Leinart Returning to USC...

jimmy40

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
OR one Heisman...two straight championships (he already has) and a broken leg with no big pay day like he is all but guaranteed today...

School will ALWAYS be there...he would have more then enough $$$ to go back on his terms...the window of opportunity and at the level he finished this year may not be there again...it is a risk.
Absolutely it's a risk. I wonder if he would have declared if San Fran wasn't such a mess right now? I would think seeing your head coach say no way to going to San Fran would probably weigh into your decision.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Absolutely it's a risk. I wonder if he would have declared if San Fran wasn't such a mess right now? I would think seeing your head coach say no way to going to San Fran would probably weigh into your decision.
That may very well be the root to his answer...I just had a buddy come over and say...did you hear Leihart is not declaring? Also said he has 18 more credit hours before graduation...what's he thinking???

You can get those anytime...I bet there is another underlying reason besides another national title...you may be right on.

Dyluke

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
That may very well be the root to his answer...I just had a buddy come over and say...did you hear Leihart is not declaring? Also said he has 18 more credit hours before graduation...what's he thinking???

You can get those anytime...I bet there is another underlying reason besides another national title...you may be right on.

How bout not wanting to play for the 49'ers ;)

Woods

Reaction score
This is a very risky move by Leinart.

Just imagine if he suffers a serious injury?

He's graduating anyway this semester, according to another poster.

He can ONLY go down in the 2006 draft.

If his future occupation is going to be playing football, it would be smarter to make the move being in a position of strength. And he can't be in a better position than right now.

Who knows what happens next year?

SmellsLikeTuna

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
What an idiotic post. Why would any QB want to declare for the draft knowing they would be the first pick when San Fran owns the pick? San Fran doesn't even have a coach. I'm sure those coeds wouldn't want him after he's in the NFL. :rolleyes:

Dude, talk about an idiotic post...........I guess a 40 million dollar contract wouldn't be any incentive to declare??? I guess you haven't noticed that there is NOWHERE TO GO BUT DOWN!!!

And it doesn't matter WHO has the number 1 pick!!!! News flash for you...the team with the number one pick NEVER looks good. That's why they have that pick!! They were the worst team. What does that mean for the long term....or even the next year?? Why don't you ask the Chargers. They were such a pathetic franchise that (fellow little *****) Eli Manning wouldn't play for them. How did they do again this year??

He is comfortable at USC and has a cast surrounding him which almost guarantees his success. He is an icon there and can hide behind that rather than face the scrutiny that being the #1 overall pick will bring (ask Eli).

I hope he gets injured for the entire year and winds up a late round pick. Millions lost will be a lesson to him and those who follow.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
It's odd how I take the 'strike the iron while it's hot' philosophy in the NFL but shun it in the NBA. I think it's the three year rule whereas the NBA is truly drafting 'diaper dandies' and dilluting the college talent pool.

I think he enjoys the life at USC as well. He's constantly dating Hollywood actresses and is the 'big man on campus' that no one wants to mess with. In the NFL, he'll be the guy that the vets will yell at when things go wrong and lug around luggage for his OL and basically be their slave until he earns his stripes.

Niner fans must be hating life. A week ago, they had visions of Carroll and Leinart dancing in their head. This week, the harsh reality that no one wants to help them rebuild their shattered franchise.

For them, I can't think of a better Christmas present. :D

DayOne1960

Old School D
Reaction score
I am very happy to see Leinart doing what makes him happy. So many times these days young kids see dollar signs and make quick up their minds without thinking things through.

He has a chance to do some amazing things at USC. Good on him for sticking with it.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
That is an incredibly naive opinion. If your family is rich and you have plenty of money and can afford to go to school for the hell of it maybe. But if you have to struggle to work your way through college even with a scholarship then make no mistake, you are going for the opportunity to get a better job. I don't know what kind of money Leinarts family has but unless they are rivals to Bill Gates fortune he needs to get in the draft and get it while he can.
And Bill Gates was a college dropout, just think how much money he would have made had he completed his education...

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
I am glad he is returning. Next year with Vt coming back at the helm again and with JJ's comments today we will probably drafting pretty high next year so maybe we will have a shot at him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Winer fans have to be disappointed with this news.

:rolleyes: That is really a shame.

jimmy40

Reaction score
SmellsLikeTuna said:
Dude, talk about an idiotic post...........I guess a 40 million dollar contract wouldn't be any incentive to declare??? I guess you haven't noticed that there is NOWHERE TO GO BUT DOWN!!!

