Leinart Returning to USC...

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
DaBoyz73 said:
You're missing the whole point. He's going to graduate. There is NO reason for him to remain at USC. Get the money while you can.

I'm not missing any point because there isn't one. The fact that there are people still talking about this is rediculous. The man made his decision and it isn't our job to question it. I don't care if he graduates this semester or not, that doesn't change the fact that he wants to continue to play college ball. He wants to play the game and actually have fun doing it. He wants to be part of a game that's still a game and hold off becoming part of a game that is now a business.

As I said before, I'm glad he knows what he wants to do and is doing it. Good for him.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
That is an incredibly naive opinion. If your family is rich and you have plenty of money and can afford to go to school for the hell of it maybe. But if you have to struggle to work your way through college even with a scholarship then make no mistake, you are going for the opportunity to get a better job. I don't know what kind of money Leinarts family has but unless they are rivals to Bill Gates fortune he needs to get in the draft and get it while he can.
If you are struggling to work your way through college via scholarships and jobs (wait......that is what I am doing....)then I would hope that you have the good sense to understand that you are getting a top rate education. An education should stand alone, not as a training period for some job that you might get down the road.

The only thing that college, specifically a degree, does for someone outside the traditional professions is look good on a resume. Noone who goes to business school and makes a 4.0 is guaranteed success in the business world. That comes from natural ability.

History isn't exactly a practical education, unless you want to be a teacher, and I can name a long list of jobs that pay better than teaching with less training involved.

An education can help in the real world, but the sole purpose of college, specifically university, is to educate a person in a specific subject, and quite often a bit more.

If you want to learn a trade, DeVry is an outstanding institution.

(BTW - apologies on the late response - I was at work so that I can pay my tuition, due tomorrow.)

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
hardcorebob said:
Good for him, he should finish his education then come out afterwards. The money will definitely still be there next year.

Not if he rips his knee apart.

Staying in school is dumb. He loses one year of great income.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
dragon_mikal said:
For those guys that are bashing him for not taking the money...

Let's just say you are all short sighted in a big way. There is more to life than money, and Matt is only thinking of the future. He is enjoying his time in college, likes his coach, likes his school, likes the girls he gets at his school, wants to gain a little more experience and work on is mechanics a little more and probably likes the California sun. Hell...I lived in California and enjoyed it a lot. (No place like Texas, though.)

Matt is having fun and doing what he loves. College is totally different from the pros. The NFL is a cutthrout business that will chew you up and spit you out if you don't meet expectations. What if he turns out to be the next Ryan Leaf? He'll be in and out and if he leaves college to go to the pros, then what? Obviously he didn't want to go to a defuct franchise like the 49ers. A team with a stupid owner and as of now, no future.

There have been numerous players that did the exact same thing throughout football history. I'm pretty sure the majority don't suffer career ending injuries. In fact, didn't Peyton Manning do the exact same thing? Roy Williams? They turned out ok.

I'm glad he stayed and, personally, don't really think it's anyone's business questioning a grown man's decisions. Especially when those decisions affect him and no one else.

Besides, chances are he'll stay healthy, win another championship, maybe win another Heisman and turn out to be the #1 pick next year as well.

Yeah, like he could never get laid as an NFL QB. He only gets laid because he is a college QB :eek:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Geeze....a kid does what he wants, stays in school with his friends and teammates because he's loving life right now and wants to do what has never been done before, 3 championships in a row....he shows he's not all about the money, that he's confident in himself, and some of you guys want to make up some silly crap to attack him for it.....get real.

The kid is smarter than most of you guys....he knows what we tell kids all the time, that he's got the rest of his life to work hard and feel the pressure...when you get to the NFL, football isn't going to be as much fun anymore...that's a fact for the vast majority of athletes...it's a business. He's got a laid back California attitude and a ton of confidence....and he knows he's already going to be a millionaire no matter what, whether it's Lloyd's of London paying a multi million dollar policy or someone drafting him in the first round next year.

YOu guys who are so bitter about a kid doing what he wants for a change are probably the same dufuses who think Mike Williams won't go in the first round because he skipped a year of football, the same guys who are attacking Abraham for looking out for #1 instead of sticking with his teammates, a contradiction.

