Leonard Fournette released by Jaguars

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Just please tell me he does not end up on the Eagles.

If I am Washington I pick him up. How much more bad press could there actually be at this point?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Just please tell me he does not end up on the Eagles.

If I am Washington I pick him up. How much more bad press could there actually be at this point?

I wouldn't worry about it.

Fournette is not a guy you need to worry about. He's a bust.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The days of players staying with teams past their first contract are over, now some aren't even playing out that contract.
I don't think there is much evidence that teams aren't staying with players throughout their rookie contracts as long as they have been effective. I think Fournette was a special circumstance.

As for players staying with a team past their first contract, that's not completely over, it's just not a certainty. It is a case by case thing, and probably applies differently to players at different positions. For example, a team wouldn't want to lose a proven QB after his rookie contract is up.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Fournette isn't a star player, but almost 1700 all purpose yards last year does not indicate a bust. It all depends on his attitude.

Well.. I could pull any RB's name out of a hat and give them similar volume and they will produce at a high level.

I do not care if Washington or Philly get him.

Philly is better of with Miles Sanders anyways.

cern

Reaction score
the mere fact his attitude is in question at all is a red flag. scorpions and frogs. leopards and spots.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it.

Fournette is not a guy you need to worry about. He's a bust.

My man, Fournette is not a bust.

He had almost 1700 yards from scrimmage last year and 103 yards less than Zeke, playing 1 less game than Zeke.

He was the Jags only real offensive weapon with a rookie QB starting who was picked in the 6th round of the draft.

He just turned 25. He's probably asking for a boatload of money from 1 of the smallest market teams in the NFL and the team is clearly getting rid of the old regime.

Looks like they are 1 of the front runners for the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes. Fournette is the last of their top 5-10 draft picks in the last 5 years ranging from 2012-2017..

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I hope Tampa Bay doesn't get him. Man if New Orleans picks him up on the cheap and adds him to Kamara.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well.. I could pull any RB's name out of a hat and give them similar volume and they will produce at a high level.

I do not care if Washington or Philly get him.

Philly is better of with Miles Sanders anyways.
I disagree - not every RB is capable of 1,100+ rushing yards and 500+ receiving yards. And while it may be true there are some others that might put up similar stats with the same volume, if they did they wouldn't be busts either. They would be considered to have done a strong job at their position. And before you say the difference is that some of those may not have been drafted as high, Fournette's draft position could mean he isn't as strong as the Jags had hoped for, but that is not the same as a bust. The standard isn't either superstar or bust. There are levels in between.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I disagree - not every RB is capable of 1,100+ rushing yards and 500+ receiving yards. And while it may be true there are some others that might put up similar stats with the same volume, if they did they wouldn't be busts either. They would be considered to have done a strong job at their position. And before you say the difference is that some of those may not have been drafted as high, Fournette's draft position could mean he isn't as strong as the Jags had hoped for, but that is not the same as a bust. The standard isn't either superstar or bust. There are levels in between.

Ok.. He's not a bust. He's a solid player that isn't worth all the hype. He was drafted to be Zeke. Zeke started the trend in RB's being picked high again. In terms of that he is a bust.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok.. He's not a bust. He's a solid player that isn't worth all the hype. He was drafted to be Zeke. Zeke started the trend in RB's being picked high again. In terms of that he is a bust.
I guess we just disagree on the term "bust". To me a bust is a player who comes nowhere near the potential he was thought to have - a complete failure. Not one who does well but falls a little short. If that's the standard almost every player is either a bust or a draft steal because almost no player is going to be exactly the player the team hoped for when they were drafted. I just don't see everything in extreme terms like that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I guess we just disagree on the term "bust". To me a bust is a player who comes nowhere near the potential he was thought to have - a complete failure. Not one who does well but falls a little short. If that's the standard almost every player is either a bust or a draft steal because almost no player is going to be exactly the player the team hoped for when they were drafted. I just don't see everything in extreme terms like that.

Well.. If I use a premium draft pick and I cut him before the contract is up then I don't view it as an extreme by calling him a bust.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Not at all. He is just around that 5 years mark and has been used up. Has had injury issues and probably played for one of the worst lines, teams, and offenses since he has been in the league.
around that 5 year mark? He has on played 3 years

Flamma

Reaction score
Well.. If I use a premium draft pick and I cut him before the contract is up then I don't view it as an extreme by calling him a bust.

Your last post pretty much spelled it out. Other than that I really don't know how to categorize him. He was picked 4th overall and didn't make it through his rookie contract. If he's not a bust per se, talent wise, he certainly is to the jags.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They didn't cut him because of his production, but I guess it doesn't really matter even if it was an attitude problem that caused them to cut him, so this is a fair enough point. The one caveat to that would be that it isn't too late for him to get his act together, and if he does that he can make sure he isn't an NFL bust even if he was one for Jacksonville.

DFWJC

Reaction score
No team took him off waivers today.
So Fournette is officially a FA

Tussinman

Reaction score
Interested to see the bucs. When there defense was healthy during the last 8 weeks they where a top 10 unit in the league. You factor in that Brady isn't going to throw 30 picks, 2 wide recievers that are all-pro, + a good RB that can keep the chains moving and you have a solid overall team