a game as any LBer played all season. You're foolin' yourself.
You guys dont watch tape or actual good players on other teams.

plasticman

Reaction score
Good news for us and Vander Esch. I can tell from the "Mic'd Up" up sessions that he really enjoys being a Dallas Cowboy.

RoboQB

Reaction score
You guys dont watch tape or actual good players on other teams.
What matters is the coaches do.
They figured LVE at half the price and several years younger than Wagner was the right call.

The armchair GMs said there's no way he'd get re-signed.

I coached for 17 years. I have evaluated every position many times. But you go ahead and act important, buddy.

And it's "film". Not "tape". Rook... lol

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
LVE is okay with a better core of LB's. Dallas cannot go into next season relying strictly on him. They need at least one "attacking" player, at that position. Please do not give me the Parsons rhetoric.

stinkface

Reaction score
LVE plays well if the DTs in front of him play well. He does shed blocks well, but he normally diagnoses plays well. To me he is one big hit away from being out of the league because of his neck.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You and I don't agree much but I endorse this take 100%

LVE gets a lot of flack on this site but for this price I think it's a good deal for the team. Our defense was not as good when he was out this year.
You get what you pay for. Go the cheap route. Get bounced in the divisional. Spend money. Possibly advance to the superbowl.
Y’all need to stop with this “defense wasnt as good when he went down”

The defense went downhill because Hankins went down. Not LVE.

phildadon86

Reaction score
They figured LVE at half the price and several years younger than Wagner was the right call.

I coached for 17 years. I have evaluated every position many times. But you go ahead and act important, buddy.

So. You’ve watched a lot of film?

You see how many plays this guy misses? Did you see for instance. How many games he’s missed? Wagner has missed none. You guys will literally be happy with signing anyone. When a guy like Bobby Wagner is out there, who graded out as the best run stopping Lb in football, at a position of need, the cost is irrelevant.

Comparing LVE to Wagner is asinine. One is going to the hall of fame. One has missed time in all but one season.

Hadenough

Reaction score
2 years for 11 mil a true bargain. He played well last year and Wagner is probably looking for a 100 mil deal like Von Miller got from Buffalo.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Those in denial of LVE having a good year last season aren't being fair minded.

He had a good season to most fans. Let's not be greedy. Our cap isn't foolproof.

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
Those in denial of LVE having a good year last season aren't seeing it with eyes wide open. He had a fine season to most fair-minded observers.
I mean, the guy has limitations, but like you said overall he had a decent/good year and even sites like PFF, who graded him rough, and rightfully so in year 2&3 showed he had a decent year. The team isn't paying him like a core guy. He's basically insurance in case Clark/Cox don't step up and we at least have a LB that Quinn trusts and can get the rest of the defense set up.

After struggling through the three previous seasons, Vander Esch proved to be an incredibly valuable member of the Cowboys' defense in 2022, producing his best PFF grade (73.1) since his outstanding rookie campaign (85.4 PFF grade). Despite missing two games and most of a third in 2022, Vander Esch still finished second on the team in tackles (72) and fourth in stops (33) while missing just seven tackles.
In addition to Vander Esch's value against the run, his improvement in coverage in Quinn's defense might've been even more impressive. His awareness in short-to-intermediate zone coverage helped him record a notable 76.7 coverage grade in 2022.

I'm always a bit weary on cap hit numbers right after a contract is signed as it may not all leak out so quickly.
But OTC has him at a 2 year, 7.9mil contract. Not sure if the remaining 3mil, is escalators/performance bonuses he could trigger?
https://overthecap.com/player/leighton-vander-esch/6904

~3.1mil this year
~4.79mil next.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I mean, the guy has limitations, but like you said overall he had a decent/good year and even sites like PFF, who graded him rough, and rightfully so in year 2&3 showed he had a decent year. The team isn't paying him like a core guy. He's basically insurance in case Clark/Cox don't step up and we at least have a LB that Quinn trusts and can get the rest of the defense set up.

After struggling through the three previous seasons, Vander Esch proved to be an incredibly valuable member of the Cowboys' defense in 2022, producing his best PFF grade (73.1) since his outstanding rookie campaign (85.4 PFF grade). Despite missing two games and most of a third in 2022, Vander Esch still finished second on the team in tackles (72) and fourth in stops (33) while missing just seven tackles.
In addition to Vander Esch's value against the run, his improvement in coverage in Quinn's defense might've been even more impressive. His awareness in short-to-intermediate zone coverage helped him record a notable 76.7 coverage grade in 2022.

I'm always a bit weary on cap hit numbers right after a contract is signed as it may not all leak out so quickly.
But OTC has him at a 2 year, 7.9mil contract. Not sure if the remaining 3mil, is escalators/performance bonuses he could trigger?
https://overthecap.com/player/leighton-vander-esch/6904

~3.1mil this year
~4.79mil next.
I'd much rather have him here than to see him depart for another team that'd benefit from his presence. He's definitely earned his respect, imho.

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Nobody cares u coached in 1980.

The film and tape dont lie. Saving money doesnt win football games. They saved money last year and then sat on their hands and didnt bring in any other talent.

This armchair gm would be better than jerry and stephen

phildadon86

Reaction score
Those in denial of LVE having a good year last season aren't being fair minded.

He had a good season to most fans. Let's not be greedy. Our cap isn't foolproof.
No one is denying he had a good season.

Thats just the thing though. He has had ONE good season since his rookie year. The guy cant stay healthy, has neck issues, and at times looks like he doesnt want to hit people. He is a MLB for cripes sake. Everyone keeps saying that when he went down the run D went to crap. No it didnt. It went to crap when Hankins went down. This fan base is very good at trying to pretend that everything the FO does is a great idea. When a HOF player at a position of need is there for the taking and you go the cheap route to stick with more of the same, its a bad move. Period. Wagner would have made this defense much better than LVE can.

phildadon86

Reaction score
66 games in 5 years is over 13 games a year. Can't stay healthy???
Wagner. 4 seasons. No missed time. All pro how many times? How many games did LVE play that he was ineffective because of his neck? Stats dont tell the whole story and you know it.

Remind me. How many times as LVE been an All Pro?

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
He's good, nade a lot of stops last year but doesn't make splash plays and he's not a thumper. A lot of those stats were 4-6 yard tackles past the LOS and they were drag downs not "thumps".

But, all in all he had a good season but I've come to expect players to look better right before they have to negotiate a new contract and then be rather "meh". I hope that LVE plays hungry !

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
No one is denying he had a good season.

Thats just the thing though. He has had ONE good season since his rookie year. The guy cant stay healthy, has neck issues, and at times looks like he doesnt want to hit people. He is a MLB for cripes sake. Everyone keeps saying that when he went down the run D went to crap. No it didnt. It went to crap when Hankins went down. This fan base is very good at trying to pretend that everything the FO does is a great idea. When a HOF player at a position of need is there for the taking and you go the cheap route to stick with more of the same, its a bad move. Period. Wagner would have made this defense much better than LVE can.
All fine and well, except we aren't likely to sign Wagner and don't have either the FO, nor the boldness at our disposal to do so. How many times do Jerry and Stephen have to prove that they are unwilling to spend what it takes to get the prima donnas of the NFL to join this team? We can drool over guys like him 'til the cows come home but at some point, the truth comes to the surface. We'd best hope LVE has another year like the one that just passed. That's what we're faced with whether we like it or not. Not being negative -- just facing the cold, hard facts. Let's hope it all works out.