And it doesn't matter WHO has the number 1 pick!!!! News flash for you...the team with the number one pick NEVER looks good. That's why they have that pick!! They were the worst team. What does that mean for the long term....or even the next year?? Why don't you ask the Chargers. They were such a pathetic franchise that (fellow little *****) Eli Manning wouldn't play for them. How did they do again this year??

He is comfortable at USC and has a cast surrounding him which almost guarantees his success. He is an icon there and can hide behind that rather than face the scrutiny that being the #1 overall pick will bring (ask Eli).

I hope he gets injured for the entire year and winds up a late round pick. Millions lost will be a lesson to him and those who follow.
I hope you get injured and can't type anymore.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
How's this for a prediction.....

Leinart falls in the draft next year.....to be available when we draft.

And I don't think we will be drafting 11th next year. I think we will have between the 17th and 24th pick next year.

Yes, I'd say that is quite a drop in the draft and quite a bit less money. The NFL loves you when you are hot.....when you aren't..........well, you know how it goes.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Jimz31 said:

And I don't think we will be drafting 11th next year. I think we will have between the 17th and 24th pick next year.

Yes, I'd say that is quite a drop in the draft and quite a bit less money. The NFL loves you when you are hot.....when you aren't..........well, you know how it goes.
Could happen.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
You can't go any higher than overall number 1, so this isn't about the money with Leinart. I have to admire him wanting a shot at a 3rd National Title and maybe a 2nd Heisman.

I don't think I could have made the decision he did.

DaBoyz73

Reaction score
Hostile said:
You can't go any higher than overall number 1, so this isn't about the money with Leinart. I have to admire him wanting a shot at a 3rd National Title and maybe a 2nd Heisman.

I don't think I could have made the decision he did.

I woluldn't have, I would have want pro.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Jimz31 said:

If we are picking 24th, that means Henson had a good year so there is no reason to even entertain drafting Leinart. :D

TDHND

Reaction score
That wasn't the type of news a ND fan like me was wanting to hear.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
For those guys that are bashing him for not taking the money...

Let's just say you are all short sighted in a big way. There is more to life than money, and Matt is only thinking of the future. He is enjoying his time in college, likes his coach, likes his school, likes the girls he gets at his school, wants to gain a little more experience and work on is mechanics a little more and probably likes the California sun. Hell...I lived in California and enjoyed it a lot. (No place like Texas, though.)

Matt is having fun and doing what he loves. College is totally different from the pros. The NFL is a cutthrout business that will chew you up and spit you out if you don't meet expectations. What if he turns out to be the next Ryan Leaf? He'll be in and out and if he leaves college to go to the pros, then what? Obviously he didn't want to go to a defuct franchise like the 49ers. A team with a stupid owner and as of now, no future.

There have been numerous players that did the exact same thing throughout football history. I'm pretty sure the majority don't suffer career ending injuries. In fact, didn't Peyton Manning do the exact same thing? Roy Williams? They turned out ok.

I'm glad he stayed and, personally, don't really think it's anyone's business questioning a grown man's decisions. Especially when those decisions affect him and no one else.

Besides, chances are he'll stay healthy, win another championship, maybe win another Heisman and turn out to be the #1 pick next year as well.

DaBoyz73

Reaction score
dragon_mikal said:
For those guys that are bashing him for not taking the money...

Let's just say you are all short sighted in a big way. There is more to life than money, and Matt is only thinking of the future. He is enjoying his time in college, likes his coach, likes his school, likes the girls he gets at his school, wants to gain a little more experience and work on is mechanics a little more and probably likes the California sun. Hell...I lived in California and enjoyed it a lot. (No place like Texas, though.)

Matt is having fun and doing what he loves. College is totally different from the pros. The NFL is a cutthrout business that will chew you up and spit you out if you don't meet expectations. What if he turns out to be the next Ryan Leaf? He'll be in and out and if he leaves college to go to the pros, then what? Obviously he didn't want to go to a defuct franchise like the 49ers. A team with a stupid owner and as of now, no future.

There have been numerous players that did the exact same thing throughout football history. I'm pretty sure the majority don't suffer career ending injuries. In fact, didn't Peyton Manning do the exact same thing? Roy Williams? They turned out ok.

I'm glad he stayed and, personally, don't really think it's anyone's business questioning a grown man's decisions. Especially when those decisions affect him and no one else.

Besides, chances are he'll stay healthy, win another championship, maybe win another Heisman and turn out to be the #1 pick next year as well.

You're missing the whole point. He's going to graduate. There is NO reason for him to remain at USC. Get the money while you can.