It's one thing to say you'd take the money and run...that's an opinion, but to start calling him a punk and other names and an idiot for doing what he wants instead of letting his decision be driven only by the almighty dollar at his age is just idiotic....I only see a few punks in this thread, and Leinart isn't one of them.

hardcorebob

Through thick and thin
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan said:
Not if he rips his knee apart.

Staying in school is dumb. He loses one year of great income.

Yeah, what if he rips his knee apart in his first year out and his ticket out of the NFL? What does he do for a job without a completed college degree? BTW, jobs look to also see if you actually can start and complete your college degree, specialized training, etc. to see if you can stick with something and finish it all the way through. It shows COMMITMENT to your decisions, which it seems you don't understand too well.

Staying in school isn't dumb and it definitely helps you get a leg up on tards who don't go to school. I can't honestly believe you think staying in school is dumb! Unbelievable! How do you think he is going to get that great income next year if he didn't go to school to begin with? :banghead:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
hardcorebob said:
Yeah, what if he rips his knee apart in his first year out and his ticket out of the NFL? What does he do for a job without a completed college degree? BTW, jobs look to also see if you actually can start and complete your college degree, specialized training, etc. to see if you can stick with something and finish it all the way through. It shows COMMITMENT to your decisions, which it seems you don't understand too well.

Staying in school isn't dumb and it definitely helps you get a leg up on tards who don't go to school. I can't honestly believe you think staying in school is dumb! Unbelievable! How do you think he is going to get that great income next year if he didn't go to school to begin with? :banghead:

Please, with the signing bonus he was sure to get, he would not have to work another day in his life.

With the signing bonus he could have returned to school to finish his degree like Emmitt Smith did.

You make out like getting a BA or whatever degree he is getting will guarantee him a job but not completing it will hurt him on his resume. Yeah I can see it now,

potential employer, Mr.Leinart, I see you dropped out of school, why did you do that.

Answer, um, because I had a shot to be the first overall draft pick in the NFL and get a 50 million contract with a 15 million signing bonus.

Employer ah, here I thought you might have done it for a frivolous reason.

Answer, only if you consider getting $15 million up front frivolous

Both -laughter until they start to cry.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Avery said:
I would have made the leap. You strike while the iron is hot.

The reason you go to college is so that you can get a better-paying job. He would have done that had he declared and have financial security for himself and his kid's kids. There's no guarantee about tomorrow and he's an injury away from never being the same.

San Francisco is really going to be hitting the phones for a tradedown IMO.

No your giving the reason why you would have gone to the pros not his. It was his choice to make and he made the choice that would make him the happiest. I respect that from him that it is not all about the money.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
No your giving the reason why you would have gone to the pros not his. It was his choice to make and he made the choice that would make him the happiest. I respect that from him that it is not all about the money.

Whatever Leinart decided was a good decision because it is what he wants. Whether he stayed in school or went pro doesn't effect me, so I don't care either way. Well, I guess it sort of does in that I am a Cowboys fan and now he will be available in next years draft when Vinny leads Dallas to the #1 pick.

People would complain no matter what he decided. I remember people complaining and mocking Ricky Williams when he signed that initial contract with the Sainsts that was heavily incentive based. A pro athlete decideds to try and earn his money based on performance and not potential and he was ridiculed. There are plenty of athletes that do things that deserve criticism and Leinart is not one of them. Yet. :D

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Whatever Leinart decided was a good decision because it is what he wants. Whether he stayed in school or went pro doesn't effect me, so I don't care either way. Well, I guess it sort of does in that I am a Cowboys fan and now he will be available in next years draft when Vinny leads Dallas to the #1 pick.

People would complain no matter what he decided. I remember people complaining and mocking Ricky Williams when he signed that initial contract with the Sainsts that was heavily incentive based. A pro athlete decideds to try and earn his money based on performance and not potential and he was ridiculed. There are plenty of athletes that do things that deserve criticism and Leinart is not one of them. Yet. :D

Well I agree except about Dallas getting next year #1 draft pick weather Vinny plays or not. As for Leinart I think we do agree as far as it was his choice to make and he did what he felt was the best for him